11 Jul, 2009

Turning off and tuning out

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

Dear friends, my brain is full. I am twitchy. My thoughts have been fragmented, fractured, and frankly, all over the place. That’s why I’m going into a self-imposed media detox for a few days.

I’m tired of feeling like a mental magpie. There have been times these past few weeks when I have felt my attention span withering away to almost nothing. I can’t do anything without  – HEY LOOK, SOMETHING SHINY!

And it’s getting worse.

So. I am making a proclamation. Next week (M-F) I will not be:

• working
  • checking email
  • poking around Facebook
  • Twittering
  • watching television or movies
  • reading blogs or randomly surfing
  • using my iPhone
  • etc.

I need to restore some calm and enjoy some quality time with my family … and this is the best way of doing it.

So see ya later gators!

17 Responses to "Turning off and tuning out"

1 | lacoop

July 11th, 2009 at 10:43 am

So this is what happens to bloggers when they hit the wall.

2 | Lynn

July 11th, 2009 at 10:50 am

Have a peaceful week…catch you the week after!

3 | mrsgryphon

July 11th, 2009 at 11:18 am

Have a lovely week – it’s so refreshing to turn it all off for a while :)

4 | Sharon

July 11th, 2009 at 11:42 am

I think I should do the same I have a hard time thinking about my papers due to the fact I have FB and Blogs to read.

I think since you won’t be here I won’t either.
Have anice week off and I will to. SInce I have 3 papers due in the next 5 weeks.

Power to SILENCE!
;)

5 | Lee

July 11th, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Good for you!

See you on the other side.

6 | porter

July 11th, 2009 at 3:12 pm

yahoo! good for you.

7 | Julie

July 11th, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Good idea…

8 | Ginger

July 11th, 2009 at 3:57 pm

That sounds very refreshing. Have a wonderful, restful week!

9 | Laura

July 11th, 2009 at 4:03 pm

I hope you have a revitalizing week sans media… I’m sure a break is well-deserved!!!

10 | Scattered Mom

July 12th, 2009 at 5:34 pm

I’ve been doing that for the past 2 weeks, with one more to go. Oh sure I’m occasionally checking my blog and twitter, but for max 10 min a day. Otherwise, I’ve been coasting! No TV, even. It’s nice.

The weird thing? I lost about 5 lbs almost immediately. Ahh, I think that is telling me something….

11 | Amy @ Muddy Boots

July 13th, 2009 at 7:35 am

Good for you. May you return restored…

12 | Chantal

July 13th, 2009 at 9:22 am

Enjoy! I plan on doing that when I get my holidays in Aug. Take Care.

13 | Rebecca

July 13th, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Enjoy the week! I often think about doing this but always get sucked back in..

Good for you!

14 | Carrie

July 13th, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Enjoy! We went ‘off the grid’ during our recent trip and it was quite refreshing. My hubby got a little twitchy without his internet, but I really enjoyed being unplugged from it all.

See you in a while!

15 | Javamom

July 15th, 2009 at 11:48 am

Hey, it’s Wednesday, and no post from you! You are doing great! Hope you had a great break.

16 | Sara

July 15th, 2009 at 8:21 pm

enjoy and have a peaceful week!

17 | jennyjag

July 17th, 2009 at 6:28 pm

There you go, inspiring yet again. Enjoy the break!

• Horse Racing Tips: Very interesting subject, thank you for putting up.
  • Alison in Ottawa: I was disappointed to find out the minimum age is 16. While it makes sense, we will have to wait for a while before we go.
  • andrea tomkins: Claudette: I left it for a few months and am actually just giving in another read through now and making a few more changes before a friend reads it o
  • joy: does Piper ever get ticks? I hate those little b*st*rds. we are forever finding them on our dog. in fact, the vet says one of ours has Lyme disease
  • Claudette: ya. ;) Are you still writing your embargo book?
  • andrea tomkins: Thanks Claudette! Some short thoughts in return: - The eldest daughter and I have virtually eliminated beef from our diet, although I can't say t
  • Claudette: I really enjoy these weekend reading posts, I'm glad you keep doing them! Here's my view on some of the articles: I like meat and won't be giving i

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.