28 Oct, 2009

Our family spaghetti sauce recipe

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

I am not sure if I posted this before, but Mark made spaghetti sauce the other night and the recipe (as well as the recipe card) is too good not to share.

This  was given to Mark by his mother Mary. I love the p.s. at the end. Don’t you? You might need to click the image to enlarge:

Spaghetti sauce recipe (1)

Spaghetti sauce recipe (2)

Tags:

10 Responses to "Our family spaghetti sauce recipe"

1 | Don

October 28th, 2009 at 9:32 am

It’s those scribbles and ps’s that mean the world to me. They are why I buy used cookbooks. I search for those culinary tomes that were mistakenly discarded, filled with scribbles amending recipes, adding hints, or providing tips.

Thank-you for sharing your recipe card. It looks very well worn.

May I ask if all of your cards are typed like that? My better half and I have been filling a recipe box with handwritten recipe cards.

October 28th, 2009 at 9:38 am

I KNOW. I love these too, for the same reason you do.

This card is very well used, as you can tell. :)

I don’t use recipe cards. My recipes come from two sources (1) my Joy of Cooking (2) recipes I’ve cut out of Canadian Living and added to a special binder I created just for this purpose. (Neither of which are nearly as special as a recipe card!)

3 | bushidoka

October 28th, 2009 at 10:19 am

Here is ours

No meat, but that could easily be added. And we use it for pizza sauce as well.

4 | Betsy Mae

October 28th, 2009 at 11:15 am

I agree with you and Don that the notes make the recipes so special. I use recipe cards but I also use some cookbooks and cut out recipes etc but I always write comments on them. It’s reall neat to go back to a favourite recipe that gets forgotten for a short time (usually because I tend to over do recipes once we like them) and see what I’ve written. Thanks for sharing.

5 | Judy

October 28th, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Thanks for the recipe! I am always looking for spaghetti sauce recipes, as I hate the ones in a jar and how much sodium them have! I love the notes and how well worn it is. Recipes like this tell a story just by how thye look. I have one of my grandmothers cookbooks and I know which recipes she used a lot based on the condition of the pages.

I get recipes from so many places. My cookbooks are a bit like novels, I read them, gain knowledge, and reference for new ideas frequently. They are always filled with notes, what worked, what didn’t, etc. My husband hates it, so has his own system for keeping recipes he uses.

Then there are the two homemade cookbooks. One is of family recipes from growing up, I typed them all and explained what made it a family recipe, included some photos of me making the recipes, laminated it, bound it and gave it to my mom for Christmas a few years ago. Lots of tears with that one!

The other homemade cookbook is an old hard cover school notebook from South Africa filled with recipes I got while there, and then everything I have cut out of magazines, newspapers, been given, etc since then.

6 | BeachMama

October 28th, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Love the recipe card. Did Mark’s Mom make him a recipe box when he left home?

October 30th, 2009 at 7:40 am

I think she just gave him a few recipes to start. But I think a recipe box or a cookbook is a great gift to give someone… ! Maybe I’ll save that one for when the girls leave home. :)

8 | Know More Do More Monday: cooking with kids >> a peek inside the fishbowl

July 26th, 2010 at 12:06 pm

[…] so instead we talked about our favourite dinner-related meals. Emma immediately suggested spaghetti – which was a good one – but the idea here is to try a new meal. So we talked about our favourite […]

9 | Scratch cooking >> a peek inside the fishbowl

September 22nd, 2010 at 8:49 am

[…] That’s a long list. I’m not sure about you, but there are a few things in there I don’t recognize. Alarm bells go off for me when I see anything that’s hydrogenated, artificially flavoured, and corn syrupy. And I am pretty sure that many of us can make a decent meat sauce that doesn’t include half of the things listed above. (Hey, here’s a good one you can use!) […]

10 | The secret’s in the sauce. The spaghetti sauce that is. >> a peek inside the fishbowl

August 28th, 2011 at 11:13 am

[…] get something out of the way here. Mark doesn’t like my tomato sauce. He really only likes his mom’s spaghetti sauce recipe. And I get that: (a) the man doesn’t really even like tomatoes and (b) it his mom’s […]

• Ang Antos: I would respectfully disagree that the parks should open up individual reviews for each site, part of camping is the adventure, the not knowing and di
  • Maureen Kilpatrick: I love reading books and last year I read the most I’ve ever read since I started tracking on Goodreads. It was mostly due to the pandemic and the l
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive weathering - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] am happy to say that I am still making my bed every day and reading lots of books. I don’t want to oversell it, but the making the bed
  • jdope: It is ridiculously addictive, if you can get your hands on some it won't last long. FYI The ingredients on the Ikea Mustard Dill Jar: Canola Oil, M
  • Lisa from Iroquois: Totally get why you saved that calendar. You know, the way it is designed, you could easily create an slip of paper with 2021 calendar and glue it i
  • Stephanie Henderson: Thank you very much, you're an outstanding author! Maintain providing us with excellent stuff later on.
  • valiasi: So hard to say. Yet, knowing your tendency for either opening or finishing can help you understand what habits you need to work against and what parts