20 Jan, 2010

Ten things: Ten Characteristics of a Good Friend

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

• kind and caring
  • loyal
  • generous
  • funny
  • honest
  • trustworthy
  • smart [this one was debated and discussed quite a bit]
  • friendly
  • forgiving
  • fun
Tags: ,

Print this post Print this post

9 Responses to "Ten things: Ten Characteristics of a Good Friend"

1 | A Crafty Mom

January 20th, 2010 at 9:31 am

Great list!! I would say smart is relative, and even though I would choose that too, I enjoy the company of some of my less-than-brilliant friends at times too ;)

Kind and caring is a must-have, and I think funny would be pretty close to the top of my list. If you can’t make me laugh, life is too short!!

2 | Laura

January 20th, 2010 at 4:32 pm

I agree! Everyone should have people surrounding them with those qualities.

3 | lacoop

January 20th, 2010 at 5:03 pm

My wife is my best friend and she has all these characteristics.

OK, stop making faces, it’s true and I’m tellin’ all the world!

4 | lillyann

May 25th, 2011 at 8:13 am

its not easy to obtain a good pal bt once gained its difficult to maintain

5 | daisy102

March 27th, 2012 at 8:50 am

being a good friend can sometimes be hard

6 | Tommy

July 3rd, 2012 at 8:58 am

sometimes beinng a true friend is quite hard ;)

7 | anitahgloria

July 20th, 2012 at 7:00 am

its true i don’t think i have a true friend.but myself i believe i can qualify to be a true friend.

8 | Nora

August 13th, 2013 at 3:57 am

I think find a good friend is very hard ,at all is not good freind.or mayby i hadnot,but my best and best friend just is my love.

9 | malihe

November 27th, 2013 at 4:37 am

my best friend is God.He gives me beutiful mind and lovy heart.

NAC Ottawa family events

Fall family fun fun at Saunders Farm!

Creatures of Light Nature's Bioluminescence at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Litterless lunch solutions at terra20

Zen Kitchen is open! Use code FISHBOWL for free dessert

Nepean Visual Arts Centre

Visit tThe Village Quire in Westboro Ottawa!

bucketlist

etc.

• Chris Hayes: Very nice list! I just went to Lime Kiln Trail today with my dog.. needless to say she loved it. Thanks for the awesome suggestions, should keep m
  • Safe and Sound: Totally agree with lacoop. We're all trying to send positive discussions and examples while youtube/movies/advertising are full of absolutely vile, b
  • Lynn: I've been feeling very sad about the Jian story, combined with some other stories on CBC lately (did you hear about the hockey boys in BC who traded n
  • Stacey K: I think that we need to start conversations about consent with our kids as early as possible (not in a sexual context, but in a" its your body, you ha
  • lacoop: sigh...Sometimes I think things are getting better...and then other times I just wonder. This is a concern for us as well, with both a son and a daug
  • Tudor: So, I'm actually using the Jian thing as a chance to talk to my son about consent. There's been a lot of talk lately about positive consent, ever sinc
  • Three stories, and talking to our daughters about the creepy guys, AGAIN. >> a peek inside the fishbowl: […] already written about the issue of creepy guys here before. Yet here I am again. You know why? Because the issue of the creepy guys will nev

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 850 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• I'm sharing some of my favourite lunch-related items over on the terra20 blog today. Whether you're packing a lunch for work, for your kids, or just eating at your desk at home, I bet there is something there for you. Check it out!

- #
  • I have a new post up at the MediaSmarts blog this week. It's my response to a question that I'm asked quite often: What’s the best age to give a kid an iPod touch?

- #
  • My latest post at the MediaSmarts website is about passwords. Is this something you've talked about with your kids? Given the proliferation of devices in households (often one per person now) it might be an important topic for discussion. How have you handled passwords in your household?

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: