02 Feb, 2010

Take a moment for René Faucher

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Yaktivism

Edited to add:

You know, so much of blogging and social media is about branding and self-promotion– the look-at-me look-at-me. Can we take a minute to talk about others today?  Please help spread the word about this cause. Good karma comes to those who help, even if it’s in a small way. Thank you!

I didn’t hear about this until we got back from our holiday. If you live in Ottawa I’m sure you heard about it.

René Faucher, a 40-year-old father of three, was playing a pickup hockey game at the University of Ottawa Sports Complex when he hit a rut and crashed headfirst into the boards. The impact resulted in a serious spinal injury, leaving him paralyzed from the chest down.

Doctors are seeing signs of improvement – he’s off the respirator and I heard that he’s gaining some feeling in his fingers – but he’s going to be under medical care for a long time.

What makes this story particularly devastating to me is that this is the kind of thing that could happen to anyone. I’m not a hockey player, but I certainly skate, many of us here in Ottawa do. So many of us have been there, lacing up our skates, taking turns around a rink, indoors or out. It’s an undeniable part of our national fabric. This could have been me, or you, or one of our kids.

Faucher and his wife Dianne Douglas have three children under the age of five. He is self-employed and does not have long-term disability insurance.

René’s friends and colleagues are rallying and raising funds for him and his family.

I was thrilled to hear that the Ottawa 67’s are hosting a René Faucher Family Fun Day on February 7th at 2:00pm. (Yay 67’S!) Half of all proceeds from advanced online ticket sales and walk-in traffic purchased in René’s name will be donated to the family. Please use this special link to purchase tickets ahead of time.

Families are encouraged to come out to the game in support of René and his family, watch the game and send them their well wishes.

Event organizers will be sharing pictures and messages with René and all his supporters during the game via Twitter. Whether you’re at the game or not, you can tweet René before, during and after the game by including #getwellrene in your message.

There’ll also be a table set up in the concourse where you can get your photo taken and sign a get-well 67’s flag.

If you can’t make the game you can can donate to the fund online or at Scotiabank.  For more information on how to donate to the family, please visit www.faucherdouglastrustfund.com/ or join the Friends of René Faucher Facebook group.

My family will be at the game on Sunday. I hope yours will be too! If you see us, please stop by and say hello!

5 Responses to "Take a moment for René Faucher"

1 | Patti Church

February 2nd, 2010 at 9:32 am

Glad you’re coming. You will find us at a table in the lobby where we will have a flag to sign plus we will be taking pictures to load up for Rene.

See you at the game!

2 | twinmomplusone

February 2nd, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Thanks for posting this! This is a story that’s close to my heart. I don’t know Rene personally. But my husband plays hockey in 2 local leagues and there’s been much talk about this amongst thses men and they all realize it could have been one of them. That’s why money ahs been collected in changerooms. Amazing how hockey unifies people in this country.

3 | Dee

February 4th, 2010 at 12:33 am

I went to Carleton U when Rene was there. Nice guy. Deserved some good vibes.

If you’re like me — I want to help out but a) sports aren’t my thing and b) I want 100% of my donation to go to Rene+family – visit http://www.faucherdouglastrustfund.com/ and donate through Paypal.

4 | Rebecca

February 4th, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Thanks for the post Andrea. I’ve linked back to this post from my blog too. I wish we could go, we already have committments!

5 | Jen McGahan

February 27th, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Hope you can make it out to our “Friends of Rene Faucher Live and Silent Auction”
this Wednesday, March 3rd at Foundation Restaurant, 7:00 p.m.
Thanks for spreading the word!