15 Apr, 2010

Perfect gift for little artists

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|Oh! Things!

Mark’s parents gave Sarah a really pretty colour-by-number set for her birthday.

The resulting artwork is so sweet; totally worth framing:

Colour by number

It’s made by Djeco. (Do yourself a favour and click through to their website. It is a work of art. No joke.)

We’ve purchased paint-by-number kits from Djeco before and enjoyed them very much. The new one comes with felt-tip markers instead of paint.

Two things stand out about this particular set. (1) This colour-by-numbers doesn’t actually have any numbers printed on the artwork. I love this. No bleed-through! (2) The finished results are charming and beautiful, and could be hung just about anywhere. Think of how proud your child would be to see his/her work hanging in the front hall!

The set comes with several pieces of art (printed on a sturdy canvas-like material, not paper), brightly coloured dual-sided markers (each one has a thin side and a thick side), and a booklet. The booklet suggests which colours to use.

I really love it.

Sarah has been working so hard on her art. It does my heart good to see her efforts pay off and result in something so pretty.

11 Responses to "Perfect gift for little artists"

1 | BeachMama

April 15th, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Oooh, I love this. One day my children will like paint by numbers :)

2 | Rebecca

April 15th, 2010 at 7:56 pm

sooo lovely.

And just checked out the website – it’s fun and cute!

3 | Lynn

April 16th, 2010 at 7:06 am

These are so awesome! Thanks for the link!

4 | Kaitlin

April 16th, 2010 at 11:28 am

Super lovely. Where did you buy them?

April 16th, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I asked my MIL and she got them at Tag Along Toys in Kanata. :)

6 | Alison in Ottawa

April 16th, 2010 at 5:35 pm

After doing an internet search I found much stock from Djeco at Three Monkeys in the Glebe (just south of Bank and Sunnyside) … there were so many to choose from ! It was really hard to decide which ones to buy. And then I had to resist buying more of the wonderful Waldorf dolls, toys and art supplies! Hello birthday presents for the daughters and nieces!

7 | Alison in Ottawa

April 16th, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Sorry that would be at Three Little Monkeys :)

8 | Chantal

April 16th, 2010 at 8:40 pm

my niece turns 8 next weekend and I think you just suggested the perfect gift! Thanks.

9 | Laura

April 17th, 2010 at 9:22 am

I love this company! Santa has been bringing my kids these kits for a few years and they are special. If you like at Tag Along Toys pick it up – they fly off the shelves.

10 | Annie

April 17th, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Don’t think that these are just for children – I bought myself one of the felt-tip colouring kits as a little Christmas present to myself – LOVE IT!! It is rather meditative (which is good for me these days!!).

11 | Giveaway alert: The greatest of goods from 3 Little Monkeys >> a peek inside the fishbowl

April 28th, 2010 at 8:23 am

[…] art kit (the same brand I wrote about here). The girls have been diligently working on these ever since the package arrived. Emma even brought […]

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999. The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.