27 Jul, 2010

Guess who got new glasses?

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Oh! Things!

Sarah did.

Here she is when she first got her glasses in March 2008:

First glasses

I remember when she first got them. I was weepy about her pretty face being covered by glasses (I am so over that) and also freaked out that she hadn’t been seeing properly this whole time.  (Lesson learned: get your kids eyes checked! In Ontario it’s free until they’re 18.)

Anyway, here she is now:

someone got new glasses

At first she was going to get the same kind of frames, but she kept coming back to this pair. It’s hard to tell by the photo, but the frames are copper-coloured, with shiny aquamarine legs (or are they called arms?).

By the way, the service and selection at Bonoptics on Carling Avenue (near Westgate) is fabulous. They specialize in children’s eyewear. I recommend them to anyone looking for kid-sized glasses.

I am not entirely sure if the lady helping us was convinced that these were the right pair for Sarah. She kept saying things like: “Those glasses sure are DIFFERENT.” And I agree, they are a big departure, but I think they suit her perfectly! All kidding aside, the lady helping us was actually very helpful and patient. She even called around to see if some frames came in different colours, and didn’t seem to mind that it took us 20 minutes to pick out a new glasses case. :)

We are all happy with Sarah’s choice of eyewear, especially Sarah.

Print this post Print this post

11 Responses to "Guess who got new glasses?"

1 | Stephanie

July 27th, 2010 at 7:49 am

Oooh, I ADORE them! They really make her eyes pop. Great choice :)

2 | mapsgirl

July 27th, 2010 at 7:51 am

Wow! They are fantastic :) She’s beautiful!

3 | Amanda

July 27th, 2010 at 7:55 am

They look fantastic! Very sharp! It’s great that she likes them too and doesn’t mind wearing them. She sure did pick a great pair….very hip and sophisticated.

4 | Christine

July 27th, 2010 at 7:59 am

She’s got great taste, those are very cool!! I wish they had funky glasses like that when I was young! I would have probably enjoyed wearing them more!!

5 | Finola

July 27th, 2010 at 10:17 am

She looks gorgeous. I love glasses on kids, and both my girls are on their way to needing glasses (it was inevitable with their genetics), so thanks for the store recommendation too!

6 | Betsy Mae

July 27th, 2010 at 11:19 am

GREAT choice! I think they suit her really well, they are nice. She’s a beauty.

7 | Bob LeDrew

July 27th, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Very Taylor Swifty picture. Nice specs. I mostly wear contacts so my cheap side quails at upgrading my glasses, but there seem to be a lot of very cool frames out there these days. Maybe I’ll give up the contacts… or not.

8 | Laura

July 27th, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Sarah looks lovely – she’s rockin’ the glasses. What a beautiful girl!

9 | Natasha

July 27th, 2010 at 6:55 pm

I love the new glasses. Sarah looks so grown up.

10 | Shannon

July 27th, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Great choice!! She looks great in them.

11 | Theresa

July 29th, 2010 at 5:26 pm

She is totally rockin’ the glasses. I LOVE them! I think ‘different’ glasses are the best. My daughter is six and has been wearing glasses for just over two years. I echo your recommendation to get your kids eyes checked, especially just before they start school. After it was determined that my daughter needed glasses our optometrist said that we really had to be insistent that she wore them…that wasn’t a problem. My heart just about broke, when the first thing she said, trying on her new glasses, was ‘wow, I can see so much better.’ We just bought new glasses too, I should send you a pic when they come in :)

NAC Ottawa events

Christmas ideas from Saunders Farm!

Frogs - a Chorus of Colours - at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Funhaven - Ottawa's destination for birthday parties and fun

terra20 Ottawa celebrates Earth Month

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

IMAX 3D - Journey to the South Pacific

bucketlist

etc.

• andrea tomkins: You make a good point lacoop, we are definitely not alone on this planet! Easing our dependence on cars is a good idea for many reasons. I do wish the
  • lacoop: We also made the decision to be a one-car family. We also make a point of biking and walking where ever possible: cheaper, better for the planet, an
  • andrea tomkins: Me too! It's really inspiring!
  • Lisa from Iroquois: Love the Yellowberry story.
  • Michelle: Yeah I got a rude awakening about the loading the offer stuff to your phone and it was for spending over $100 for 10000 points . The customer service
  • andrea tomkins: I don't this has ever happened before... but the winner according to random.org is commenter #87 - Nicola - the VERY last person to enter. :) Congr
  • andrea tomkins: Comments are officially closed to new entries! Stay tuned for the winner!

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (14) and Sarah (12). I am the Editor of the Kitchissippi Times as well as Capital Parent Newspaper. I'm also a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999 (which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which). The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 660 and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's my latest:
Created with flickr badge.
Click the photo for details: what it is, where I ate it (if it's worth a mention!), and how to cook it (if there happens to be a recipe). You can also read more about this project right here.

Sideblog

A year before

• 2013-04-23 No articles on this date.

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too:

Follow the Fishbowl’s companion page on Facebook

Let's stick a pin in that

Miz Mooz Women's Car