27 Jul, 2010

Guess who got new glasses?

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Oh! Things!

Sarah did.

Here she is when she first got her glasses in March 2008:

First glasses

I remember when she first got them. I was weepy about her pretty face being covered by glasses (I am so over that) and also freaked out that she hadn’t been seeing properly this whole time.  (Lesson learned: get your kids eyes checked! In Ontario it’s free until they’re 18.)

Anyway, here she is now:

someone got new glasses

At first she was going to get the same kind of frames, but she kept coming back to this pair. It’s hard to tell by the photo, but the frames are copper-coloured, with shiny aquamarine legs (or are they called arms?).

By the way, the service and selection at Bonoptics on Carling Avenue (near Westgate) is fabulous. They specialize in children’s eyewear. I recommend them to anyone looking for kid-sized glasses.

I am not entirely sure if the lady helping us was convinced that these were the right pair for Sarah. She kept saying things like: “Those glasses sure are DIFFERENT.” And I agree, they are a big departure, but I think they suit her perfectly! All kidding aside, the lady helping us was actually very helpful and patient. She even called around to see if some frames came in different colours, and didn’t seem to mind that it took us 20 minutes to pick out a new glasses case. :)

We are all happy with Sarah’s choice of eyewear, especially Sarah.

Print this post Print this post

11 Responses to "Guess who got new glasses?"

1 | Stephanie

July 27th, 2010 at 7:49 am

Oooh, I ADORE them! They really make her eyes pop. Great choice :)

2 | mapsgirl

July 27th, 2010 at 7:51 am

Wow! They are fantastic :) She’s beautiful!

3 | Amanda

July 27th, 2010 at 7:55 am

They look fantastic! Very sharp! It’s great that she likes them too and doesn’t mind wearing them. She sure did pick a great pair….very hip and sophisticated.

4 | Christine

July 27th, 2010 at 7:59 am

She’s got great taste, those are very cool!! I wish they had funky glasses like that when I was young! I would have probably enjoyed wearing them more!!

5 | Finola

July 27th, 2010 at 10:17 am

She looks gorgeous. I love glasses on kids, and both my girls are on their way to needing glasses (it was inevitable with their genetics), so thanks for the store recommendation too!

6 | Betsy Mae

July 27th, 2010 at 11:19 am

GREAT choice! I think they suit her really well, they are nice. She’s a beauty.

7 | Bob LeDrew

July 27th, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Very Taylor Swifty picture. Nice specs. I mostly wear contacts so my cheap side quails at upgrading my glasses, but there seem to be a lot of very cool frames out there these days. Maybe I’ll give up the contacts… or not.

8 | Laura

July 27th, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Sarah looks lovely – she’s rockin’ the glasses. What a beautiful girl!

9 | Natasha

July 27th, 2010 at 6:55 pm

I love the new glasses. Sarah looks so grown up.

10 | Shannon

July 27th, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Great choice!! She looks great in them.

11 | Theresa

July 29th, 2010 at 5:26 pm

She is totally rockin’ the glasses. I LOVE them! I think ‘different’ glasses are the best. My daughter is six and has been wearing glasses for just over two years. I echo your recommendation to get your kids eyes checked, especially just before they start school. After it was determined that my daughter needed glasses our optometrist said that we really had to be insistent that she wore them…that wasn’t a problem. My heart just about broke, when the first thing she said, trying on her new glasses, was ‘wow, I can see so much better.’ We just bought new glasses too, I should send you a pic when they come in :)

NAC Ottawa family events

Saunders Farm annual passes for family fun!

Joan of Arc Academy in Ottawa

OMS Ottawa Montessori schools

Sara McConnell photography Ottawa

Rethink Tires - Community Renewal Fund

• Laurel: Hugs! A lot of them!
  • Natalie: Thanks Andrea for the recipe! I made it, subbing honey for maple, and for the dried fruit - 1/2 c both dried cherries and apricots. A huge hit in our
  • Rosalind: So well said Andrea. I fear for myself and my family too. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend but a very good reminder that we have to stop living
  • Misty Pratt: (and I don't mean that your friend dying is a gift...only that the sorrow we experience in life can sometimes help to illuminate things we couldn't se
  • Pamela: Sorry for your loss. She will live on because she has woven her life into those she loved and loved her.
  • Misty Pratt: I'm so sorry to hear that you lost this good friend. I think we all ask ourselves if we are living our best lives, but it is the daily "grind" that so
  • Anne: So sorry to hear of your loss. This post helps us all remember to try to enjoy each moment as best we can.

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 1000 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

... check out past nightstand reads right here.

On this date in the archives