07 Oct, 2011

Hourly photo strikes again! What will your Monday look like? #10photos

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Challenge me, challenge you

hourlyphotoI think I started something. For the past few years I’ve been commemorating Thanksgiving and Christmas with an hourly photo challenge. A few people have asked me whether I’m doing it again this weekend. How could I say no? I really liked doing this last year (on 10-10-10) so I’m keen to give it another go.

Please join me! Here’s the nitty gritty:

The date: Monday October 10, 2011 (ETA: That’s Thanksgiving Monday here in Canada. But you don’t need to be Canadian to participate)
The deal: Take one photo every hour, on the hour, for ten hours. The goal is to get ten photos from where you happen to be at that time. (My first photo will be at 9:00 a.m. and my last one will be at 6:00 p.m.)

Use whatever camera or mobile device you prefer and post them to your blog and/or your photosharing site as you are able. Just make sure you let us know where you’re posting them so we can all have a look. Tag them “10photos” so they’re easy to find. Twitter along with #10photos too.

Here’s a tip if you have a mobile phone or alarm clock on your watch. Set it for one minute before the hour i.e. at 7:59, 8:59 etc. That will give you a solid minute to get your camera ready and snap The Thing You Happened To Be Looking At.

Please consider playing along! It’s really interesting to see what other people are seeing at the same time you are, no matter how mundane it might seem.

It’s not a problem if you can’t upload as you go. Upload in batches when you have the chance, even the next day is fine.

Who’s in? Let me know in the comments below. After you’re done, come back and leave the link to where your set of photos is located (in a Flickr set or on your blog) so they’re easy to find.

Sound good? Yay! Let’s do it.

26 Responses to "Hourly photo strikes again! What will your Monday look like? #10photos"

1 | Wendy [mapsgirl]

October 7th, 2011 at 7:59 am

I love that you have a hashtag!! Your suggestion to set an alarm is perfect (not sure why I couldn’t have thought of that myself tho…LOL!) I’m really going to try to do this this year :)

2 | Maranda

October 7th, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I did it last year and loved it. I think I’ll be at the Third World Bazaar again this year, doing some Christmas shopping and photography. It’s a great location for a photo walk!

I’m in again this year for sure!

3 | Jayda

October 7th, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Great idea! I’m in!

4 | Scatteredmom

October 8th, 2011 at 1:34 am

I love this! Every other time I’ve missed it, but I’m really going to try this time.

5 | Kelly

October 8th, 2011 at 10:31 am

Of course I’m in, had a blast doing it on Easter. Thanks for organizing Andrea!

6 | Ingrid

October 8th, 2011 at 11:49 am

Can’t wait!!! Rookie over here

7 | neeroc

October 8th, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I’m in…if I remember *g*

8 | Joseph K. Mayer

October 8th, 2011 at 6:19 pm

This is a great idea. I will do my best, but my photos will no doubt be rather commonplace.

9 | Psychgrad

October 8th, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Had fun doing this last year — so I am in again for this year!

10 | Hellcat13

October 9th, 2011 at 12:55 am

I am going to try to participate this year! I have my hourly alarms all set. As my Thanksgiving dinner is Sunday, I will take the photos then but upload them on Monday (because actual photos of my Monday would consist of nothing but photos of my library book that is due the next day!)

October 9th, 2011 at 8:30 am

Excellent!
I’m glad to be doing this again this year. It really is a great way to document a day. For what it’s worth, we’re celebrating Thanksgiving on Sunday. I don’t even know what we’ll be doing on Monday, so i expect to be challenged! :)

12 | Angela

October 9th, 2011 at 8:44 am

I’m in again:)

13 | LaTonya

October 9th, 2011 at 9:13 am

This sounds fun, and very interesting. I’m in! I’m curious to see what my Monday looks like!

14 | Nicki

October 9th, 2011 at 10:01 am

Such a cool idea . . . I so want to do this, it will be fun!!

15 | DaenelT

October 9th, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Sounds like fun! Im in.

16 | Jennerknit

October 9th, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Sounds great! I’ll give it a try!

17 | Mary @ Parenthood

October 10th, 2011 at 7:57 am

We did Thanksgiving on Sunday too; just as well because taking pictures under those circumstances would have been daunting. 19 for dinner, cooking my first turkey in 15 years, second turkey ever and the first one came with instructions!

And hey! We survived the experience. So many leftovers that I think we seriously could have dinner for 19 all over again, but… So taking pictures should be a breeze today ;)

18 | Karen

October 10th, 2011 at 8:24 am

I’ve seen this before – this time I want to be fully on board (better late than never!). Will tweet the pics then upload later to my (barely maintained) blog. Foxmissives.blogspot.com

19 | 10 Photos for Thanksgiving Monday 10-10-11 « Mom PhD

October 10th, 2011 at 8:43 am

[…] over at a peak inside the fishbowl has inspired me to take part in an hourly photo project that will document our holiday Monday. Fun! I will take one photo every hour, on the hour (or as […]

20 | Sara-Lynne

October 10th, 2011 at 8:52 am

I’m in. I’m preparing dinner for 13 tonight so expect lots of cooking shots!

21 | These are my ten photos for October 10, 2011 >> a peek inside the fishbowl

October 10th, 2011 at 6:31 pm

[…] It documents Monday October 10 2011, one photo and one hour at a time. You can read more about it here. Earliest photos are be at the […]

22 | neeroc

October 10th, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Not having a clock in the kitchen (or my phone) meant I was aiming for +/- 15min…I think I made it! http://wp.me/pwahb-T5

October 11th, 2011 at 8:12 am

What a great day huh?
Your photos have been really great! Thank you all for playing along!

24 | Kelly

October 11th, 2011 at 9:40 am

Here is a link to my photos: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjwjX7cx
It’s always fun to play along!
Thanks!

26 | UsedEverywhere | The Ten Photos Project: self-inflicted photojournalism. - UsedEverywhere

February 21st, 2014 at 2:49 pm

[…] Anyway, when I noticed this hashtag being used by a local Ottawa blogger named Andrea Tomkins from A Peek Inside the Fishbowl, I got curious. Turns out, #10photos is Andrea’s genius idea: she takes a picture every hour on […]

• andrea tomkins: Heeeey! I'm glad it was a good experience for you! Thanks for letting me know. :)
  • Kylie: Thanks for telling us about the SavvyCompany fondue party! We signed up with relatives across Ontario as a fun (virtual) way to celebrate my mother-in
  • Charlotte: Thank you for this awesome post. it’s a very informative blog thanks for sharing with us.
  • andrea tomkins: I don't own any Miik items, just seen those pretty dresses from afar! :) I didn't know they made leggings and am intrigued...
  • molly: Have you purchased Miik before? I have a couple of dresses and I wear them all summer - like, twice a week - and they wash beautifully. And so so comf
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive updatish - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] had a bit of an online shopping spree today. Remember my duvet upgrade earlier in the pandemic (and the unfortunate incident with the old on
  • Susan: I discovered that Chef's Plate delivers to Sudbury, so every once in a while (4-6 weeks, depending?) I send a box to my son. He LOVES it! He learns to