23 Dec, 2011

Hourly Photo Challenge: December 25, 2011

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Challenge me, challenge you

The Hourly Photo Challenge is just that. You, me, and a bunch of other people, taking one photo every hour on the hour throughout the day of whatever we happen to be doing or looking at that very moment. It is an amazing way to document a day in a very visual way.

Here are my results last year.

As per previous Hourly Photos – this is how it works:

• The idea is to take one photo every hour, on the hour, for the whole day. For many of us December 25 = chaos, so don’t worry about precision. We can only do our best!
  • You don’t need to be a photographer in order to participate. I know some people are shy to post their photos, but this is not a contest or competition, it’s about documenting your day in an easy and interesting way and seeing how others do the same.
  • Take as many photos as you are able. I start when I get up and stop when it gets too dark.
  • Use whatever camera or mobile device you prefer. I’m using my iPhone, because it’s easy. Post them to your blog and/or your photosharing site when you can. Just make sure you let us know in the comments below where you’re posting them so we can all have a look. Tag your photos “hourlyphoto” so they’re easy to find. If you’re on Twitter use #hourlyphoto so we can all follow the convo.
  • Would you like to make this extra challenging for yourself? DON’T DO RETAKES. (!) This is not mandatory but I thought I’d throw it out there in case you’re the kind of person who really likes a challenge. :)
  • Here’s a tip, if you have a mobile phone with an alarm clock, set it for one minute before the hour i.e. at 7:59, 8:59 etc. This will give you a solid minute to get your camera ready and snap The Thing You Happen To Be Doing.

Please consider playing along! It’s really interesting to see what other people are doing at the same time you are. (Um, that is, if you are in the same time zone, but if not, that’s okay too.)

Also: it’s not a problem if you can’t upload as you go. Upload in batches when you have the chance. Or even the next day. I will be uploading mine in a separate blog post when I can.

If you’re participating please let me know in the comments so I can see the results of your hard work, and if you’re happy to lurk, look for the Hourly Photo post starting on December 25. :) Woot!

25 Responses to "Hourly Photo Challenge: December 25, 2011"

1 | Wendy [mapsgirl]

December 23rd, 2011 at 8:49 am

I think your Tip is the only way I’m going to remember.

Off to set the Reminders on my iPhone now!

2 | Natalie Joy

December 23rd, 2011 at 8:51 am

I’m in! I did this last year and it was a great way to document the day.

3 | Ross Brown

December 23rd, 2011 at 8:53 am

For your Easter challenge, I shot with my D-SLR because I didn’t have an iPhone, and it was tough to keep up.

Now that I have an iPhone, I think it’ll be much easier, and my wife won’t want to kill me every hour for running off to download the pics onto my computer. So I’m in!

Looking forward to seeing the results!

4 | Theresa

December 23rd, 2011 at 9:03 am

I’ll do it! We’re not driving home to Nova Scotia this year, so this will give me something to help take my mind off that.

Great idea =)

5 | Krista (@kristahouse)

December 23rd, 2011 at 9:54 am

I’m in! I loved participating last year. Thanks for the alarm tip :)

6 | krista

December 23rd, 2011 at 10:18 am

I am so in!! :) My pics will be on the hour (ish), as even reminders don’t work for me.

I do love this! :) Is there a hashtag? flickr group? :)

7 | Ginger

December 23rd, 2011 at 10:58 am

I am in…I love looking at the photos from last Christmas!

8 | Laura

December 23rd, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I’m in! It’ll be a challenge, but I’m excited to try. Let’s just hope those around me are just as willing to participate! :)

Merry Christmas!

9 | Amanda Earl

December 24th, 2011 at 7:38 am

a lovely idea. i’ll do it. & shall post to my blog, probably on the 26th.

10 | Kelly

December 24th, 2011 at 8:45 am

I’m in again too! Thanks for organizing!

11 | Mel Gallant

December 24th, 2011 at 8:50 am

Andrea, I’m going to participate too – off to set my phone alarm! :)

12 | Mel Gallant

December 24th, 2011 at 8:51 am

Oh and um…I’ll post to them to my blog. :)

13 | Ingrid

December 24th, 2011 at 8:52 am

Looking forward to it….hohoho!

14 | FireMom

December 24th, 2011 at 9:22 am

I’ll be participating again — with my iPhone, and maybe some with my real camera. I will tweet as I can, but will upload and post a blog post the next day.

I was so looking forward to this again this year. :)

15 | Carly

December 24th, 2011 at 11:43 am

Loved doing this last year and now with a brand new babe in the house again, can’t wait to do it again! Merry Christmas!!!

16 | Nicole (@adomesticmomma)

December 24th, 2011 at 4:33 pm

What a great idea! I’m totally in! As a natural mamarazzi, I dig this kind of challenge!

17 | Vicky

December 24th, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I’m in!! Looking forward to the challenge!

18 | OttMomGo

December 25th, 2011 at 7:34 am

I’ll upload to Twitter each hour and work on the blog post when I’m able. We’re travelling and visiting and my in-laws just wouldn’t understand. ;)

19 | December 25, 2011 in photos >> a peek inside the fishbowl

December 25th, 2011 at 8:03 am

[…] One hour at a time (as per this post): […]

20 | Kathy

December 25th, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Joining in a little late – I missed capturing the Christmas morning unwrapping, but will try to capture the rest of the day and post the photos on Twitter & Instagram. I enjoyed participating in your Thanksgiving photo challenge :)
Merry Christmas everyone!

21 | Eden Spodek

December 25th, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I’m in and tweeting hourly updates since 9 a.m. I’ll repost on my blog and probably on flickr.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy New Year!

22 | My Merry Christmas « A Year of Joy

December 25th, 2011 at 8:40 pm

[…] I’ve documented the day using the #hourlyphoto hashtag (See @missfish‘s post about it here.)  Enjoy… I know I have. 6am – DD4 discovering that Santa ate all the cookies she put out […]

23 | Deb

December 25th, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Late letting you know, but I did it this year! You’ll find my posts @SlowAsFranklin
Thanks for this! I really enjoyed it :)

December 29th, 2011 at 8:31 am

Thanks for playing along everyone! I hope to see you back next year. ;)

25 | Yvonne Avis

December 29th, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Ack. Finally got mine uploaded.