18 Jan, 2012

Two pages from someone’s life

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Found objects

A few years ago I bought a collection of vintage Valentine’s Day cards on eBay. I found this letter tucked inside one of them yesterday. It’s dated February 14, 1957 and as far as I know it’s totally legit.

Click on the images to enlarge:

Old love letter, page one

Old love letter, page two

7 Responses to "Two pages from someone’s life"

1 | elsewise

January 18th, 2012 at 9:27 am

Oh, this made my daydreams go crazy. I like to imagine that they ended up together (I do hope that he wasn’t as ticked off as she believed him to be!), and that someone will somehow stumble upon this letter, recognize the story, and reunite the letter with its family.

2 | Giulia

January 18th, 2012 at 9:41 am

This makes for a great movie, that last little twist before they hopefully speak and clear things up and end up happily ever after. Lovely to find something like this.

3 | Yael

January 18th, 2012 at 9:55 am

this just made my morning. what a beautiful thing to find!

i hope they were reunited (although in today’s world i can’t imagine losing someone over buying two valentine’s cards ;)) – what an amazing find!

4 | Ingredients for Life

January 18th, 2012 at 12:16 pm

You should contact the person you bought the cards from and find out if s/he knows who the letter was from and if those two got together.

5 | Janet

January 19th, 2012 at 11:09 am

wow! how interesting!!
I would love to know the outcome of that letter…or if it ever reached the guy in the first place.
thanks for sharing it.

6 | Mark

January 19th, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Mrs. Hornsby should have just minded her own business. The old biddy!

7 | Sarah

February 14th, 2013 at 4:48 pm

One can only hope that they were reunited and she got to surprise him with the big red bow someday!

• Hamilton Car Wraps: First off enjoyed the twitter post, and yes very true about the steak knife. Enjoyed the article about walking as it is my new years resolution to he
  • Ajax Prestige Limo: Will there be a similar offering in the future? This sounds like a good idea.
  • Claudette: I love your little list every weekend! As I've mentioned, I too have started doing something similar, and some of my followers are commenting how much
  • Misty: I also have trouble with the things I need to do, but don't want to do (including a new pair of glasses) I did finally check off submitting a warranty
  • Claudette: That is wonderful to hear! I'm the same with wheat and sugar, so if I plan a spaghetti dinner i know that all day that day I will not have any wheat p
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive The January reset continues - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] other day I posted about some promises I made to myself and we are ten days into the month so I wanted to share a small update. To summariz
  • Jinjer: Ohhhhhh!!!! The little jars/tins are so cute and I love the box! All those tea flavors sound tasty. I definitely want this and my Mom DID just ask me

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.