17 Apr, 2012

A whole new pooch

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Westboro|dog stuff

Piper is a Wire Fox Terrier. She doesn’t shed, which is great, but the trade-off is that we need to bring her to the groomers for a clipping a few times a year.

Back in November we decided to let Piper grow a winter coat. Not only would it keep her nice and cozy during the cold months, but it would be cheaper too. Fast forward to yesterday; her winter coat had grown into an uncontrollable fuzzy mass, a thick nose-to-tail shag carpet that was making her look like a doggie version of Chewbacca. Or Bigfoot. I’m not sure which, but the situation was getting a little out of control.

Just look at this mop top.

Piper, preclip

And here she is after her visit to the groomers! She was noticeably happier to get rid of the deadweight. She practically flew home, smiling all the way. (I love how dogs smile.)

Piper, postclip

In case you’re wondering, we bring her to Masters n’ Dogs (formerly known as Bark & Fitz) in Westboro. Ask for Lena! She does a great job. It’s like having a whole new Piper!

Tags: ,

10 Responses to "A whole new pooch"

1 | Kaitlin

April 17th, 2012 at 8:38 am

My favourite dog at the dog park (who isn’t my own) is a Wheaten Terrier, who looks like a Muppet when he grows his coat out. I don’t think I’d ever want to clip my dog if he looked like a muppet ;)

2 | Chantal

April 17th, 2012 at 8:48 am

awe she is a cutie! In both photos. It almost makes me want one… almost. ;)

3 | Neeroc

April 17th, 2012 at 8:49 am

She is soooo adorable! And what a difference, you can see she knows how good she looks *g*

April 17th, 2012 at 9:47 am

Ha! Totally! Piper knows she looks great. :)

5 | Martina

April 17th, 2012 at 10:03 am

Too cute … she looks so proud!! Funny what a difference a hair-cut makes.

6 | wendy

April 17th, 2012 at 11:13 am

She really is smiling!

You can see the markings, does she have some black and beige in her hair?

Soooooo cute! I know how she feels, just ot my hair cut after 5 months!
:-)

7 | lacoop

April 17th, 2012 at 5:26 pm

OK, she does look good after the cut…but Chewbacca was awesome. Just sayin’

8 | Pam Dillon

April 17th, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I laughed out loud when I saw the new and improved Piper.
In the after version she looks like the canine version of Vanna White! : D

9 | Nadine

April 17th, 2012 at 8:41 pm

She is a stunner in both photos ! But I do love her smile and the glint in her eye in the “after” shot…

April 18th, 2012 at 8:04 am

Ha! I think both dogs – Chewbacca and Vanna White – are adorable in their own way. It’s been weird getting used to the new look though!

• K. Taggart: Yes! My family and I all get the flu shot every year. Why? Because we don't want the flu. We also don't want people we hang out with to get the flu. T
  • Computer Software: First of all I would like to say awesome blog! I had a quick question in which I'd like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to find out how you
  • Claudette: The Globe article on the meal kit...it's interesting that no where does it mention that the convenience often, for many families, is directly related
  • Amy: I always make the bed, partly because my mom was a stickler for it growing up and partly because I make it easy to do. I have to have the sheets tuck
  • Donna: Thanks for this!! I am going to start this morning. One day at a time right.
  • Natalie Robichaud: I always make my bed. It's a small to do checked off the list and I like getting into a bed that's made at night. What SAD light do you use?
  • Jacquelyn: I've recently started vacuuming the kitchen and dining room floors every day. Previously, I would go weeks (!) between vacuumings. This was prompted

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.