30 Apr, 2012

Reno update #22 – that proverbial chicken

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Home/reno

Guess what? A large part of our home is being torn off on Friday May 3! The garage and our back porch are going to be the first parts to go.

We are moving out sometime between May 14 and 25th. Don’t ask me about this fluid move-out date (and don’t ask how it’s going to affect the booking of the movers) because it’s freaking me out JUST A LITTLE BIT.

Until then Mark and I need:

• to finish clearing out the garage. Some kind neighbours have already taken a bunch of things off our hands: rain barrel, lawn mower, our superior ice chipper (which is exactly the kind of tool that gives non-Canadians reason to chuckle). Sidebar: I sold all of our Christmas lights at a small garage sale we hosted on Saturday. I am starting from scratch next year. Woot!
  • TO DO EVERYTHING ELSE.

I wish I was kidding. More packing, editing, purging awaits us this week. I have no idea when I’m going to do finish this never-ending and unbearably depressing and dusty exercise. What else? Oh, we are debating whether or not to buy a secondhand bunk bed for the girls’ temporary-shared bedroom in our apartment. And we also need to start thinking seriously about our kitchen (I am worried we haven’t given ourselves enough storage space), plumbing fixtures, and all the electrical. Oh, and tiles. TILES. Gack. I went to RONA (sans plan or list or anything) and I was completely overwhelmed by everything. That being said, I may have found us some nice interior doors. Here they are – Lemieux is the brand name – with different grades of transparency. There’s tons o’ pretty on their website.

I also checked out Universal Appliances the other day, but as I had no game plan it was a total waste of time.

I can now appreciate why people hire interior designers. There is so much to think about right now my brain is bursting.

Thankfully, Mr. Darryl our construction manager will be giving us a list of things we need to do this week. Surely I can follow a simple list, right?

Tags: ,

8 Responses to "Reno update #22 – that proverbial chicken"

1 | Giulia

April 30th, 2012 at 2:45 pm

For tile go to Olympia tile off Heron. Great selection and great prices.
Good luck with all the packing!

2 | lacoop

April 30th, 2012 at 6:02 pm

We just finished a bunch of tiling – we went with Olympia Tile (off Walkley, near Heron). And we just finished buying a bunch of things from Universal Appliances (after checking Sears and a bunch of others)…we really liked the staff at Universal, plus their regular prices were better than the Sears sale prices. And yes, it was all a bit stressful.

April 30th, 2012 at 6:47 pm

I’ve heard many recommendations re: Olympia tile and it’s definitely on my list. I’m surprised to hear that Universal had better prices than Sears. It seemed like a pretty boutique-y kind of place.

4 | lacoop

April 30th, 2012 at 7:56 pm

True that Universal is high end…but the items that they had which Sears also carried were better priced than Sears.

5 | Fiona

April 30th, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Use an interior designer. They get discounts everywhere, especially tile places and they know exactly what to spec, how much to buy and how to fix problems that come up. In our reno, we know that we actually saved money, even after paying our designer’s hourly fee. And she had enough pull at Preston Hardware that she got us a replacement tub the very next day when the wrong one had been ordered and delivered. That kept the contractor crew right on schedule.

6 | Finola

May 1st, 2012 at 5:08 pm

We still haven’t chosen tiles for our backsplash and we renovated….ahem…six years ago.
Sigh.
Hire the designer.

7 | Jen

May 3rd, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I third the designer idea. It’s cheaper in the end and much less stressful. I’m packing for our move so sending you empathetic vibes from Toronto.

8 | Leah

May 16th, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I’m a little late to the party (catching up on posts), but wanted to let you know that those Lemieux doors are the ones we used for all our interior doors (solid for all but the sliding door between our mudroom and kitchen, which has the glass panels). I love them and we’ve had lots of compliments.