03 May, 2012

Reno post #23 – Here we go!

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Home/reno

Every construction project begins with a large bin. Eep! I guess it’s really happening. Our garage and back porch are being torn off TODAY. Oh man.

The view of the front of our house for the next 6-8 months

Print this post Print this post

11 Responses to "Reno post #23 – Here we go!"

1 | Bob LeDrew

May 3rd, 2012 at 7:10 am

The destruction part is the most fun.

2 | Javamom

May 3rd, 2012 at 9:29 am

This is so exciting! In my neighbourhood in West Toronto at least 3 houses on every street have such a bin on their front driveway…:)

3 | binki

May 3rd, 2012 at 11:12 am

That is sooo exciting. We’re about 6 months away from this phase (hope to start in October). It’ll be cool to follow along and see how all this unfolds.

May 3rd, 2012 at 11:17 am

Bob, binki – we are planning a before and after party: want to come? (Sorry Javamom, I’d invite you too but you’re too far away!)

It IS exciting, but there’s just so much to do right now. I’m trying hard to stay positive and not let myself get overwhelmed. One step at a time, right?

This weekend we’re off to Boone for plumbing fixtures and Olympia for tile. Maybe Rona for doors. I hope they have WIFI there so I can pull out my Pinterest boards! ;)

5 | Chantal

May 3rd, 2012 at 12:41 pm

so exciting! And stressful! I can’t wait to see the finished product.

6 | binki

May 3rd, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Party? Woot! I’ll bring my sledgehammer.

7 | Ginger

May 3rd, 2012 at 2:04 pm

So exciting! I can’t wait to see it all! :)

8 | Bob LeDrew

May 6th, 2012 at 8:34 am

Bob smash? Yes please.

9 | Cindy W

May 6th, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Weeeeeeee!!!!!

LMK if you need a coffee break!

10 | Sarah

May 15th, 2012 at 10:01 am

Andrea!

I think we’re just a week behind you. Our kitchen demo was on May 7th. We’ve been living in the living room ever since.

Really like what you have envisioned for your bathroom. That happening in July for us.

What does your kitchen look like right now? :-)

Sarah

May 15th, 2012 at 10:21 am

Sarah: The kitchen looks exactly the same. :)
As of today the demolition on the garage and back porch is completed and they’ve dug a huge hole in the backyard where the addition will be going.

We will be moving out on the 29th, at which point the demolition moves indoors. :)

NAC Ottawa family events

Summertime fun at Saunders Farm!

Creatures of Light Nature's Bioluminescence at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

Litterless lunch solutions at terra20

bucketlist

etc.

• andrea tomkins: Hi Susan, I suggest you contact PC Plus support:  https://www.pcplus.ca/loyalty-help.jsp#contactUsEmail
  • Susan Cole: How do I change my old e-mail address to my new one so I will start getting my offers again???
  • Javamom: I have an European friend who is also my on again off again business partner. the prime way we communicate is via facebook. but once you're in fb it's
  • Rebecca: Morning for me is best, absolutely. And I need silence. SILENCE. When the kids are gone to school I don't turn on anything, there's only the sound of
  • Lynn: Damn, surfing Facebook is my primary "down time" activity right now :). I heard an interesting documentary on the CBC a while ago about some resear
  • A helpful tool for writers >> a peek inside the fishbowl: […] Further to yesterday’s post about writing… […]
  • andrea tomkins: But here's the thing that freaks me out. I think all of these needs are in my head. I've basically told myself that I must have all of these things in

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 813 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• I'm sharing some of my favourite lunch-related items over on the terra20 blog today. Whether you're packing a lunch for work, for your kids, or just eating at your desk at home, I bet there is something there for you. Check it out!

- #
  • I have a new post up at the MediaSmarts blog this week. It's my response to a question that I'm asked quite often: What’s the best age to give a kid an iPod touch?

- #
  • My latest post at the MediaSmarts website is about passwords. Is this something you've talked about with your kids? Given the proliferation of devices in households (often one per person now) it might be an important topic for discussion. How have you handled passwords in your household?

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: