03 May, 2012

Reno post #23 – Here we go!

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Home/reno

Every construction project begins with a large bin. Eep! I guess it’s really happening. Our garage and back porch are being torn off TODAY. Oh man.

The view of the front of our house for the next 6-8 months

Print this post Print this post

11 Responses to "Reno post #23 – Here we go!"

1 | Bob LeDrew

May 3rd, 2012 at 7:10 am

The destruction part is the most fun.

2 | Javamom

May 3rd, 2012 at 9:29 am

This is so exciting! In my neighbourhood in West Toronto at least 3 houses on every street have such a bin on their front driveway…:)

3 | binki

May 3rd, 2012 at 11:12 am

That is sooo exciting. We’re about 6 months away from this phase (hope to start in October). It’ll be cool to follow along and see how all this unfolds.

May 3rd, 2012 at 11:17 am

Bob, binki – we are planning a before and after party: want to come? (Sorry Javamom, I’d invite you too but you’re too far away!)

It IS exciting, but there’s just so much to do right now. I’m trying hard to stay positive and not let myself get overwhelmed. One step at a time, right?

This weekend we’re off to Boone for plumbing fixtures and Olympia for tile. Maybe Rona for doors. I hope they have WIFI there so I can pull out my Pinterest boards! ;)

5 | Chantal

May 3rd, 2012 at 12:41 pm

so exciting! And stressful! I can’t wait to see the finished product.

6 | binki

May 3rd, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Party? Woot! I’ll bring my sledgehammer.

7 | Ginger

May 3rd, 2012 at 2:04 pm

So exciting! I can’t wait to see it all! :)

8 | Bob LeDrew

May 6th, 2012 at 8:34 am

Bob smash? Yes please.

9 | Cindy W

May 6th, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Weeeeeeee!!!!!

LMK if you need a coffee break!

10 | Sarah

May 15th, 2012 at 10:01 am

Andrea!

I think we’re just a week behind you. Our kitchen demo was on May 7th. We’ve been living in the living room ever since.

Really like what you have envisioned for your bathroom. That happening in July for us.

What does your kitchen look like right now? :-)

Sarah

May 15th, 2012 at 10:21 am

Sarah: The kitchen looks exactly the same. :)
As of today the demolition on the garage and back porch is completed and they’ve dug a huge hole in the backyard where the addition will be going.

We will be moving out on the 29th, at which point the demolition moves indoors. :)

NAC Ottawa events

Christmas ideas from Saunders Farm!

Frogs - a Chorus of Colours - at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Funhaven - Ottawa's destination for birthday parties and fun

terra20 Ottawa celebrates Earth Month

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

IMAX 3D - Journey to the South Pacific

bucketlist

etc.

• andrea tomkins: I don't this has ever happened before... but the winner according to random.org is commenter #87 - Nicola - the VERY last person to enter. :) Congr
  • andrea tomkins: Comments are officially closed to new entries! Stay tuned for the winner!
  • Nicola: For my second entry: I'd love some extra metal lunch containers, as I'm trying to phase out the plastics wherever possible...
  • Nicola: I turn the furnace down a lot when we are out and at night, and have been explaining the "lights off as you leave the room" thing to my son. I am als
  • Barb Sohn: We have a rain barrel in the front yard, two composters in the back yard. Our gargage is down to one small bag every week. We buy shampoos, cleaners
  • Deb: I coordinate the recycling program at my school with a team of students including black box, blue box and compost. We are having litterless lunches fo
  • Life of K: I LOVE the whole family of Boston Warehouse items like this cheese grater: http://shop.terra20.com/store/product/11035/BostonW-Cheese-Grater-Nutcrker/

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (14) and Sarah (12). I am the Editor of the Kitchissippi Times as well as Capital Parent Newspaper. I'm also a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999 (which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which). The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 655 and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's my latest:
Created with flickr badge.
Click the photo for details: what it is, where I ate it (if it's worth a mention!), and how to cook it (if there happens to be a recipe). You can also read more about this project right here.

Sideblog

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too:

Follow the Fishbowl’s companion page on Facebook

Let's stick a pin in that

Miz Mooz Women's Car