03 May, 2012

Reno post #23 – Here we go!

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Home/reno

Every construction project begins with a large bin. Eep! I guess it’s really happening. Our garage and back porch are being torn off TODAY. Oh man.

The view of the front of our house for the next 6-8 months

11 Responses to "Reno post #23 – Here we go!"

1 | Bob LeDrew

May 3rd, 2012 at 7:10 am

The destruction part is the most fun.

2 | Javamom

May 3rd, 2012 at 9:29 am

This is so exciting! In my neighbourhood in West Toronto at least 3 houses on every street have such a bin on their front driveway…:)

3 | binki

May 3rd, 2012 at 11:12 am

That is sooo exciting. We’re about 6 months away from this phase (hope to start in October). It’ll be cool to follow along and see how all this unfolds.

May 3rd, 2012 at 11:17 am

Bob, binki – we are planning a before and after party: want to come? (Sorry Javamom, I’d invite you too but you’re too far away!)

It IS exciting, but there’s just so much to do right now. I’m trying hard to stay positive and not let myself get overwhelmed. One step at a time, right?

This weekend we’re off to Boone for plumbing fixtures and Olympia for tile. Maybe Rona for doors. I hope they have WIFI there so I can pull out my Pinterest boards! ;)

5 | Chantal

May 3rd, 2012 at 12:41 pm

so exciting! And stressful! I can’t wait to see the finished product.

6 | binki

May 3rd, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Party? Woot! I’ll bring my sledgehammer.

7 | Ginger

May 3rd, 2012 at 2:04 pm

So exciting! I can’t wait to see it all! :)

8 | Bob LeDrew

May 6th, 2012 at 8:34 am

Bob smash? Yes please.

9 | Cindy W

May 6th, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Weeeeeeee!!!!!

LMK if you need a coffee break!

10 | Sarah

May 15th, 2012 at 10:01 am

Andrea!

I think we’re just a week behind you. Our kitchen demo was on May 7th. We’ve been living in the living room ever since.

Really like what you have envisioned for your bathroom. That happening in July for us.

What does your kitchen look like right now? :-)

Sarah

May 15th, 2012 at 10:21 am

Sarah: The kitchen looks exactly the same. :)
As of today the demolition on the garage and back porch is completed and they’ve dug a huge hole in the backyard where the addition will be going.

We will be moving out on the 29th, at which point the demolition moves indoors. :)

terra20 Ottawa

National Arts Centre Ottawa

• 4,258 deaths: As a society we MUST talk about this. It's bad and getting worse. The C in LCBO is Control and yet their mandate seems to now be HEAVY PROMOTION o
  • andrea tomkins: Thanks all. It's a tough issue for sure. And it's not like I don't drink wine, I do (and beer, probably more beer) but I agree that a line has been cr
  • Marguerite: Your post rings for me. I worked as a psychotherapist in varous treatment centers in Ottawa for 20+ years, mostly in women only facilities and I have
  • Lynn: I also think it's crossed a line somewhere. It used to be you'd think about an evening out with your girlfriends, and having a glass of wine there mar
  • Tudor Robins: As a non-drinker, this type of merchandise seems a little baffling, somewhat sad, even a bit tacky; never cute, or cool, or particularly funny. But I
  • Cath in Ottawa: I'm really glad you wrote about this - I've been really conscious of this trend the last few months and have been trying to sort out my feelings about
  • Misty Pratt: I've written about this before too, but have focused more on the wine-drinking mom culture. And hey, I'm no innocent, because I partake and crack joke

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (17) and Sarah (15). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 1550 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog