03 May, 2012

Reno post #23 – Here we go!

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Home/reno

Every construction project begins with a large bin. Eep! I guess it’s really happening. Our garage and back porch are being torn off TODAY. Oh man.

The view of the front of our house for the next 6-8 months

Print this post Print this post

11 Responses to "Reno post #23 – Here we go!"

1 | Bob LeDrew

May 3rd, 2012 at 7:10 am

The destruction part is the most fun.

2 | Javamom

May 3rd, 2012 at 9:29 am

This is so exciting! In my neighbourhood in West Toronto at least 3 houses on every street have such a bin on their front driveway…:)

3 | binki

May 3rd, 2012 at 11:12 am

That is sooo exciting. We’re about 6 months away from this phase (hope to start in October). It’ll be cool to follow along and see how all this unfolds.

May 3rd, 2012 at 11:17 am

Bob, binki – we are planning a before and after party: want to come? (Sorry Javamom, I’d invite you too but you’re too far away!)

It IS exciting, but there’s just so much to do right now. I’m trying hard to stay positive and not let myself get overwhelmed. One step at a time, right?

This weekend we’re off to Boone for plumbing fixtures and Olympia for tile. Maybe Rona for doors. I hope they have WIFI there so I can pull out my Pinterest boards! ;)

5 | Chantal

May 3rd, 2012 at 12:41 pm

so exciting! And stressful! I can’t wait to see the finished product.

6 | binki

May 3rd, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Party? Woot! I’ll bring my sledgehammer.

7 | Ginger

May 3rd, 2012 at 2:04 pm

So exciting! I can’t wait to see it all! :)

8 | Bob LeDrew

May 6th, 2012 at 8:34 am

Bob smash? Yes please.

9 | Cindy W

May 6th, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Weeeeeeee!!!!!

LMK if you need a coffee break!

10 | Sarah

May 15th, 2012 at 10:01 am

Andrea!

I think we’re just a week behind you. Our kitchen demo was on May 7th. We’ve been living in the living room ever since.

Really like what you have envisioned for your bathroom. That happening in July for us.

What does your kitchen look like right now? :-)

Sarah

May 15th, 2012 at 10:21 am

Sarah: The kitchen looks exactly the same. :)
As of today the demolition on the garage and back porch is completed and they’ve dug a huge hole in the backyard where the addition will be going.

We will be moving out on the 29th, at which point the demolition moves indoors. :)

NAC Ottawa family events

Saunders Farm annual passes for family fun!

Animal Inside Out BodyWorlds, Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Joan of Arc Academy in Ottawa

bucketlist

• Juli: when they forget points i send a email via app. they have been great so far. they xan look it up easily
  • Juli: I used to make sure I did my big monthly shop on the first Monday and Tuesday of each month. In addition to the special offers and in store offers Ext
  • Robyn: This sounds fun!! For long rides, comfort and weight make all the difference. If you're shopping for a new bike, hit the bike shops and try everyt
  • Judy: Go to a good bike shop to talk about what you want a bike for, how you will use it long term and see what they suggest. There are lots of options
  • Kerry Gogush Cule: I highly recommend getting your bike fitted properly. If you are interested, I can give you the name of the lady that my husband used. It was covered
  • HollyStar: I have a few bags of clothes in my van to drop off to Youville - just waiting to get to the east end. Amazing organization with incredible people. Can
  • Meg: I rode 100km on an antique norco step-through 5 speed ladies bike - in one day. It was totally fine. I didn't train, I just rode my bike because it wa

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 1000 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• So I was feeling a bit ranty and wrote this post about raising children in an age of zero privacy in the hopes it will start some conversations! Please leave your two cents right here.

- #
  • My latest post on the MediaSmarts website is up, and it's about family social media accounts. (Yes! It's a thing! And I think it's pretty neat.) Is this something you do as a family? I'd love it if you left your two cents on the topic.

- #
  • I'm sharing some of my favourite lunch-related items over on the terra20 blog today. Whether you're packing a lunch for work, for your kids, or just eating at your desk at home, I bet there is something there for you. Check it out!

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.