22 Dec, 2012
My last gift guide: Five things you can give to your favourite blogger
Posted by andrea tomkins in: Oh! Things!
I’ve been reading and writing a lot of gift guides this past month but I wanted to leave you with one more to ponder, just in case. :)
I wanted to take a moment and hash out some ideas of things you can give to your favourite bloggers.
1) Give the gift of a comment or two. The vast majority of bloggers out there consider their blogs a hobby and a labour of love. They spend countless hours in their spare time writing and editing and tweaking their blogs. The only currency they often get from it comes in the form of comments. That’s why, one of the best gifts you can give a blogger is a thoughtful comment. If you’re a lurker, show yourself! :)
2) If a public comment isn’t your style, give the gift of a thank-you in the form of a personal note to your favourite blogger. Here’s an email I received a few years ago. It is undoubtedly the best gift I have ever been given. In fact, it makes me tear up every time I talk about it. It will stay with me forever.
3) Give the gift of a click or two. Very few bloggers are able to cover the costs of operating their blogs: web space, domain name hosting, a Flickr pro account… although these things are all optional (you certainly CAN publish a blog for free) once a blogger reaches a certain level it will inevitably start to cost money. That’s why I make a point of clicking on my favourite blogger’s ads. I want my fave bloggers to keep blogging and advertisers help them do that. Advertisers are more likely to renew their contracts if they are getting some love by blog readers.
4) No blogger really expects actual presents (er, at least I don’t think so), but I will say that when it does happen it is mind-bogglingly freaky and cool. I greatly appreciate everything that people take time to choose and deliver to me and I am constantly surprised and amazed by the generosity of Fishbowl readers. I’ve received gifts of books, cookbooks, tea and coffee (gift cards are GOLD), tickets to events, things for the girls, and more. I received a digital gift card from Chapters.ca yesterday (Note: you buy it online, and it’s “delivered” online. No trip to the store required!) and I was so thrilled that I spent it right away on books that I’ve been wanting for months. Here’s an idea: how about giving your favourite blogger the published work of another blogger? I’m thinking of Matthew Inman’s How to Tell if Your Cat is Plotting to Kill You (he’s from The Oatmeal), or Julie and Julia by Julie Powell, or Let’s Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson, or The Pioneer Woman Cooks by Ree Drummond?
5) Some bloggers keep bucket lists. If you really want to do something extraordinary for your favourite blogger, poke around and see what’s on those lists. Maybe you’re in a position to make something cool happen for them?
But you know, actual gifts really are not necessary. I think all bloggers really want for Christmas is to know people are out there reading their posts and tweets and enjoying the fruits of their labour.
Anything to add to the list? Bloggers, what are some of the best gifts you’ve received? I’d love to hear about them.