03 Jan, 2019

I resolve to resolve

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

I reread yesterday’s post and am a hair’s breadth away from deleting it. I’m not entirely sure I made any sense.

Normally, I’m not really into New Year’s resolutions. I suppose it’s because I haven’t felt like I needed to make them. Well, this year I do need them. I need to hit a reset button on my physical and mental health and this is it.

I have a feeling that resolutions are really only interesting to the person doing them, so I am going to keep the blather to a minimum. I will say this: I am doubling down on my resolve to keep my daily habits. I am also undertaking a Dry January and started a Facebook group for gentle support and encouragement in a judgement-free zone. So far, it’s been very positive. Send me a message if you want more information about this!

What else? For the month of January, I am:

• Exploring my (new) tea collection from David’s Tea and kicking my afternoon coffee habit to the curb. I had the best night’s sleep in ages last night. I can’t even remember the last time I woke up feeling refreshed.
  • Not going to the gym, not even once.
  • Sticking with MyFitnessPal diary app and tracking my food properly.

In terms of creative projects, I’ve started a video project that logs my year in one second increments for 365 days. (Here’s the website of the app I’m using.) I have two days under my belt so far and am really excited about the potential here.

I am half considering buying a chin-up bar and subscribing to Headspace. If you have experience with either of these, I would love to hear from you.

Happy New Year, my fishies!

7 Responses to "I resolve to resolve"

1 | Claudette

January 3rd, 2019 at 3:43 pm

I started a bullet journal but am not following any of the rules, just doing my own thing. So far, so good! I like the idea of using a pen to paper for certain things, although most of my family stuff (activities, appointments) is on the online calendar that’s synced with the rest of the fam because otherwise I will lose my mind and everything will fall apart. :)

2 | andrea tomkins

January 3rd, 2019 at 4:09 pm

I am overwhelmed by the very idea of a bullet journal so I stick to my regular paper planner. It suits me just fine, although I love the IDEA of the bullet journal!

p.s. what did families do before shared online calendars!

3 | StaceyK

January 3rd, 2019 at 4:27 pm

If you want to experiment with meditation, I would recommend Insight Timer. It is a free app, no contract or subscription necessary. There are thousands of different meditations to choose from and you can choose the style, length, etc. for guided meditations, or you can use the timer.

4 | Fiona

January 4th, 2019 at 8:39 am

I have found that cold water therapy works well to help me reset physically and emotionally. Swimming in cold water (most city pools are too warm) is my favourite but just as effective is wearing a wet undershirt under my clothing. it takes several hours for my body to dry it, and in the process makes me feel very energetic. Putting on a wet shirt is painful for about 5 minutes, then I don’t notice it. I do this several days per week. And I use a 16 hour fast (7pm – 11am) which cuts down on morning sluggishness. Sending you best wishes for your reset. Thanks for your blog, its always a great read.

5 | andrea tomkins

January 4th, 2019 at 2:45 pm

StaceyK: Thanks very much for the recommendation. I will definitely check out Insight Timer before committing $$ elsewhere.

Fiona: WOW. I could never do that, but it’s great that you found something that works for you!

6 | a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive The January reset continues - a peek inside the fishbowl

January 10th, 2019 at 4:56 pm

[…] other day I posted about some promises I made to myself and we are ten days into the month so I wanted to share a small update. To summarize: so far so […]

7 | lose weight

January 18th, 2019 at 11:30 am

Divorce,drama, loss of a job, health problems about yourself or someone you worry about – these items happen. ”For starters, the way the Diet Solution Program is presented to your reader is proof enough.

Herbalife possess a shapeworks program for people
who want to lose weight.

• Dani: It's morrel season. Woot! https://photos.app.goo.gl/bE76iBETEpkDGU7w5
  • andrea tomkins: I will definitely check that out Tiana!
  • Yana: There is one near the train in Carleton Uni
  • Tiana: Oh there's a great book, if you haven't read it already - Gathering Moss by Robin Wall-Kimmerer.
  • Quail: Mushrooming is a fantastic hobby. Take a course in late September. These fun fall outings are usually very productive and often led by keen experts.
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive More about mushrooms - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] week I shared a quick recipe for mushrooms on toast. I deeply regret not running out and shoring up my mushroom supplies because I have a se
  • Jacquelyn: This is a personal favourite of mine. Try adding a splash of balsamic vinegar to finish the sauteed mushrooms - very umami! Also delicious with thyme

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999. The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.