13 Sep, 2006

Development in Westboro?

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Westboro

(copy of a letter emailed to the Ottawa Citizen this morning)

Under normal circumstances I am typically not a “take the bull by the horns” kind of gal. I usually let the bull trot by, and if my toes get stepped on I tell myself that’s just the way things are and chalk it up to progress.

But here I am, writing a letter to the editor.

Word on the street has it that a beautiful old building in my neighborhood is going to be torn down to make way for more posh homesteads.

The Maison Jeanne D’Arc at Kenwood and Edison in Westboro has been a fixture in this neighborhood for years. My family and I were greatly saddened to hear about its planned demise.

How can we protect this building (and others) from the greedy and rampant development that has infected this neighborhood?

There is likely another side to this story but I haven’t seen anything about it in the media. The building used to be a school and now functions as a convent. Why are they selling and where are they moving? And why doesn’t the convent and the space around it have some kind of special protection?

Maison Jeanne D'arc - WestboroMore importantly, how much of our space is going to be used for this kind of housing? What is it doing to the integrity of our neighborhood? I’m tired of seeing small homes with big lawns razed in favour of million-dollar homes that push all the boundaries. It has become increasingly obvious that every extra inch of space in this neighborhood is being coveted by money hungry developers and architects.

Where will it end?  Well, I say we’ve gone far enough.

Some people would call the development of this site and filling in its extra greenspace “progress,” but I certainly would not.

Sincerely ….

6 Responses to "Development in Westboro?"

1 | Marla

September 13th, 2006 at 9:16 am

Similar problems in our neighbourhood – developers are building places to sleep, not neighbourhoods.

2 | Miss Vicky

September 13th, 2006 at 9:49 am

Good for you. Maybe this will help root out the real story about what’s happening at this site.

3 | liss76

September 14th, 2006 at 8:26 am

I’m really concerned about this as well–I hadn’t heard anything about it, prior to the mention here, which worries me. When things are kept that quiet, it’s often for very bad reasons..

4 | Miss Vicky

September 14th, 2006 at 11:57 am

Indeed. I am told there will be a sign up shortly, so we will be able to find out more and determine what the process is.

September 14th, 2006 at 3:10 pm

Well, it’s official. The sign announcing their application for rezoning was posted today.

6 | a peek inside the fish bowl

September 15th, 2006 at 2:14 pm

[…] [this refers back to this post] […]

terra20 Ottawa

Expert lice removal services in Ottawa with Lice Services Canada

• a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive Supporting women's health in Ottawa (*sponsored) - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] need a bit of time to think about some of the issues I brought up in the first part of my post about kids and smartphones. Can you tell I
  • Tudor: My most recent blog post is about this - http://tudorrobins.ca/2017/09/technology-issues/ - it was prompted by my fifteen-year-old, who is now in grad
  • andrea tomkins: It's REALLY tough. And I definitely want to address the peer pressure aspect too. That being said, i do recall a study done by MediaSmarts that report
  • TD: For us it was when the kids started riding OC Transpo to school on their own. This meant grade 7 as that was when the school board gave them presto p
  • Molly: This is timely for us - in fact, we were just talking about when the kids *need* a phone. We figured high school, too. I agree that more screen time
  • andrea tomkins: You're welcome! It's really a win win for Ottawa families!
  • Molly: This is great! Thanks for sharing!