17 Oct, 2006

When Tupperware falls like rain

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

I hit a breaking point with the Tupperware yesterday.

I hate the stuff. LOATHE it in fact. I hate everything about Tupperware. I hate how it looks. I hate the plasticness of it. I hate how it squeaks when I wash it. I hate how it gets dingy and worn. I hate how the lids tend to disappear. I hate the idea of plastic molecules leaching into the food. I hate losing it and buying more. I hate when I find a piece of Tupperware I don’t recognize, and wonder if it belongs to someone else and I’ve forgotten to return it.

As you can see, I have strong feelings about this stuff. But most of all, I hate it when I reach into the cabinet and it comes crashing out, falling out on my head and spilling onto the floor. I especially hate it when this happens in the mornings, or any other unsuspecting moments for that matter.

Mark came home from work yesterday to find me perched on a stool in the kitchen. It looked like this:

Here’s a close up of what I was dealing with:

I have containers without lids. Where do the lids go? And why haven’t I thrown the their lonely lidless consorts in the garbage? Answer: because I’m always hoping the lids will magically appear some day. I also have extra lids with no containers, like those big white ones in the middle. I also have a round-shaped thing with bumps on one side and holes on the other…. pictured on the right side above. What is that?

Anyway. Yes. I’ve calmed down now. The shelf with the Tupperware is organized. I dread the day I need to do it again.

Ideally I would like to chuck it all and obtain some lovely glass containers for the storage of leftovers. Lunches can go into something else… hinged bento boxes maybe?

And on an unrelated note – check out the squirrels Marla sent to me awhile back. They were getting into trouble while I sorted the Tupperware.

She didn’t tell me they were such cheeky little things.

15 Responses to "When Tupperware falls like rain"

1 | robyn

October 17th, 2006 at 9:47 am

I too am a hater of tupperware – those lids get lost like dryers lose socks! I’m big on old pyrex and corningware (the stuff never gets ruined!) for leftovers, but I take my lunch in a laptop lunchbox a la vegan lunchbox. It sounds totally dorky, but it’s great! (Plus is forces me to think about what I’m bringing for lunch and not just stuffing any old thing into a brown bag).

2 | Sweet Pea

October 17th, 2006 at 10:29 am

I’m always amazed at how crazy messy the cupboard gets where the containers are stored. I hate throwing things out so I keep the containers sans lid and put plastic wrap (that look like shower caps) that I bought at the Dollar Store.

3 | Sheila

October 17th, 2006 at 3:26 pm

I’m referred to as The Plastic Queen by my significant other (and now my daughter has picked it up). I have loads of Tupperware but I have moved on to a new plastic product (Lock&Lock) with lids that snap down so they never leak and they don’t smell like the last food you stored in them and they don’t seem to discolour. I’m in love. (Sad but true.)

4 | Sharon

October 17th, 2006 at 6:41 pm

I have a drawn full of the stuff and half of it I never use. I just cleaned outmy drawer and through the continerless lids and lidless cantainers out….PLUS I never have the size I really need for that bit of left over food…

Arrrgghhhh! Runs screaming from the room.

5 | Ryan

October 17th, 2006 at 10:09 pm

My mother collected Tupperware all throughout my childhood and we always had extra this and not enough that. I have to say, using gladware alleviated a lot of problems. I never stored things in them for very long and they stores really well. I always enjoyed them. Good items when you’re not in a place for very long, too.

6 | Marla

October 17th, 2006 at 10:47 pm

Snort. I think the squirrels made off with your lids.

And, for only $14.98, you too could have tupperware organized in less than one foot of space:

Other answer: eat all the left overs while you do the dishes, or at midnight after everyone has gone to bed.

7 | Steph

October 18th, 2006 at 1:59 am

First of all that’s not Tupperware – it’s people that like you that give Tupperware a bad name!! It’s like calling tissue, Kleenx!! Tupperware is a brand name that is safe & made out of 1st run plastics and when you need it again you don’t need to buy it again and it’s not filling up the landfills plus it stands behind it’s product with it’s lifetime warranty for over 60 years!! That crap like Ziploc & Gladware or equivalent can only be used in the microwave 6 times… and only times if you have a dishwasher – the dishwasher heats up at higher temperatures than your microwave and then those containers do leach toxins into your food because you are not using it as it is meant to– it’s disposable for God’s Sake – get with the program!!

October 18th, 2006 at 8:47 am

Steph, let me ask this: what do you call cotton swabs? Or fashion dolls? Because I call them Q-tips and Barbies and I don’t think I’m far off the norm. You know what, there’s a whole bunch of product names that have become part of our language! Really!

Windex (glass cleaner)
Chapstick (lip balm)
Vaseline (petroleum jelly)
Scotch Tape (clear adhesive tape)
Jell-O (fruit gelatin)
Xerox (copy machine)
Saran Wrap (cellophane wrap)
Post-It (adhesive note paper)
Speedo (very tiny swimsuit)
Oreo (sandwich cookie)
Play-Doh (children’s modeling clay)
Thermos (thermal container for liquids)
Astroturf (fake grass)
Band-Aid (sterile adhesive bandage)
Polaroid (camera company)
Velcro (non-adhesive clothing fastener)

I call plastic storage containers “Tupperware.” And this will shock you – I recognize you are a Tupperware Advocate of high degree – but I don’t actually own “Tupperware” although I may have alluded to that in my post. I should have referred to my “plastic storage containers” or my “Rubbermaids” but that didn’t sound very good on preview.

For the record, I never heat food in any kind of plastic container. Even if it was actual Tupperware I would never do it. Never. Yuck.

My preference is to use non-plastic containers for food storage although this isn’t always possible. My children go to a school where it’s encouraged to send lunches that leave no trash. I’m not sure if kids who bring Lunchables and other heavily-packaged foods are ostracized, but it is frowned upon. Not just by staff but by students. And for the most part, I avoid packing food in Ziplocs a.k.a. “resealable plastic bags.” And here’s a secret: I’ve even hand washed and resused them (!) especially the larger ones that are made of heavier plastic. I hate the fact that we live in such a disposable society, and I try to do my part by not making needless contributions to our local landfill.

One last thing. I have to apologize to you, Tupperware Agent Steph, my post (and this comment) must have been greatly offensive to you. I’m sorry if that’s the case.

9 | DaniGirl

October 18th, 2006 at 10:36 am

I, on the other hand, hate leftovers. HATE them. Rarely does a leftover make its way into my fridge, because it surely will rot and turn green before I deign to eat it.

So I need only a bare minimum of tupperware-ish storage devices. Most of my food storage is done in plastic ziploc-ish bags, and I will wash and recycle them if they aren’t horribly nasty.

10 | DaniGirl

October 18th, 2006 at 10:39 am

P.S. I was going to blog about this myself but haven’t gotten around to it.

At Tristan’s school, the JK kids are supposed to bring a snack and a drink, even though they’re only there for 2.5 hours. I hate juice tetra packs, and have yet to find a reusable straw drinking box that doesn’t leak. I asked at Parent’s Night if there was a water fountain where he could get a drink, rather than sending those horrid tetrapacks, and most of the parents (and teachers) looked at me like I had three heads.

11 | liss76

October 18th, 2006 at 1:02 pm

I do send some things in bags like this, but I have written on the bag in black marker that it is not to be thrown out–that it gets reused. ;o)

After all, how dirty does a bag with a few pretzels in it get in the grand scheme of things? ;)

The use of plastic containers weirds me out, but I freely admit to doing it. I have two small kids. Plastic food containers are relatively unbreakable. I love the idea of the bento boxes, but my JK son only take a snack to school and I don’t send nearly enough with him to make one of thse worthwhile! ;o)

Maybe next year.. and maybe one for me too! ;o)

12 | Chantal

October 18th, 2006 at 1:49 pm

Wow. I didn’t realize that you could offend anyone with a post about Tupperware! Awesome. :)

October 18th, 2006 at 2:20 pm

Dani: at our school we were asked not to pack drinks for kinder students. There’s a drinking fountain in the classroom. You might have the same set up?

I have had to pack containers of milk in Emma’s lunches. Rubbermaid makes a drinkbox with a tight-fitting lid. Just make sure you don’t get confused and use a dollar-store lid on a Rubbermaid container. (Not my fault, it was early, they’re both purple, and I was sick!) Because if you do, it’ll come loose and flood your kid’s sneakers with milk. It will take mucho scrubbing to get the sour milk smell out of their souls. Just sayin’.

*sigh*

14 | liss76

October 18th, 2006 at 2:37 pm

It will take mucho scrubbing to get the sour milk smell out of their souls.

Can I just say that this giggle caused me mucho laughter? ‘Cause it’s pretty awesome! :oD

I had no idea sour milk had such a permeating odour! ;o)