25 Nov, 2006

Vintage Sesame Street

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Links and other procrastination

I have just spent an awful long time on YouTube thanks mostly to KarrieW whose post inspired me to go looking. :)

I’ve had this fuzzy memory of an opera-singing orange on Sesame Street … I looked, and it was there! OMG. It’s been at least 25 years since I’ve seen it. Anyone else remember it?

This one really stands out too. Oh, and this one! There’s also the Twiddlebugs. I always hoped they were real.

There’s something really special about the old Sesame Street. The segments were longer, slower paced, and more thoughtful… there were entire musical tributes dedicated to letters of the alphabet. And the songs were actually good. *sigh* Those were the good old days, weren’t they?

Did you grow up watching this show? Which segments were your favourites?

20 Responses to "Vintage Sesame Street"

1 | BeachMama

November 25th, 2006 at 9:07 am

I love the vintage Sesame Street. One of my favorites is the “an” segment. Where you take the tan van and drive with Stan… There were many fav’s the twiddlebugs were another. The old shows were running on PBS for a while, but we don’t get them anymore.

2 | mrsgryphon

November 25th, 2006 at 12:22 pm

Oh, I loved the Twiddlebugs… and I always remember the “This is Kermit THE Frog, reporting live from….” segments :) Remember when he interviewed “BaaBaa Walters?”. Oh, and the “Psssst – wanna buy a letter P?” guy!! So many favourites!

Did you know there’s a vintage Sesame Street DVD box set available at Chapters? It’s on the Christmas list for our little Bean.

3 | CC

November 25th, 2006 at 12:26 pm

I always remember
1, 2, 3, 4 ,5…
11, 122222222222222222222222.
I think it was a pinball machine and the camera followed the ball around in the machine???
Gosh, I really can’t remember much but I do remember the song I just can’t “sing” it over the comments!!!
Was that even Sesame Street?

4 | Sweet Pea

November 25th, 2006 at 1:35 pm

You forgot the Typewriter Guy!

I agree that Sesame Street was better in the “old days” but still quality programming for children today. It’s one of the few programs that I let our Pea watch. Still educational and fun.

Mrs. Gryphon, I’ll have to check out the DVD set. I’m sure it’ll be lots of fun to watch.

CC, yes, that was Sesame Street. Great song!

Andrea, thanks for the walk down memory lane.

5 | Chantal

November 25th, 2006 at 1:36 pm

I loved the Kermit The Frog news segments. My favourite was the one where Humpty Dumpty fell off the wall. All the kings horses and me were scrambling around. So cool.

That and Muppets In Space, but that could have been The Muppet Show?

November 25th, 2006 at 1:48 pm

CC: I think this is it…

November 25th, 2006 at 1:49 pm

OMG: and here it is in Dutch too!

November 25th, 2006 at 1:50 pm

I found my FAVOURITE twiddlebugs segment:

9 | Zhenia

November 25th, 2006 at 5:10 pm

I loved the opera-singing orange and the number-12 pinball machine, but I have to admit, Subway! has got to be one of my all-time favourites.

10 | kerflop

November 25th, 2006 at 5:22 pm

I TOTALLY remember the opera singing orange! I must be hormonal because that brought a tear to my eye.

11 | Marla

November 26th, 2006 at 10:50 am

OOOH! Mnomneop Bee dee be de bee! That one was my favourite. I still find myself singing it.

12 | Kristina

November 27th, 2006 at 9:47 am

Get your groove on with “Pinball Number Count” (the official name of that track). Download it here:

Factoid: Did you know it was sung by the Pointer Sisters?

13 | niks

November 27th, 2006 at 5:31 pm

I LOVED the pinball machine! And I remember a segment on making perogies with an oddly hummable tune. There was also a muppet who had trouble writing songs and would bang his head on the piano a lot — I can relate to him!

14 | Sunnyday

November 28th, 2006 at 8:01 pm

Ooooh, Sesame Street. I think part of the reason I went into journalism was Kermit the Frog and his breaking-news stories! Those were my favorites as well as the Twiddlebugs’ “we’ll take the car to the zoo!” segment. Also, the one that showed the chef tossing dough until he created a whole pizza. =)

Hmm i cannot remember the pinball machine thingie you guys are talking about. =( Guess I’ll have to look for that vintage DVD. =)

Andrea, thank you so much for this reminiscing. It certainly made my day!

15 | Bill

August 27th, 2008 at 9:07 pm

The pianist was Don Music (“Oh, I’ll never get it! Never!”) … I’m also looking for the perogies clip (it had shots of a factory while a choir sang “Pe-e-e-e-ro-gies, pe-e-e-e-e-ro-gies, pe-e-e-e-ro-gies, pe-e-e-e-ro-gieeeeees!”)

Also “Let’s call it co-operation!” “No, let’s call it Shirley!”

And “I wonder what would happen if I popped my balloon”

16 | Melanie m

August 11th, 2009 at 3:04 am

Who is the “pst wanna buy a p” guy????

17 | Laura

February 27th, 2010 at 4:19 pm

I have also been looking for the perogies song and does anyone else remember a Flabbergasted song by Don Music?

18 | Kid-friendly YouTube videos: help me make a list >> a peek inside the fishbowl

May 27th, 2010 at 6:39 am

[...] Feist sings on Sesame Street (Oh, there’s so much Sesame Street on YouTube. I’ve written about this before.) [...]

19 | Donelda

January 27th, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Looking for the pierogi song …. can anyone help me ?

20 | Trina Chapman

August 10th, 2014 at 1:58 am

Here is the perogie song.

NAC Nutcracker

Fall fun at Saunders Farm!

Joan of Arc Academy in Ottawa

OMS Ottawa Montessori schools

terra20 Ottawa

Bugs at the Canadian Museum of Nature Ottawa

• Heather: Thank you for the reminder. Having the REDBLACKS in the Grey Cup this year took over in the brain.
  • andrea tomkins: Claudette, I do love those mom and pop shops! We have lots in this area too. Binki, to answer your question, yes, I'm representing Ottawa, even th
  • binki: I don't get this. You are representing Ottawa? Just you...for the whole city?
  • Claudette: We live in a neighbourhood south of Lakeshore (along Lake Ontario) and all along Lakeshore there are many bustling little businesses, not chains, most
  • andrea tomkins: Brenda ... I haven't! I will definitely check it out. Thanks for the recommendation!
  • Tricia: Oooh, I love this stuff!
  • Caroline: Zaatar pita chips crumbled instead of croutons. I just had the chips with homemade hummus and tabbouleh for lunch. Yum!

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (16) and Sarah (14). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 1000 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

... check out past nightstand reads right here.

On this date in the archives