18 Dec, 2006

DIY gifts part four: the sock dog

Posted by andrea tomkins in: File under crafty

My sock dog

Handmade projects are the best; best to give, best to receive. But not all of us can sew/knit/crochet. In fact, some of us are not even remotely able to make sewy things. And there are soooo many cute projects out there. Finally, here’s a cute sewing project for the non-sewer. (It’s so easy even I can do it! Really! That’s my sock dog pictured above!)

Here are the instructions: page one and page two. [Links go to  PDFs formerly hosted on the MSL website. They are not documents of my own making.]

I’ve made a couple of these doggies. The socks above were ones I bought at the dollar store, and all it took was a bit of thread, a bit of stuffing and a couple nights in front of the telly.

Got a sock dog of your own? Or perhaps a sock bunny or a traditional sock monkey? If so I’d love to see it!

8 Responses to "DIY gifts part four: the sock dog"

1 | Zhenia

December 18th, 2006 at 2:07 pm

Eeeeeee! I love this dog.

2 | Sarakastic

December 18th, 2006 at 4:07 pm

That’s adorable I love the use of patterned socks, i hadn’t thought about that. Thanks for sharing.

3 | Pearl

December 28th, 2006 at 8:53 pm

That’s fun. I have a sock monkey. If he gets lonesome, I can make him a companion, or a pet.

4 | Scattered Mom

November 29th, 2008 at 12:23 pm

Omg, that is so cute! Perfect for my dog loving step daughter.

5 | rlp

February 27th, 2010 at 11:03 am

I really love the pup!Its just so perfect,I’ve never thought of doing that.I’ve made a sockmonkey before but never a dog,I’ll be sure to make one!

6 | Courtney

September 12th, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I love the dog, and i would like to make it, but the links arent working :/

7 | UsedEverywhere | Eight things to do with stray socks - UsedEverywhere

April 7th, 2014 at 6:58 pm

[…] 4 – Sock dogs. Once upon a time I made some gifts. They are surprisingly easy to make, even for someone like myself. Photos and instructions over here. […]

8 | Aaron Keniry

March 15th, 2016 at 8:01 pm

I have been exploring for a bit for any high-quality articles or weblog posts in this kind of area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this website. Studying this info So i am happy to express that I have a very good uncanny feeling I discovered exactly what I needed. I such a lot indisputably will make certain to do not omit this web site and give it a look on a constant basis.

terra20 Ottawa

National Arts Centre Ottawa

• 4,258 deaths: As a society we MUST talk about this. It's bad and getting worse. The C in LCBO is Control and yet their mandate seems to now be HEAVY PROMOTION o
  • andrea tomkins: Thanks all. It's a tough issue for sure. And it's not like I don't drink wine, I do (and beer, probably more beer) but I agree that a line has been cr
  • Marguerite: Your post rings for me. I worked as a psychotherapist in varous treatment centers in Ottawa for 20+ years, mostly in women only facilities and I have
  • Lynn: I also think it's crossed a line somewhere. It used to be you'd think about an evening out with your girlfriends, and having a glass of wine there mar
  • Tudor Robins: As a non-drinker, this type of merchandise seems a little baffling, somewhat sad, even a bit tacky; never cute, or cool, or particularly funny. But I
  • Cath in Ottawa: I'm really glad you wrote about this - I've been really conscious of this trend the last few months and have been trying to sort out my feelings about
  • Misty Pratt: I've written about this before too, but have focused more on the wine-drinking mom culture. And hey, I'm no innocent, because I partake and crack joke

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (17) and Sarah (15). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 1550 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog