18 Dec, 2006

DIY gifts part four: the sock dog

Posted by andrea tomkins in: File under crafty

My sock dog

Handmade projects are the best; best to give, best to receive. But not all of us can sew/knit/crochet. In fact, some of us are not even remotely able to make sewy things. And there are soooo many cute projects out there. Finally, here’s a cute sewing project for the non-sewer. (It’s so easy even I can do it! Really! That’s my sock dog pictured above!)

Here are the instructions: page one and page two. [Links go to  PDFs formerly hosted on the MSL website. They are not documents of my own making.]

I’ve made a couple of these doggies. The socks above were ones I bought at the dollar store, and all it took was a bit of thread, a bit of stuffing and a couple nights in front of the telly.

Got a sock dog of your own? Or perhaps a sock bunny or a traditional sock monkey? If so I’d love to see it!

Print this post Print this post

7 Responses to "DIY gifts part four: the sock dog"

1 | Zhenia

December 18th, 2006 at 2:07 pm

Eeeeeee! I love this dog.

2 | Sarakastic

December 18th, 2006 at 4:07 pm

That’s adorable I love the use of patterned socks, i hadn’t thought about that. Thanks for sharing.

3 | Pearl

December 28th, 2006 at 8:53 pm

That’s fun. I have a sock monkey. If he gets lonesome, I can make him a companion, or a pet.

4 | Scattered Mom

November 29th, 2008 at 12:23 pm

Omg, that is so cute! Perfect for my dog loving step daughter.

5 | rlp

February 27th, 2010 at 11:03 am

I really love the pup!Its just so perfect,I’ve never thought of doing that.I’ve made a sockmonkey before but never a dog,I’ll be sure to make one!

6 | Courtney

September 12th, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I love the dog, and i would like to make it, but the links arent working :/

7 | UsedEverywhere | Eight things to do with stray socks - UsedEverywhere

April 7th, 2014 at 6:58 pm

[…] 4 - Sock dogs. Once upon a time I made some gifts. They are surprisingly easy to make, even for someone like myself. Photos and instructions over here. […]

NAC Ottawa family events

Summertime fun at Saunders Farm!

Creatures of Light Nature's Bioluminescence at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

bucketlist

etc.

• maryatparenthood: Canoe camping is great, but if there is an access point for a motor boat you can still get the hullabaloos. Lakes with no motorized traffic or camp gr
  • wanda: Our family likes car camp, but in our experience not all provincial parks are as bad as you just experienced...we remember your experience.....Presqui
  • lacoop: I'm with the "canoe" crowd. You can rent at Algonquin Park. Simply the best way to get away from the yahoos.
  • Lynn: Noooooot making me overcome my fear of camping any time soon :). Hope the tale of the trail search has a happy ending!
  • Susan: I recommend Frontenac (Provincial Park 2/3s the way to Kingston from Ottawa). There are hike in sites, canoe in sites and no car camping. There is a c
  • Greg: An alternative is camping off-season. Once schools are in session you lose most of the families with kids during the week. The folks who want to sit a
  • Misty Pratt: oh, and get a radio-free site!! It helps not to have music blaring, although it doesn't take care of arguments about socks :)

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 758 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's a recent one:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

A year before

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: