18 Dec, 2006

DIY gifts part four: the sock dog

Posted by andrea tomkins in: File under crafty

My sock dog

Handmade projects are the best; best to give, best to receive. But not all of us can sew/knit/crochet. In fact, some of us are not even remotely able to make sewy things. And there are soooo many cute projects out there. Finally, here’s a cute sewing project for the non-sewer. (It’s so easy even I can do it! Really! That’s my sock dog pictured above!)

Here are the instructions: page one and page two. [Links go to  PDFs formerly hosted on the MSL website. They are not documents of my own making.]

I’ve made a couple of these doggies. The socks above were ones I bought at the dollar store, and all it took was a bit of thread, a bit of stuffing and a couple nights in front of the telly.

Got a sock dog of your own? Or perhaps a sock bunny or a traditional sock monkey? If so I’d love to see it!

Print this post Print this post

7 Responses to "DIY gifts part four: the sock dog"

1 | Zhenia

December 18th, 2006 at 2:07 pm

Eeeeeee! I love this dog.

2 | Sarakastic

December 18th, 2006 at 4:07 pm

That’s adorable I love the use of patterned socks, i hadn’t thought about that. Thanks for sharing.

3 | Pearl

December 28th, 2006 at 8:53 pm

That’s fun. I have a sock monkey. If he gets lonesome, I can make him a companion, or a pet.

4 | Scattered Mom

November 29th, 2008 at 12:23 pm

Omg, that is so cute! Perfect for my dog loving step daughter.

5 | rlp

February 27th, 2010 at 11:03 am

I really love the pup!Its just so perfect,I’ve never thought of doing that.I’ve made a sockmonkey before but never a dog,I’ll be sure to make one!

6 | Courtney

September 12th, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I love the dog, and i would like to make it, but the links arent working :/

7 | UsedEverywhere | Eight things to do with stray socks - UsedEverywhere

April 7th, 2014 at 6:58 pm

[…] 4 - Sock dogs. Once upon a time I made some gifts. They are surprisingly easy to make, even for someone like myself. Photos and instructions over here. […]

NAC Ottawa family events

Saunders Farm annual passes for family fun!

Arctic Voices, Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Sustainable shopping at terra20 - Ottawa

Visit tThe Village Quire in Westboro Ottawa!

Joan of Arc Academy in Ottawa

Picture of a boy with the Parenting in Ottawa bilingual logo. Ad links to Ottawa Public Healths Parenting in Ottawa website.

bucketlist

• Katie: Lovely post, lovely topic. Rings true. Thanks for the reminder.
  • andrea tomkins: We were in Punta Cana!
  • Carla: Are you not in Roatan? It looks just like where im sittting...
  • coffee with julie: Oh, I think back to having a baby lying on my chest sleeping often. It really is divine, like you said. Thank you for this post. I loved it.
  • KristaR: Beautiful post Mark. My husband and I were reminiscing just the other day about those glorious and delicious hours we spent with babies sound asleep o
  • binkee: I heart Pamela Kirk !
  • Cath in Ottawa: Ooh just finished that book - thought it was very good. Love the loblaws initiative on blemished produce!

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 991 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• So I was feeling a bit ranty and wrote this post about raising children in an age of zero privacy in the hopes it will start some conversations! Please leave your two cents right here.

- #
  • My latest post on the MediaSmarts website is up, and it's about family social media accounts. (Yes! It's a thing! And I think it's pretty neat.) Is this something you do as a family? I'd love it if you left your two cents on the topic.

- #
  • I'm sharing some of my favourite lunch-related items over on the terra20 blog today. Whether you're packing a lunch for work, for your kids, or just eating at your desk at home, I bet there is something there for you. Check it out!

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.

On this date in the archives

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: