14 Feb, 2007

An un-Valentine’s post

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

Be Nobody’s Darling
 – by Alice Walker

Be nobody’s darling;
Be an outcast.
Take the contradictions
Of your life
And wrap around
You like a shawl,
To parry stones
To keep you warm.
Watch the people succumb
To madness
With ample cheer;
Let them look askance at you
And you askance reply.
Be an outcast;
Be pleased to walk alone
(Uncool)
They said.
Be nobody’s darling;
Be an outcast
Qualified to live
Among your dead…

——–

Mark bought the girls a small box of chocolates and a card which we both signed. It was waiting for them on the dining room table this morning.

Sarah made me breakfast.

Me, I’m not big on exchanging gifts for v-day. I’m happy with a good dinner.

Sadly, I’ve been too busy this week to undertake v-day crafty projects with the girls. I’m a little disappointed in myself. Just because it’s not a big deal to me doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be a big deal for the girls.

I’m thinking of making this with them when they get home this afternoon. Or this, although I’m not sure if we have any t-shirt transfer paper left. What do you think? It’s not a great day to be feeling uninspired huh?

6 Responses to "An un-Valentine’s post"

1 | Mark

February 14th, 2007 at 11:53 am

When I was out picking up the cards for Valentines I actually saw cards that said “Happy Un-Valentines Day” on them. Who would buy these ? If you are opposed to Valentines (and it’s probably because you feel it’s a “Hallmark” holiday)…why would you buy a Hallmark card to make note of this. My brain hurts just thinking about this.

2 | Marla

February 14th, 2007 at 12:10 pm

I will paraphrase (paraphrase means get it wrong, right?) a quote from my old friend Edward Bear –

“Nobody can be un-cheered by a Valentine”

Which, I think, is not from any of the books but from a t-shirt I saw somewhere. But the sentiment is there, okay?

3 | Carrie

February 14th, 2007 at 3:30 pm

I *love* that placemat idea. I like saving things too… at least for a little while, until the clutter starts driving me crazy. I am definitely filing this away for future reference. Hope your Valentines Day funk goes away soon. :)

4 | Claudette

February 14th, 2007 at 4:36 pm

Well, I don’t know if the home made V-day cards that Ben potato-stamped were at hit at his school. No one else made any. He got a loot bag from filled with stuff from some of the kids. (reminds me of Xmas and Halloween) Seems Disney (and Dora) is prevalant. My kid’s not into either, so he wouldn’t know about this.

Making stuff isn’t that hard although it requires time, and stamina, both of which I have llittle left today considering

1) shoveled, then shovled some more, before returning to some more shoveling

2) toddler is not napping today. We’re currently playing with blocks, lego and magnets.

Happy Valentine’s day. I too want a nice dinner, maybe sme wine…

February 14th, 2007 at 4:51 pm

I’ve forced myself to snap out my stupor by doing the following things:

– Shoveling our driveway and our neighbor’s driveway
– Spending $20+ on desserts for tonight
– Running out to get blank t-shirts for the girls. Project t-shirt transfer is officially underway!
– Creating a quickie art project … still under wraps for now.

So here’s the question, should I pour myself a glass of wine before the girls’ gymnastics class tonight or not? ;)

6 | Claudette

February 14th, 2007 at 4:59 pm

What a question….go for it!

• andrea tomkins: Thanks Lynn! I will keep doing it as long as I enjoy doing it. :)
  • Lynn: just chiming in to say how much I still enjoy these weekly reading lists. That Google food one was fascinating!
  • Nick: In February, only one thing is good - this is the last month of winter and spring will come soon and it will be warm)
  • Tannia: I someone today who said he played polkaroo.
  • Tannia: What was the actor's name who played polkaroo?
  • Lynn: Oh man, I can see this as my future in just a few short years. Between you and Allison (who's oldest is off in America for university), I can hardly r
  • Amy: Although what your daughter says makes sense and I'd follow her advice when you can, keep in mind that ride-sharing apps are a very recent way to trav