11 Feb, 2007

Monday Show and Tell: it’s possible to have fun in the winter, and here’s proof

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Mondays are for Show and Tell|Multimedia experiments|Ottawa

We have something a little different for Show and Tell this week because I didn’t have time to set something up with the kiddies. But here, Mark made a video! And it’s um, kinda about the kids, so I say it’s okay. :)

On Saturday we went sledding at the Experimental Farm and checked out some Winterlude festivities at Dow’s Lake. You will see Ice Hogs, Beaver Tails, bed pushers and lots of white stuff. (Whoa, that all sounded pretty dirty, didn’t it?)

Crank up the audio, but trust me when I say you will never get that song out of your head.

View the large, good quality, streaming Quicktime movie here, or [removed because of bandwidth issues] the easy-to-view but kinda-dark-and-blurry-not-so-great-quality-version we uploaded to YouTube here.

ETA: You might be wondering why the girls are wearing helmets. This is the first time we enforced it on a toboggan hill. This hill is really steep in parts, and there are trees everywhere and for some reason the City puts plastic-wrapped hay bales in front of each one. It must be to protect the tree, because the hay is practically rock hard. In fact, one kid got hurt while we were there. The scene of the accident? A hay-fronted tree. The paramedics had to slide down the hill with a stretcher.

* your little Show n’ Teller is more than welcome to particpate in Monday Show and Tell. Read more about it in our past installments.

13 Responses to "Monday Show and Tell: it’s possible to have fun in the winter, and here’s proof"

1 | Claudette

February 12th, 2007 at 8:42 am

I have been looking forward to participating in this show and tell. I finally have something!

I mentioned in a past post that my 22-month toddler Benjamin and I are making potato-stamp cards for Valentine’s day. So, here they are!

2 | megan

February 12th, 2007 at 10:44 am

I will have to wait until I get home to view the video. Here is Audrey’s show and tell for this week.

3 | Jennifer

February 12th, 2007 at 12:54 pm

I must say, that was the coolest home video I have ever seen. The Beaver Tails are making my mouth water…

I love reading here, even though we are strangers (is that a little wierd??) Keep it up, you have inspiring ideas, and I’m not talking about just the crafts (although they are pretty fabulous).

4 | zhenia

February 12th, 2007 at 1:50 pm

I’m going to have that song stuck in my head all day now.

5 | twinmomplusone

February 12th, 2007 at 2:04 pm

oh my Andrea, I LOVE LOVE LOVE that video. What pure fun, great editing and music. It definitely put me in a very happy place, so many thanks for that ;)

February 12th, 2007 at 2:07 pm

twinmom: it’s Mark who deserves the accolades, not me!

(I have to agree. And I think we need more home movies like this one.)

7 | megan

February 12th, 2007 at 3:34 pm

Mark, your video makes me wish I lived somewhere that had a hill or a steep slope or something. I fear my kids will grow up never knowing what it means to go sledding. It also makes me what to figure out how to make movies on the computer. We have the equiptment, just not the know-how.

8 | erin

February 12th, 2007 at 10:47 pm

What a cute and fun video! We got back out for an adult skate on Thursday night, but it was cold and snowy – no time to stop for a snack. Perhaps I’ll try to get my nephews out for a toboggan next weekend…. but I think they’re yet a little young (only 3). What age to young’ins get started a-sledding in these parts?

February 12th, 2007 at 10:52 pm

Erin – we like to get them started in-utero.

Kidding aside, we have been pulling the kiddies around on a sled since they were old enough to sit upright. We waited a couple extra months before sendin’ ’em down a hill though. :)

10 | erin

February 12th, 2007 at 11:03 pm

ha, funny. I believe it. Hey, if you don’t mind my asking, what programs does Mark use for his video editing? (and is he mac or pc?) My dad is an avid home-movie maker and I’d love to give him some advice.

February 12th, 2007 at 11:16 pm

He’s on a Mac. And he uses Adobe Final Cut Pro. Mark has been watching this thread like a hawk (savouring the compliments you know!) so Mark, please correct me if I’m wrong. :)

12 | Mark

February 13th, 2007 at 12:34 am

errr…it’s not an Adobe program. It’s an Apple program and it’s Final Cut Express 2, which is essentially Final Cut Pro but without some of the higher end functions (which you don’t need for home editing). It’s a bit of a learning curve so buy a book or two if you want to take full advantage of it’s capabilities…and thanks for the comments … oh and many many more videos to come so stay tuned !

13 | Sharon

February 13th, 2007 at 10:11 am

I finally had some for today…Nathan having fun at winterlude and forgot to come here to post it.

Oh well.

Next week maybe.

Going for more coffee.

terra20 Ottawa

Expert lice removal services in Ottawa with Lice Services Canada

• Lynn: WAY behind in my blog reading, but I had to comment as I catch up because I've been there - had lost days. What is it about super busy women like us t
  • www.thongtincanhochungcu.info: Packing your personal stuff, like food, clothes and accessories can be a task for women, I guess. It's can be a favourite for yoga groups with a
  • ichungcusaigon.info: Cancun real estate now offers quick access to all in the modern conveniences retirees from your U. While picking a real estate agent to dedicate yo
  • SJM: My father sent epic care packages when I was at Uni - one per term. It included a 6 pack of beer and lots of food. This was when postage was much chea
  • andrea tomkins: I KNOW. It's crazy that we are now the parents of an adult. I can hardly believe it myself most days! :)
  • Allison: What!!??!! How is your daughter in university?!! That just cannot be!!! So glad to hear she is adjusting well and having fun and enjoying her classes
  • andrea tomkins: Great ideas Joy! Especially the POST-its! They're actually an expensive purchase for a student, so they'd make a nice addition to a care package.