21 Mar, 2007

Groceries! In Westboro?!?! BE STILL MY BEATING HEART!

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Westboro|Misc. life

Westboro market - here's where it's goingDo you know where Simply Wood used to be? They had a double-sized storefront on Richmond Road just west of the Scotiabank.

Well my pretties, I just saw a paper notice taped on the window: WESTBORO is getting a food shop! I was so crazed with joy I didn’t make note of any details. Gah! (And I had my camera too, how silly of me.) It looks like it will have a deli/lunch counter, organic stuff, and a healthy meals-to-order service.

More details to come once I gather my senses. I am so excited. This is great news for our neighborhood!

Edited to add:

To quote the notice in the window:

Westboro Market will be “a comprehensive grocer that provides customers with fresh produce, dairy, grocery items, pastries, baking, and take home items.”  (!!!)

Westboro market - here's the notice

22 Responses to "Groceries! In Westboro?!?! BE STILL MY BEATING HEART!"

1 | Bob LeDrew

March 21st, 2007 at 4:00 pm

(entering cynical mode): Yeah, and I have no doubt that the prices will be rrrrrock bottom too.

(exiting cynical mode) But I hope I’m wrong.

(re-entering cynical mode) And given the current parking situation on Richmond, god help anyone who buys cat litter or a 20lb bag of organic basmati — they’ll be walking it back to the Loblaws parking lot, which was the closest place to park they could find.

(re-exiting c.m.) But it’s better than a Tim Horton’s.

2 | Sharon

March 21st, 2007 at 4:15 pm

What no foodmart in Westboro? Your almost as bad as I out in the boonies.

;)

March 21st, 2007 at 7:47 pm

Bob: I see your point. If I had to take a guess, I would assume the prices are probably going to be higher too. But if the produce etc is better quality than the crud that is served up at the Superstore (Sharon, this is relatively close-by) I will be there every day with bells on.

I think it’s going to be something like a Herb & Spice, but with a lesser focus on vegetables. And if the owners are smart they’ll leave the cat litter to Loblaws!

re: parking. I hope and pray the city doesn’t do something stupid like build an above-ground parking lot in there somewhere. We need to do encourage more pedestrian traffic. We can only do this by making it more difficult for people to drive. More stores like this will help. I mean hey, it’s the European model of grocery shopping, and with this kind of store opening up we could easily embrace it. Imagine: smaller amounts of fresh goods bought on a near-daily basis. Imagine how great that would be…. for all kinds of reasons.

4 | Bob LeDrew

March 22nd, 2007 at 8:48 am

Down in Wellington Village, Champlain Park, we’re lucky enough to do that now, what with Saslove’s, H&S, Parma Ravioli, and the Loeb all conveniently located for us. And we’re (at least not yet) not at the frenzy level of the stretch of Richmond where this new market will be located.

And don’t get me started on the friggin’ Superstore. You’re lucky if they have EGGS in the damn place. Four billion square feet of retail, and they can’t get eggs delivered? Or produce that doesn’t look a house plant that I am responsible for? Oy vey.

5 | nancy

March 22nd, 2007 at 9:56 am

The book shelf and dresser in my boys’ room are from Simply Wood. Did they move? Close up shop? That makes me a little sad.

6 | liss76

March 22nd, 2007 at 1:06 pm

Nothing is too big if a person is willing to bring along their own grocery cart. I have one I use for getting multiple 10lb bags of veggies at the market–they’re usually 3 bags for $10, so I needed something that could help me get it all home. I live far too close to drive down, given I can see the market from my doorstep. ;o)

This summer, though, I’ve a challenge in store for me that involves being car-free for a month. It will also necessitate finding and purchasing myself a kickass grocery cart. LOL I wonder if MEC sells them?

7 | lala

March 22nd, 2007 at 1:45 pm

But what is happening to Simply Wood. I bought a dresser from them over 10 years ago and it’s still fantastic. It was worth the $400.

March 22nd, 2007 at 2:27 pm

They moved… there was something in the paper about it. They’re somewhere near the Science & Tech museum now.

We loved them. We had a corner cabinet built for our TV, and two nightables and some shelves.

9 | Rhea

March 22nd, 2007 at 6:26 pm

Good lord! I’m going to have to move to Westboro. Now, do I need to get citizenship? I’m from Boston.

10 | Alex

March 24th, 2007 at 9:59 pm

Re: Simply Wood … I just moved into the Exchange (at Berkley) and am buying a bunch of stuff from Simply Wood. Yes, they’ve moved … they’re now at 2275 Gladwin Crescent, still with same phone number (613-722-9993).

Re: Food … yay! We really need a grocery type store near here. More restaurants would be nice too. Oh, and while I’m dreaming nice dreams, how about something nice/trendy that’s actually open after 11! A nice lounge or martini bar or something. Well, I’m new to the area … maybe there’s someplace fun tucked away somewhere that I haven’t discovered yet. Oh … one more pleasant dream … I know you Ottawa-natives love your 47-grain organic fat-free bread, but as someone who grew up in Montreal, I’d die for a bakery that actually made a good baguette! An “Au Premiere Moisson” nearby would be a dream come true.

With regards to parking … well, for me it won’t matter too much, they’ll be close enough to walk … but I do think some people should be a little less religious in their anti-car fervour. Extra parking is _not_ a bad thing. With regards to street parking, changing the 1hr limit to 2hrs would be nice, IMHO.

March 25th, 2007 at 9:19 am

Hi Alex: Welcome to the neighborhood!

I’m so glad that Simply Wood didn’t just go under. They are great. We like them so much.

re: food.
Latenight nosh try Trio. They’re a few blocks Eastward at 307 Richmond Rd. The closest bakery to you is Westboro Bakeries: Bread of Heaven. I’m not sure what their baguettes are like. But I do highly recommend their garlic/herb/cheese loaf.

p.s. Are you new to Ottawa? You might want to consider picking up a copy of Cheapeats Ottawa. It’s a great guide to excellent, inexpensive eating around town. :)

12 | Alex

March 28th, 2007 at 7:55 pm

Thanks Andrea … I’ll check out your suggestions. No, I’ve been in Ottawa for a while now, but I’m new to this part of town.

13 | Jay

April 18th, 2007 at 7:32 pm

Walked by the Westboro Market storefront today and our curiosity was piqued. No, scratch that, we were downright excited! This was the one thing that this end of Richmond really, really needed. Had to learn more: Google is your friend and that led straight to Fish Bowl. Thanks for the info!

14 | Jocelyne

May 4th, 2007 at 8:36 am

I’m so exited. don’t you even just need one tomato? now you can walk down and get it!

15 | Catherine Francois

May 8th, 2007 at 11:52 am

I used to by cakes Premiere Moisson at Farm Boy on Merivale. They have discontinued that line and I don’t like as much the other line of cakes. I would like to know if I can buy bakery products (cakes etc…) in Westoboro and where?

Thanks for any help.

Catherine

16 | Miss Vicky

May 8th, 2007 at 1:25 pm

for cakes, head a little east to Wellington Village. There are cakes at Three Tarts Bakery, the Ottawa Bagel Shoppe and Three Bakers and a Bike. Harvest Loaf has good pies and bread.

May 8th, 2007 at 8:10 pm

I’m not familiar with that company Catherine, so I’m not sure where you can find a Moisson cake.

I’ve heard that Three Bakers has wonderful cakes. I’d try there first.

18 | Susan

May 15th, 2007 at 12:43 pm

Anyone know of when they might have a website up and running or when they are aiming to open?

19 | Catherine Francois

May 21st, 2007 at 6:27 pm

Premiere Moisson is a French bakery in Montreal . They make very good cakes with the real thing (butter , cream etc..) they also make very good jam. They used to sell through Farm Boy. The one I used to go on Merivale road has discontinued their line. I am trying to locate other stores who represent them.

Thanks Andrea and Vicki for your comments.

May 21st, 2007 at 6:35 pm

Susan: I’ve been peeking in and around the store but haven’t seen anyone I can ask. I’m hoping they’re going to open soon. I’d love to have another place to go to in the village. :)

21 | David

June 8th, 2007 at 9:45 am

Hi all! We are open! Please come and visit our store, we are happy to be in the neighborhood :)

22 | Mick Frost

February 19th, 2008 at 2:28 pm

There she blows! Here today, gone today. And I’m stuck with a worthless $25 gift certificate.

terra20 Ottawa