01 May, 2007

A different kind of May Day

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Ottawa

The reality of the situation is that we’re getting fatter and more sedentary with each passing generation. This holds especially true for young people. Many are growing up in front of the computer and the TV. If this is the way someone is brought up, it is very difficult to then become the kind of adult who likes to jog, play racketball, and swim laps. We have to get off our collective duffs and start moving. We have to do it for ourselves, and for our kids.

I feel fortunate that my own kids are the kind who happily amuse themselves outdoors in an unstructured kind of way: skipping, swimming, bike riding, scootering, stilt-walking, running and jumping over the cracks in the sidewalk… these are all things my girls love to do. And I love that they love it. If they’re active at this age, they’re more likely to be active at any age.

As Miss Vicky kindly reminded me, May is Physical Activity Month in Ottawa. We Ottawans have been given a challenge, to walk for 30 minutes every day. A lot of us already do a lot of walking. I certainly do, but I’m not sure if it adds up to 30 minutes every day.

So the kids I are taking this as a personal challenge and will be doing it every day. Apparently there are some prizes to be won too. Yay for prizes!

As an added bonus someone had the wonderful idea of instituting a “try it” week at participating rec centres. You can try fitness classes for free. Yes! Really! And Dovercourt (my local rec centre) is one of them. Is that cool or what?

5 Responses to "A different kind of May Day"

1 | Anna

May 1st, 2007 at 10:13 am

Sooo, does that mean that you’re coming to the next Nordic Walking intro class at Dovercourt? ;-)

May 12th, 9:30am!

2 | DaniGirl

May 1st, 2007 at 12:22 pm

The “You on a Diet” book, that helped me reorganize my thinking enough to actually start losing weight, says simply adding 30 minutes a day of walking has innumerable health benefits – and you can even chop it into two daily installments. It’s difficult to justify NOT being able to find two 15 minute spaces in the day to go for a stroll!

3 | Tiana

May 1st, 2007 at 12:34 pm

I’m glad I read this! Yesterday I decided to walk around Sandy Hill for 30 minutes on my lunch breaks and now that I can win PRIZES…w00t! I’m signing up!

May 2nd, 2007 at 8:05 am

Anna: YES! YES!

Tiana: I’m not ashamed to admit that prizes are a motivating factor.

BTW, the girls and I did our 30 minutes yesterday. We promised ourselves that if we do it we’re rewarding ourselves with a day trip to Montreal. (!)

5 | Chantal

May 2nd, 2007 at 10:01 am

You already know I’m a bit of an ‘active frek’. I’m always the Mom yelling “Get outside and run around!”

The Lanark County Health Dept had a “Pause to Play” week last week. I loved it. :)