29 Jun, 2007

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

What is it about cucumbers that make them the ultimate summer food?

3 cups thinly sliced cucumber
3 tb rice vinegar
1 ts sugar
2 ts dark sesame oil
½ ts salt
2 tb chopped green onion
1 ½ tb chopped peanuts

Combine first five ingredients. Drizzle over sliced cukes and mix it up. Sprinkle with green onions and peanuts before serving. I like serving this salad with hamburgers. It’s a good one to bring to a potluck BBQ too.

The series continues tomorrow with Poke Coffee. :)

9 Responses to "The Fishbowl summertime eating series – Recipe #1 – Cucumber salad with rice vinegar dressing"

1 | a grrl with a blog

June 29th, 2007 at 10:44 am

Oh! Great suggestion with the peanuts.

I make a salad almost exactly like this, but with sesame seeds instead of peanuts. I’m going to try it with peanuts this weekend!

I serve it with jasmine rice and usually grilled tuna. so delish!
Thanks!

2 | Porter

June 29th, 2007 at 11:13 am

I make a salad similar to this one but like the spin on the typical ingredients and love the idea of peanuts because peanuts are one of my girls absolute fav foods. I will be making this over the weekend…and maybe some of those almonds you make..haven’t had those in a long time…yum

June 29th, 2007 at 11:35 am

Ah yes! The NUTS. I forgot about those. I will have to make a bunch ASAP.

(recipe here: http://www.quietfish.com/notebook/?p=55)

4 | liss76

June 29th, 2007 at 3:01 pm

I make a similar one, except mine has thinly sliced red onion, and roughly chopped red pepper in it.

It’s delish. :)

5 | refashionista

June 29th, 2007 at 3:16 pm

[…] prying eyes Barbeque Food Friday June 29th 2007, 4:16 pm Filed under: In The Kitchen, Recipes We’re having our annualCanada Day bash this weekend and I’m starting to plan the buffet menu already. I was all caught up in the Indian food I’m planning to make when a post by Andrea, over at (in?) the fishbowl, reminded me that I need to make some salads to round out the menu. […]

6 | nancy

June 29th, 2007 at 8:21 pm

I am SOOOO making this. Thank you!!

7 | karrie

June 30th, 2007 at 5:48 am

Yum!

Cukes are the perfect summer food.

8 | DaniGirl

July 3rd, 2007 at 10:15 am

Andrea, I’m just catching up after being away and I want to drop to my knees and kiss your feet after reading your summertime recipe suggestions. Cukes, tomatoes, pineapples – it’s like you’re reading my (fussy, pregnant) mind. I’m practically drooling, fercrissake.

Thank you. No really, sincerely, and with big, oil-and-vinegary kisses – thank you!

9 | A birthday party for a girl who’s ten >> a peek inside the fishbowl

May 16th, 2009 at 7:14 am

[…] Breakfast was pancakes with strawberries and maple syrup. Now they’re in the living room, watching Saturday morning cartoons in their pj’s. We’ll make tile necklaces before they go. I am pretty happy with how this party turned out. Me: I’m waiting for my coffee to kick in. And after the girls leave I’ll head to the grocery store to pick up the ingredients for Emma’s birthday dinner. On the menu: meatloaf, roasted potatoes, and cucumber salad. […]