10 Aug, 2007

Lantern making – with photos!

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|File under crafty

This is a very kid-friendly DIY kind of project. Seriously, anyone can do this.

Take:

– one old Mason jar or jam jar (it must be glass!)

– cover with glue

– cover with tissue paper

– let dry

– add wire handle, a stub of a candle, and you’ve got a right purty lantern of your very own!

As you can see by the photos, we’ve been busy.

Making lanterns for the Lumiere Festival

Making lanterns for the Lumiere Festival

Edited to add: the lanterns are dry, and they look fantastic! Just make sure you make a handle that is long enough. The ones pictured above are a twee bit short and will need lengthing in time for tomorrow.

Here’s a pic of the finished product!

DIY glass lanterns

We are all pretty proud of the results. Have you made one? Let me know in the comments below.

Tags: , ,

9 Responses to "Lantern making – with photos!"

1 | Marla

August 10th, 2007 at 2:03 pm

YOU ROCK – I’m going to have Josie and Frances make these at Ann’s cottage this weekend! We’re going you know…gonna visit? Any advice on where to shop to and fro?

2 | debra

August 11th, 2007 at 7:36 am

Can you post a picture with the lantern in use?
Great idea

3 | from that mental backburner at a peek inside the fishbowl

August 30th, 2008 at 8:20 am

[…] Last night we lit our homemade lanterns and went on an after dark end-of-summer walk around the neighborhood. The wind was cool and […]

4 | Thinking crafty: >> a peek inside the fishbowl

July 4th, 2009 at 11:44 am

[…] are next on our “to-make” list. I’ll probably be putting handles on ours like we did last time. Glass is hot for little hands (and big hands […]

5 | Joyelle

December 21st, 2010 at 1:44 am

This is great! I am going to try this for Solstice tomorrow : )

Thank you!

6 | Joyelle

December 24th, 2010 at 2:14 pm

We made the lanterns and they worked great! You can visit my blog to see a photo of one of them.

Thanks again!

7 | silviah

April 14th, 2011 at 4:56 pm

i am keen on making these but have a question: Does the glass get hot from the lit candle, as we have 18month olds on our lantern walk. we celebrate lantern festival in July which is winter here in Kenya, in the southern hemisphere.

8 | silviah

April 19th, 2011 at 3:12 pm

thanks re battery operated tea lights. hope i can find them here.

9 | julie

June 21st, 2011 at 3:19 pm

We are making them for a solstice campout with the girlscouts. I made the sample and it is BEAUTIFUL!
(toot-toot!) Thanks for a great craft!

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.