10 Aug, 2007

Lantern making – with photos!

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|File under crafty

This is a very kid-friendly DIY kind of project. Seriously, anyone can do this.

Take:

- one old Mason jar or jam jar (it must be glass!)

- cover with glue

- cover with tissue paper

- let dry

- add wire handle, a stub of a candle, and you’ve got a right purty lantern of your very own!

As you can see by the photos, we’ve been busy.

Making lanterns for the Lumiere Festival

Making lanterns for the Lumiere Festival

Edited to add: the lanterns are dry, and they look fantastic! Just make sure you make a handle that is long enough. The ones pictured above are a twee bit short and will need lengthing in time for tomorrow.

Here’s a pic of the finished product!

DIY glass lanterns

We are all pretty proud of the results. Have you made one? Let me know in the comments below.

Tags: , ,

Print this post Print this post

9 Responses to "Lantern making – with photos!"

1 | Marla

August 10th, 2007 at 2:03 pm

YOU ROCK – I’m going to have Josie and Frances make these at Ann’s cottage this weekend! We’re going you know…gonna visit? Any advice on where to shop to and fro?

2 | debra

August 11th, 2007 at 7:36 am

Can you post a picture with the lantern in use?
Great idea

3 | from that mental backburner at a peek inside the fishbowl

August 30th, 2008 at 8:20 am

[...] Last night we lit our homemade lanterns and went on an after dark end-of-summer walk around the neighborhood. The wind was cool and [...]

4 | Thinking crafty: >> a peek inside the fishbowl

July 4th, 2009 at 11:44 am

[...] are next on our “to-make” list. I’ll probably be putting handles on ours like we did last time. Glass is hot for little hands (and big hands [...]

5 | Joyelle

December 21st, 2010 at 1:44 am

This is great! I am going to try this for Solstice tomorrow : )

Thank you!

6 | Joyelle

December 24th, 2010 at 2:14 pm

We made the lanterns and they worked great! You can visit my blog to see a photo of one of them.

Thanks again!

7 | silviah

April 14th, 2011 at 4:56 pm

i am keen on making these but have a question: Does the glass get hot from the lit candle, as we have 18month olds on our lantern walk. we celebrate lantern festival in July which is winter here in Kenya, in the southern hemisphere.

8 | silviah

April 19th, 2011 at 3:12 pm

thanks re battery operated tea lights. hope i can find them here.

9 | julie

June 21st, 2011 at 3:19 pm

We are making them for a solstice campout with the girlscouts. I made the sample and it is BEAUTIFUL!
(toot-toot!) Thanks for a great craft!

NAC Ottawa events

Christmas ideas from Saunders Farm!

Frogs - a Chorus of Colours - at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Funhaven - Ottawa's destination for birthday parties and fun

terra20 Ottawa celebrates Earth Month

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

IMAX 3D - Journey to the South Pacific

bucketlist

etc.

• andrea tomkins: I don't this has ever happened before... but the winner according to random.org is commenter #87 - Nicola - the VERY last person to enter. :) Congr
  • andrea tomkins: Comments are officially closed to new entries! Stay tuned for the winner!
  • Nicola: For my second entry: I'd love some extra metal lunch containers, as I'm trying to phase out the plastics wherever possible...
  • Nicola: I turn the furnace down a lot when we are out and at night, and have been explaining the "lights off as you leave the room" thing to my son. I am als
  • Barb Sohn: We have a rain barrel in the front yard, two composters in the back yard. Our gargage is down to one small bag every week. We buy shampoos, cleaners
  • Deb: I coordinate the recycling program at my school with a team of students including black box, blue box and compost. We are having litterless lunches fo
  • Life of K: I LOVE the whole family of Boston Warehouse items like this cheese grater: http://shop.terra20.com/store/product/11035/BostonW-Cheese-Grater-Nutcrker/

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (14) and Sarah (12). I am the Editor of the Kitchissippi Times as well as Capital Parent Newspaper. I'm also a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999 (which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which). The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 655 and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's my latest:
Created with flickr badge.
Click the photo for details: what it is, where I ate it (if it's worth a mention!), and how to cook it (if there happens to be a recipe). You can also read more about this project right here.

Sideblog

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too:

Follow the Fishbowl’s companion page on Facebook

Let's stick a pin in that

Miz Mooz Women's Car