25 Sep, 2007

When it’s time to wake up

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|parenting

So I’m walking to the gym this morning, and who do I see sitting on the park bench? Silken Laumann.

Emma has no trouble getting out of bed. She practically leaps out from under the covers. She’s inherited this from her grandfather. I know it.

Sarah is a whole different case. She is not so easily woken and tends to be grouch when it’s time to get up.  Last year I’d stick my head in her room and ask her to wake up, and if that didn’t work (did it ever work?) I’d resort to nudging, then shaking an arm, then two, then a leg, and then, as a very last resort, I’d yank the covers off.

She didn’t like that very much.

I have developed a whole new tactic. And it works every time. Parents, take note!

First, I climb into bed with her and get under the covers. Then I purr. Then I meow quietly. And then I rub my face against hers, meow some more, and pretend to wash her face with noisy slurping sounds. She wakes up laughing and meowing, pretending to be a baby kitten. For some reason it really cracks her up if I put my face directly in front of hers – nose to nose – and say “meow” with a total deadpan expression.

Not only is she awake by this point, but she’s smiling and HAPPY! Now if only I could find a way for her to get dressed a little faster.

8 Responses to "When it’s time to wake up"

1 | grrl with a blog

September 25th, 2007 at 9:32 am

I’m out at the Brookstreet hotel for meetings this week, and I ran into her at the reception desk. She seemed to be trying to get people to recognize her…it was quite funny!!

2 | The Veggie Vixen

September 25th, 2007 at 9:43 am

That’s a great idea about getting in bed with her. The Pea used to be a morning person but in the last year or so she’s a real grouch. I’ll try anything to put a smile on her face.

3 | Yaris

September 25th, 2007 at 10:27 am

Deti v Kanade maji nadherny zivot a mnoho bajecnych vyhod!
Ja jsem / jako mnoho jinych deti/ dostala klic na krk v 6ti letech! Sama jsem musela vstat, umyt se, ucesat se, obleknout se, nasnidat se – zamknout apartment a byt vcas ve skole. Hodiny jsem neumela a tak jsem pokukovala nadruhou stranu ulice pres park zda uz deti chodi do skoly. Obed jsem mela ve skolni kuchyni. Vyber v jidle zadny. Jedli jsme co nam tam dali. /Rodice za obedy platili./ Po skole jsem sla domu, nebo si hrala pred domem a cekala /jako druhe deti/ az se rodice vrati z prace. Za komunismu se tvrde dbalo nato aby byly vsechny matky zamestnane ! -:)) Byla to hrozna doba vykloubena z kloubu!!

4 | mamatulip

September 25th, 2007 at 12:25 pm

I love this idea — it’s so cute! I’ll have to try it one day.

And hey — I freakin’ LOVE Silken Laumann! She’s like, my rowing idol…I used to have this wicked poster of her all sweaty, leaning back in her shell with her oars resting just at her rib cage…my friend had gotten it autographed for me. I wonder whatever happened to that poster…

5 | Roz

September 25th, 2007 at 1:07 pm

Wow, that is so nice of you to wake her up gently.

My Dad used to flick on the light and sing a ridiculous song “it’s time to get up, it’s time to get up, it’s time to get up in the MOOOOOOOOORning!”

OW! talk about hurting my eyes and my head frist thing in the morning – not good.

6 | zhenia

September 25th, 2007 at 3:48 pm

My dad did exactly what Roz’s dad to get us up in the morning. Now that I’m the morning person in the house, I sometimes find myself falling into the same song about getting up. That song, by the way, did not endear me to wife at all.

So now, I just stand by the side of the bed with a steaming mug of coffee. It’s hard to dislike someone with a hot beverage.

7 | Jen_nifer

September 25th, 2007 at 11:52 pm

My son isn’t quite two years old yet. But he always wakes up in a better mood if he wakes up in bed next to Mom or Dad. He can be quite silly those mornings.

I used to be terrible in the mornings. When I was a teenager my mother had her 4th child (17 years my junior). The most efficient way for my mother to wake me up then was to plop my baby sister on my chest and walk away. It worked every time.

8 | patterns and renewed resolutions at a peek inside the fishbowl

September 9th, 2008 at 7:54 am

[…] had my three pages, went upstairs to wake Sarah, and then came back down to pack […]

• Jinjer: I read your blog but do so via Feedly so that's why you don't see me as a subscriber and I'm usually in a hurry so I don't comment often, but I do rea
  • andrea tomkins: I am just overwhelmed by the idea of doing a blog export. Most posts I want to keep, but some I don't (eg some contests and giveaways of days gone by)
  • Lynn: So lovely! I have been thinking of doing a post like this - what is life like on a daily basis these days? Where is everyone, and how are they doing?
  • andrea tomkins: Good points!
  • andrea tomkins: We don't, actually! You might be surprised to hear this but the birds are pretty good at landing on the thing without hitting the window. Overall we h
  • Birdie: Wondering if you have the necessary bird strike deterrent on your windows? Especially the one with the feeder as pictured? Without the deterrents I im
  • Feathers: Smart to invest in good quality feeders. I have paid top dollar for mine but cheaped out on a low-cost $25 squirrel-proof beauty that does not work.