11 Oct, 2007

Research: in the name of breakfast!

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

Or should it be Breakfast: in the name of research ?

Clearly the coffee has not kicked in yet. Urf. Allow me to get to the point:

Are you a breakfast person, like me, who considers herself a connoisseur of Good Breakfasts and finds herself craving breakfast at various points during the day?

I’m not talkin’ ’bout oatmeal or Special K here. I’m talking the whole hog (no pun intended), real heartstopping breakfasts that feed your body and soul, keep you energized the whole day and may or may not shorten your lifespan by a couple of years, depending on whether you go for egg white omelets or sausage and waffles.

Tell us, if you’re in the Ottawa area … when you go out for breakfast, where do you go? I have my personal faves, but I’m working on an article and want to know where you get your breakfast fix.

(thanks!)

19 Responses to "Research: in the name of breakfast!"

1 | Cath

October 11th, 2007 at 9:36 am

BLTs at the Elgin Street diner got me through my pregnancy. Now that B’s 13 months, we like the Arrow and the Loon — watching that fountain in fifth avenue court gives mummy and daddy time for that last half cup of coffee …

2 | Jennie

October 11th, 2007 at 10:38 am

Ikea – For $2 (I pretty sure that’s how much, it could be cheaper) you get: two eggs, bacon, sausage, croissant, crepe (sp?) and home fries. Not bad for $2.

Father & Sons (King Edward St. & Ottawa U) – This is a university hang out at all hours of the day. Breakfast special is between $5-$6. You get eggs (done how you like it), choice of meat, homefries (love them), toast and coffee. Staff is also very quick and knowledgable.

Zak’s Dinner (Byward Market) – When I want a good HEALTHY breakfast, I like to go here. Why? Because they have a fruit float with nuts on top. (Think Banana Split, minus everything that’s bad for you, replace with fruit and topped with nuts). I love it. A little pricey, but worth every penny.

Hope this helps.

– J.

3 | DaniGirl

October 11th, 2007 at 11:50 am

Oo oo oo – let’s do a weekend family breakfast to help your research, okay?

I’m still a fan of the various locations of the Broadway, and we used to go to the Lieutenant’s Pump religiously for breakfast. Just went to the Barley Mow on Bank for the first time recently and it was delish, too. The special was a feta and tomato omelette and the home fries were divine.

4 | Roz

October 11th, 2007 at 12:12 pm

This isn’t very original, but my FAV-orite breakfast is at Eggspectations. The Yolk Around the Clock is THEE best.

I also enjoy the Smoked Salmon Bennie at The Corner Bar and Grill on Bank in the Glebe (not to be confused with Cornerstone in the market) except their coffee is horrible – bring your own (many do).

5 | Chantal

October 11th, 2007 at 12:26 pm

We are a Broadway family, although it may be a proximity thing. There is one in a local strip mall near my house. Other than that I make my own killer fried potatoes and we often have “breakfast for dinner” to satisfy our craving for all things breakfasty

6 | Andrea

October 11th, 2007 at 1:28 pm

Honorable mentions – the Sunset Diner in the south end (Bank @ Walkley, near the Value Villiage). Really small, family owned, great atmosphere. I’ve been going there for years, and it’s always the same sweet lady working… she guesses my order right every time!

Also, Hamie’s diner in New Edinborough (Beechwood @ Vanier Parkway). Good prices, great sausage; even an Atkins breakfast for the carb-phobic!

7 | porter

October 11th, 2007 at 6:48 pm

Ohhhh I remember Father and Sons, I ate there often when I lived in Ottawa. It used to cost $2.25 for breakfast which included two eggs, bacon or sausage, homemade hashbrowns, and coffee. It was (and likely still is) family owned and run…and they made great rice pudding.

October 11th, 2007 at 7:36 pm

Great suggestions so far, thank you!

re: rice pudding
I never had it when I was growing up so it’s rather foreign to me. Is this a traditional Canadian dessert, something everyone eats when they’re a kid? And does everyone like it? I made it for the first time yesterday. Emma and Sarah dug in eagerly, and after two spoonfuls declared they didn’t like it. Maybe it’s a texture thing? (Me: I’m not a pudding person. Period.)

9 | Jen_nifer

October 11th, 2007 at 8:06 pm

Rice pudding always reminded me of that video we watched of the Inuit in school where it was a treat to eat the fish eyes. I like pudding, but I don’t go anywhere near rice pudding.

Have you read the Breakfast Blogger http://breakfastblogger.com/ ? One or two of the bloggers are from Ottawa..

10 | Jono Cono

October 11th, 2007 at 9:30 pm

It’s funny to mention this….all my life I have greatly disliked pudding, can’t stand it, never want it, don’t even enjoy watching people eat it. Rice pudding is the one and only exception. I love rice pudding and will eat it anytime. It may have something to do with rice being one of my favourite foods! The type of rice pudding that I enjoy most is Chinese style rice pudding. To answer your question about rice pudding being a traditional Canadian dessert I would have to say it’s not traditional but the styles of home made rice pudding probably descended from Europe originally.

Oh, favourite place for me to eat breakfast is Chu Shing or Yang Tze for Dim Sum, that or Pho as early as I can get it. I prefer Asian food for breakfast!

11 | David

October 12th, 2007 at 8:17 am

The Diner
John’s Quick Lunch

both popular and in the ‘hood.
But our ritual on Saturdays is to make waffles at home and put berries, yogurt, peanut butter and banana, etc. on them

October 12th, 2007 at 9:06 am

Jen_nifer: TAPIOCA. That’s why I don’t eat TAPIOCA pudding. (But bubble tea… that’s okay.)

13 | laurie

October 12th, 2007 at 12:06 pm

John’s Quick Lunch – hands down. Great value, lovely wait staff and YUMMY!

14 | Miss Vicky

October 12th, 2007 at 1:47 pm

I wasn’t impressed with the Diner.

Cozy’s is my local breakfast of choice. Their waffles come covered in fresh fruit and their blueberry pancakes are fluffy and HUGE! The traditional egg-and-bacon breakfast combos are good too. It’s cheap and I’ve never been disappointed. Also very family friendly.

If I want a really yummy, special breakfast I recommend the brunches at Stoneface Dolly’s and the Manx. Hard to get in but soooooooo worth it!

Have you visited the Breakfast Blogger for ideas? Their Ottawa correspondent has been reviewing our city’s breakfast fare for a couple of years now. Lots of ideas to be had.

15 | Kristina

October 12th, 2007 at 10:57 pm

Oh, breakfast. How wonderful you are when done up real good. Mmmhmmm.
(Grammar must go out the window sometimes after all…)
I get together with some girlfriends for a special breakfast together once a month. No boys! :) It truly feeds the soul. While we do have a couple of favourite places, that’s not always the most important element.

16 | Jen_nifer

October 14th, 2007 at 6:32 am

Thanks for the correction. Tapioca. I guess I’ll have to Google rice pudding to find out what that is like.

17 | Tiana

October 14th, 2007 at 1:28 pm

Maxwell’s on Elgin!

18 | Michelle

October 14th, 2007 at 7:55 pm

I have to vote for Mello’s (Nepean and the Market) as well as the Wellington Bagel Shop. Where else in Ottawa can you have Sunday bfast with a really loud and boisterous “big” band? (polka band?) I have no idea what category they are but they’re fun and you can’t miss it if you’re in the area. :)

19 | Rin

October 21st, 2007 at 11:58 am

The best place for Sunday brunch is Al ‘s Diner!!

I can’t remember the street its on but I know its off Carling, where the hugh Canadian Tire is being built.

It is your typical greasy spoon, grest serive, cheap and yummy eggs and bacon. I grew up going there after church and whenever I am back in Ottawa I always have to have breakfest their!

• K. Taggart: Yes! My family and I all get the flu shot every year. Why? Because we don't want the flu. We also don't want people we hang out with to get the flu. T
  • Computer Software: First of all I would like to say awesome blog! I had a quick question in which I'd like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to find out how you
  • Claudette: The Globe article on the meal kit...it's interesting that no where does it mention that the convenience often, for many families, is directly related
  • Amy: I always make the bed, partly because my mom was a stickler for it growing up and partly because I make it easy to do. I have to have the sheets tuck
  • Donna: Thanks for this!! I am going to start this morning. One day at a time right.
  • Natalie Robichaud: I always make my bed. It's a small to do checked off the list and I like getting into a bed that's made at night. What SAD light do you use?
  • Jacquelyn: I've recently started vacuuming the kitchen and dining room floors every day. Previously, I would go weeks (!) between vacuumings. This was prompted

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.