06 Dec, 2007

the boot shopping report

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

I tried on eleventy million pairs of boots this morning, fueled by nothing but keen desire, one oat bar, and two lattes.

And guess what I found out? I have a freakish foot:calf ratio. My feet are large and my calves are lovely and slender.

I was composing this post in my head as I shopped. At one point I was in the Winners at Bayshore (the second Winners I’d been to) and I was already sketching out the whole scenario as it was playing out:

“I rounded the corner and saw there was a huge clearance section, [this part was true] I scanned the piles of shoes, there was one pair of boots [this part was true], and they were size ten! [this part was true] I tried them one and they were perfect! [this part was less true] And then I checked the price tag, and realized they were the $300.00 boots Marla had pointed out, but they were marked down to $49.99!! [total and complete fiction]”

Alas, it was not meant to be.

The perfect boot is perfectly elusive:

– tall & dressy
– slim/sleek (fitted around the calf)
– slim heel
– not too shiny
– no extra straps/jewels/chains attached
– no slouch effect
– not pointy, I need a more rounded or even squared off toe otherwise I look like a jester
– midsize heel
– black
– comfortable

Perhaps I’m asking too much. I give up. I’m wearing the shoes in the original post. They’re the ones I like best. Sans hose.

13 Responses to "the boot shopping report"

1 | Natalie

December 6th, 2007 at 1:57 pm

Andrea,

I’ve been following your boot\shoe saga.
Have you been online to look at payless or Aldo?
I really don’t think you should give up just yet.
Chin up young person!

December 6th, 2007 at 2:04 pm

Thanks for your words of encouragement Natalie… I went to every shoe store at Bayshore: including Payless, Aldo as well as the Bay and Winners.

I am all booted out at the moment. Bah humboot.

3 | grrl with a blog

December 6th, 2007 at 3:40 pm

I totally know how you feel. I went through it 2 weeks ago. After an exhaustive search I did find a pair that I love.

My friend got a beautiful black pair of aerosoles last week. They are exactly as you described.

I can find out the style name if you like. I think she paid 89.00

4 | Marla

December 6th, 2007 at 7:23 pm

I still have hope.

5 | Miss Vicky

December 6th, 2007 at 8:03 pm

If there is anything that 2 years of the same seasonal discussion has demonstrated, it’s that you NEED a pair of boots. Even if you don’t find them in time for this event, you need to keep looking. Your wardrobe… and future holiday parties … demand it.

FWIW, I have similar calf-to-ankle-to-foot ratio issues. Except mine are opposite…. muscular calves that stop many of the funkiest boots in their tracks. It is way frustrating. But I am confident there is a pair of boots out there for everyone.

6 | porter

December 6th, 2007 at 10:18 pm

ohhhh you poor woman! good for you for trying (or maybe not so good huh?). you will look splendid in whatever you wear you gorgeous woman you.

7 | BeachMama

December 7th, 2007 at 8:39 am

yay, those were the best ones anyway, in my opinion :)

December 7th, 2007 at 9:51 am

In an unexpected twist of fate, a suitable (not to mention comfortable ) pair of high-heeled boots revealed themselves to our intrepid shopper late yesterday afternoon.

“It was the least likely of places,” said Andrea. “I was so surprised. I mean, I really didn’t expect to find nice boots at Carlingwood. It wasn’t my first choice of destination.

According to Andrea, Carlingwood (sometimes referred to as “the mall that fashion forgot”) was a last ditch effort because she didn’t want to go downtown.

She was mentally prepared to wear open-toed strappy shoes that may have left her feeling chilled the entire evening.

The boots are made by Franco Sarto, and were puchased at a store called Soft Moc, marked down to $109.00.

Andrea was additionally pleased that her children were well behaved while she tried on the boots and spent time talking to the sales girl.

Will she wear them to the office party?

“I’m not sure,” she says, looking at the boots. “I mean I like the dress, and I like the boots. I’m not sure if they go together.”

The saga continues.

9 | Mark

December 7th, 2007 at 10:51 am

…let’s see … get everyone to vote on 5 pairs of shoes…get friends to tell you to go shopping and buy more shoes (or in this case boots). Buy the boots ….and then decide to go back to your original shoe choice…because the boots don’t go with the dress. You know if the party wasn’t tomorrow, I’d recommend you go out and buy a new dress to match the new boots.

10 | Miss Vicky

December 7th, 2007 at 11:04 am

Let’s see a pic!

11 | Marla

December 7th, 2007 at 3:36 pm

Boots plus dress. I don’t even need to see them together. Chilly feet are NOT FUN. And if the boots are comfortable? Pshaw. Decision made for you. Those boots were sent to you. But yes, a picture please?

12 | Frank

December 8th, 2007 at 7:03 am

Your Feet’s Too Big
(Benson, Fisher)
Transcribed from Fats Waller and His Rhythm, vocals by Fats Waller; recorded 11/3/39;
From An Introduction to Fats Waller: His Best Recordings 1928 – 1942; Best of Jazz, 4006.

[Spoken]
Who’s that walkin’ ’round here?
Mercy!
Sounds like baby patter!
Baby elephant patter, that’s what I calls it!

Say, up in Harlem,
At a table for two,
There were four of us,
Me, your big feet and you!
From your ankles up, I say you sure are sweet,
From there down, there’s just too much feet!
Yas!

Your feet’s too big!
Don’t want ya ’cause your feet’s too big!
Can’t use ya ’cause your feet’s too big!
I really hate ya ’cause your feet’s too big!
Yeah!

Da-dee-do-dah, wan-ga-der!
Where’d you get ’em?
Nyah-da-dum!
Your girl, she likes you, she thinks you’re nice,
Got what it takes to be in paradise;
She says she likes your face, she likes your rig,
But, man, oh, man, them things are too big!

Oh, your feet’s too big!
Don’t want ya ’cause your feet’s too big!
Mad at you ’cause your feet’s too big!
I hate you ’cause your feet’s too big!

[Spoken]
My goodness, those are gunboats!
Shift! Shift! Shift!

Oh, your pedal extremities are colossal!
To me you look just like a fossil!
You got me walkin’, talkin’ and squawkin’,
‘Cause your feet’s too big, yeah!

[Spoken]
Come on and walk that thing!
Oh, I never heard of such walkin’! Mercy!
Your… your pedal extremities really are obnoxious.
One never knows, do one?

December 8th, 2007 at 5:17 pm

Heh. Thanks Frank. :)
Watch out for my gunboats yo!

• K. Taggart: Yes! My family and I all get the flu shot every year. Why? Because we don't want the flu. We also don't want people we hang out with to get the flu. T
  • Computer Software: First of all I would like to say awesome blog! I had a quick question in which I'd like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to find out how you
  • Claudette: The Globe article on the meal kit...it's interesting that no where does it mention that the convenience often, for many families, is directly related
  • Amy: I always make the bed, partly because my mom was a stickler for it growing up and partly because I make it easy to do. I have to have the sheets tuck
  • Donna: Thanks for this!! I am going to start this morning. One day at a time right.
  • Natalie Robichaud: I always make my bed. It's a small to do checked off the list and I like getting into a bed that's made at night. What SAD light do you use?
  • Jacquelyn: I've recently started vacuuming the kitchen and dining room floors every day. Previously, I would go weeks (!) between vacuumings. This was prompted

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.