29 Mar, 2008

Good news, and Earth Hour plans

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

My dermatologist called and left a message saying I was “fine,” which I am choosing to interpret as “cancer-free.” I will call and get the full scoop, but I was very happy to receive this news. That also means that my GP made a hole in my forehead for nothing. Well, maybe not for nothing, but the thing is rather unsightly.

To prevent scarring I’m going to have to cover my scar from the sun for the next few months. So I guess that hat I bought the other day is going to come in handy. (Check it out here).

Yay!

re: Earth Hour.

There has been a lot of negativity out there about Earth Hour. Yes, it’s kind of silly. Yes, there are other things we could probably be doing AND it might not change diehard habits, but let’s face it, this event is generating more attention than Al Gore. So isn’t that a good thing?

The four of us have totally planned out our Earth Hour.

1) We’re dimming the lights early. In fact, there will be no lights tonight. Period.

2) We’re eating a dinner that doesn’t require any additional electrical prep: nothing nuked, boiled or baked.

3) I’m digging out the candles and we’ll spend the evening playing Bananagrams and drinking wine. No wine for the kids.

4) Mark is flipping the switch and we’re going totally powerless for that one hour. That means even the fridge will be off.

What are you guys doing? In case you’re reading this after the fact, what did you do?

8 Responses to "Good news, and Earth Hour plans"

1 | a grrl with a blog

March 29th, 2008 at 3:19 pm

we are planning to go dark this evening, and we have decided to do so every Saturday for a candlelight chess match (huzband’s fav pastime that we never have time for).

I don’t get the criticism. I have heard people say that it won’t make an impact, but you know what, if people could try to make it a habit, wouldn’t that have some impact?

Personally, I think any baby step we can make can have a lasting impact.

2 | a grrl with a blog

March 29th, 2008 at 3:20 pm

btw: I’m very happy that you got good news from the doctor! Thank goodness!

3 | Nicol

March 29th, 2008 at 5:21 pm

Okay, I must admit that the first time that I heard about this was this morning when I went to check my email. My homepage is set to google and it was black. It caught me off guard and then had a small thing on Earth Hour.

I personally think that it is a great idea. I don’t know what we will do yet, but it is important to me that I do something. I will at least turn off all of the lights. Maybe some card games with Dh since my baby will already be in bed.

4 | mel

March 29th, 2008 at 5:59 pm

#1: Yay! You’re fine!

#2: Yay! Cute hat!

#3: Yay for Earth Hour! (We’re about to power down here.)

5 | Marla

March 29th, 2008 at 6:37 pm

Glad about the cancer. Vitamin E oil is helping my scar go away faster.

6 | words words

March 29th, 2008 at 6:38 pm

Hurray for your news! That’s fantastic.

As for the hole in your head, you need that like you need another… oh wait.

7 | Frank

March 29th, 2008 at 9:59 pm

My new car disproved this ‘global warming’ scam. The weather fools cannot even predict the weather a week in advance, so I can plan a car wash. Yet we are expected to believe they can predict something a hundred years in the future?

Wasn’t it those same fools worried abiut Gobal Cooling ten years ago?

8 | Scattered Mom

March 30th, 2008 at 12:47 am

Yayyy!!!!! I’m so happy everything is okay. :)

• andrea tomkins: Nope. The jar is on our window sill! It's getting the same dark/light cycle they'd have if they were on the outdoor side of the window. :)
  • Jennifer: That is really cool. I was wondering if you kept it outdoors? There is research on hatching monarchs indoors that it compromises them. They need the
  • Ted Benkhe: Jim Burns made a great point re visitation. I,m sure that the peace park will present very well after the volunteers who maintain it have worked th
  • andrea tomkins: I'm glad you find it restful Bonnie! I didn't on that day. :)
  • Bonnie Upton: I have a true love of this place. I drive to and from Ottawa from the NewmArket area to visit my sister snd now my son who attended uOttawa and has c
  • Amy: That sounds fantastic! As with most travelling, parts are much more comfortable when you're telling them afterwards, but they make a good story.
  • andrea tomkins: If I had to pick, Grundy wins! :)