15 Mar, 2008

The big news is this…

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

… Sarah got glasses. MY BABY GOT GLASSES. GLASSES!

I promised not to tell anyone until she actually got the glasses. We’ve done that, so we’re clear.

Here she is, with the pink wire frames she chose herself:

The new Sarah

She looks beautiful, don’t you think?

Emma and Sarah both had an appointment with the eye doctor last week. Emma passed her vision test with flying colours. Sarah did not. We could tell something was wrong, because the doctor repeatedly made her try to read certain letters – at different sizes – over and over again. And she couldn’t. Watching her struggle … oh, how my heart hurt.

I have to be honest and say that this whole thing has been a little hard for me. I’m sure I’m offending reams of parents-of-eyeglass-wearing-children, but you know what? I’ve had difficulty adjusting to how different little Sarah’s sweet little face is going be. Like, FOREVER. Would a different little person be looking back at me? Would hugging and cuddling still be the same? And this is going to sound totally stupid, but at first I couldn’t get over the fact that MY PERFECT BABY HAS EYEBALLS THAT ARE SHAPED LIKE FOOTBALLS. She has astigmatism, to be exact, which means she has had blurred vision for who knows how long. But – on the bright side – it’s not like she’s the kind of person who’ll be fumbling for her glasses when she opens her eyes first thing every morning. She’s been told that she has to wear the glasses all the time, but is allowed to take them off when swimming or playing contact sports. She can still see without them.

She’s happy, dare I say excited. But how long will this last? Will she get tired of wearing them? I’ve put on a brave face and have done my best to be supportive and excited for her. I’m just glad she can see better now. Dad wears glasses too, so at least he can relate to what she’s going through.

Oh, my baby girl has so many lovely faces. Surely, this won’t change it that much…

DSC_6980.JPG

DSC_6983.JPG

DSC_6985.JPG

21 Responses to "The big news is this…"

1 | Psychgrad

March 15th, 2008 at 4:04 am

I had similar concerns when my husband went for laser surgery to fix his astigmatism. The man I knew wore glasses. I was not a big fan of the surgery for that reason (plus, there are risks involved). But, it really didn’t take long to get used to seeing him without glasses and now I find myself taking a double-take when I see pictures of him with glasses.

I started wearing glasses in grade 5. At the time, it was somewhat optional and was told that if I chose to start wearing glasses, I wouldn’t be able to go back to not wearing them. I’ve never regretted making the choice and I like identifying as being someone who wears glasses.

2 | porter

March 15th, 2008 at 7:27 am

Sarah chose her frames well, she looks as cute as ever in them.

4 | Shan

March 15th, 2008 at 11:23 am

She picked great frames. She looks so cute in them.

5 | scatteredmom

March 15th, 2008 at 11:57 am

She’s a cutie, with glasses or without.

And you know Andrea, when she’s older there’s always contacts. :)

(I’m a glasses wearing Mama with a glasses wearing kid)

6 | mel

March 15th, 2008 at 2:57 pm

What great frames for her face!

7 | nancy

March 15th, 2008 at 3:12 pm

Her frames suit her beautiful face most prefectly. She looks amazing.

FWIW I started wearing glasses when I was 11, then I started weraing contact lenses when I was 13, I still wear both, 28 years later. Maybe she will too one day?

No matter, cause for now, she will be so happy to see clearly, and look darn cute while doing so!

8 | Melissa

March 15th, 2008 at 3:30 pm

She looks great! I have similar frames myself but in purple :) I also have astigmatism and they make toric lenses for astigmatism when/if she wants to wear contacts down the road. They are weighted slightly so they are always rotated the right way to fit properly. I think it means you just can’t get disposable contacts, but that may have changed as I’ve not worn contacts for several years now.

9 | mamatulip

March 15th, 2008 at 4:54 pm

My daughter got glasses last year and I felt much the same way you did — it took me quite some time to get used to them and I really struggled with her needing them in the first place.

Sarah looks fabulous with her new specs!

10 | furiousball

March 16th, 2008 at 9:58 am

those glasses really do look great on her.

11 | BeachMama

March 16th, 2008 at 12:37 pm

I love them! I saw the photos on flickr last night. She looks fabulous. And I know how you feel. I had to get glasses in University to read and I struggled. Now I have lots of different frames to change it up a bit. Maybe Sarah can get a few extra (not expensive) ones for different events.

12 | Michelle

March 16th, 2008 at 4:43 pm

Sarah looks wonderful in her glasses…

13 | megan

March 16th, 2008 at 7:13 pm

I ALWAYS wanted glasses when I was little (and secretly still do). I think she looks beautiful! So do Evelyn and Audrey!

14 | Chantal

March 17th, 2008 at 9:12 am

She looks beautiful.

15 | J.

March 17th, 2008 at 2:18 pm

very cute. They suit her. 8)

16 | Lindsay

March 18th, 2008 at 8:01 am

She looks very cute in her new glasses – I remember when I got glasses for the first time when I was about her age and I was amazed at things like being able to see the individual leaves on trees, and car headlights were little pinpoints of light instead of giant blurry blobs of light. I’m sure Sarah will enjoy being able to see better!

17 | Freakazojd

March 18th, 2008 at 9:53 pm

Oh, she looks adorable – as others have said, she chose well: those are perfect for her! I have astigmatism too, and started wearing glasses at 25. I was very excited to have a new accessory and my husband (then boyfriend) thought I was absolutely insane – he’d been a glasses kid and had hated wearing them. Sounds like Sarah’s pretty excited, which is great!

18 | Morrigan

March 20th, 2008 at 11:18 am

I think Sarah looks beautiful.

I remember getting my first pair of glasses at 13 and being amazed by how much of the world I had been missing (being able to distinquish individual branches on a tree during winter was wonderful). I still love wearing glasses and tend to purchase pairs that scream “look at me, I’m wearing glasses!” I hope Sarah enjoys them as much as I do.

19 | Sharon

March 20th, 2008 at 3:07 pm

What a cutie…she could wear a paper sack and still be beautiful.

My darling 17 yr old wears glasses and Contacts. She has been wearing glasses since grade 6. She has s lsight astigmatism too, but they have contact that can fix that too.

20 | Guess who got new glasses? >> a peek inside the fishbowl

July 27th, 2010 at 7:38 am

[…] remember when she first got them. I was weepy about her pretty face being covered by glasses (I am so over that) and also freaked […]

21 | The evolution of eyewear >> a peek inside the fishbowl

October 26th, 2011 at 5:05 am

[…] I’ve written about it before, but it needs to be said… a yearly eye exam is covered by OHIP for people under 20. If you haven’t had your children’s eyes checked, do it! I was sorry we waited so long. (Here’s the post from when Sarah first got glasses.) […]

• measured survey: If you are going for finest contnts like me, just go to see this web site everyday since it gives feature contents, thanks
  • Bridget: LOVED this post & so glad you enjoyed the dress! (-:
  • judi: can i use instant yeast
  • jjudge437@comcast.net: can i use instant yeast
  • andrea tomkins: Hi Judy! The oven should be at 450 and you don't cook the dough before the toppings. You put the rolled dough on your pizza stone or baking sheet, add
  • Judy: What temperature for oven for pizza dough, can I cook dough before the toppings
  • Judy: What temperature for oven for pizza dough. Should I cook dough before adding toppings or not

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999. The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.