23 May, 2008

Discovery!

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

Take:

– one cup unsweetened frozen berry mix
– splash of one percent milk
– sprinkling of ground flax seed
– 2/3 cup water
– handful of fresh baby spinach

… and blenderize.

Normally I’d add Activia-brand yogurt, but I didn’t today.

But guess what, you will not taste the spinach. At all. (!)

(Bwa ha ha! I have a plan. A wicked wicked plan.)

6 Responses to "Discovery!"

1 | words words

May 23rd, 2008 at 10:08 am

but can you SEE the spinach?

That would kill it for our kids.

May 23rd, 2008 at 10:10 am

ww: You can’t see it smell it taste it.

I am still amazed.

3 | Chantal

May 23rd, 2008 at 11:58 am

HMM I will have to give it a whirl (litterally!)

4 | Lee

May 23rd, 2008 at 1:33 pm

We do something similar. (Usually replace the milk and the water with some sort of unsweetened fruit juice.)

It comes out nice and green which is often a huge selling point for pre-school boys!

May 23rd, 2008 at 3:17 pm

My experiment worked! I made another batch and fed it to the kinder. I added a bit of Activia pear yogurt in this time, and guess what, they totally ate it. Yah!

May 25th, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Or, a more precise recipe. I tried this one again with the girls and it worked. The spinach went totally undetected.

1 cup mixed unsweetened frozen berries
1.5 cups fresh baby spinach
1/4 cup one percent milk
1/4 cup Activia brand pear yogurt
1 tbsp ground flax seeds

Combine and blend. Woo hoo!

• andrea tomkins: Nope. The jar is on our window sill! It's getting the same dark/light cycle they'd have if they were on the outdoor side of the window. :)
  • Jennifer: That is really cool. I was wondering if you kept it outdoors? There is research on hatching monarchs indoors that it compromises them. They need the
  • Ted Benkhe: Jim Burns made a great point re visitation. I,m sure that the peace park will present very well after the volunteers who maintain it have worked th
  • andrea tomkins: I'm glad you find it restful Bonnie! I didn't on that day. :)
  • Bonnie Upton: I have a true love of this place. I drive to and from Ottawa from the NewmArket area to visit my sister snd now my son who attended uOttawa and has c
  • Amy: That sounds fantastic! As with most travelling, parts are much more comfortable when you're telling them afterwards, but they make a good story.
  • andrea tomkins: If I had to pick, Grundy wins! :)