23 May, 2008

Discovery!

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

Take:

– one cup unsweetened frozen berry mix
– splash of one percent milk
– sprinkling of ground flax seed
– 2/3 cup water
– handful of fresh baby spinach

… and blenderize.

Normally I’d add Activia-brand yogurt, but I didn’t today.

But guess what, you will not taste the spinach. At all. (!)

(Bwa ha ha! I have a plan. A wicked wicked plan.)

6 Responses to "Discovery!"

1 | words words

May 23rd, 2008 at 10:08 am

but can you SEE the spinach?

That would kill it for our kids.

May 23rd, 2008 at 10:10 am

ww: You can’t see it smell it taste it.

I am still amazed.

3 | Chantal

May 23rd, 2008 at 11:58 am

HMM I will have to give it a whirl (litterally!)

4 | Lee

May 23rd, 2008 at 1:33 pm

We do something similar. (Usually replace the milk and the water with some sort of unsweetened fruit juice.)

It comes out nice and green which is often a huge selling point for pre-school boys!

May 23rd, 2008 at 3:17 pm

My experiment worked! I made another batch and fed it to the kinder. I added a bit of Activia pear yogurt in this time, and guess what, they totally ate it. Yah!

May 25th, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Or, a more precise recipe. I tried this one again with the girls and it worked. The spinach went totally undetected.

1 cup mixed unsweetened frozen berries
1.5 cups fresh baby spinach
1/4 cup one percent milk
1/4 cup Activia brand pear yogurt
1 tbsp ground flax seeds

Combine and blend. Woo hoo!

• Jinjer: I love that dog figurine so much!!!!
  • Dani: It's morrel season. Woot! https://photos.app.goo.gl/bE76iBETEpkDGU7w5
  • andrea tomkins: I will definitely check that out Tiana!
  • Yana: There is one near the train in Carleton Uni
  • Tiana: Oh there's a great book, if you haven't read it already - Gathering Moss by Robin Wall-Kimmerer.
  • Quail: Mushrooming is a fantastic hobby. Take a course in late September. These fun fall outings are usually very productive and often led by keen experts.
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive More about mushrooms - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] week I shared a quick recipe for mushrooms on toast. I deeply regret not running out and shoring up my mushroom supplies because I have a se

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999. The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.