01 May, 2008

Speaking of Mother’s Day…

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Oh! Things!

What’s on your wishlist?

Do you crave a day at the spa? Breakfast in bed? A lovely dinner? Something shiny? Do tell.

(Me, I have my eye on a couple of things from Lee Valley. Oh, and anything from my Etsy favourites!)

Print this post Print this post

11 Responses to "Speaking of Mother’s Day…"

1 | Denise

May 1st, 2008 at 11:35 am

for mothers day, slow time with my family. non playstation. no t.v. a hike at Shubie Park in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. Visit my mom and dad. have breakfast with the whole extended family (nieces and nephews included) at a favourite diner. buy some pretty, nice smelling flowers and put them on the table by an open window.

2 | Mary Lynn

May 1st, 2008 at 12:13 pm

We have plans to go to a nice brunch place, maybe spend some fun play time with the kids at a park or somesuch, then visit my husbands mom and dad for dinner.

Don’t really have much in the way of things that I want…never wear jewelry and I have yet to book at appointment to use the pedicure gift certificate Santa left in my stocking (one of these days…). A bouquet of flowers might be nice.

3 | mark

May 1st, 2008 at 12:50 pm

That’s my wife ! A concrete mixer for Mother’s Day.

4 | Hillary

May 1st, 2008 at 1:24 pm

First of all, sorry for the generic comment…

I know either you read or have read my blog at some point and/or I really enjoy YOUR blog. I need to make my blog private for a time and possibly move to a new URL. If you are interested in continuing to read (even ocasionally, no commitment for daily reading required!) I want to invite you to my private blog.

If you’d like an invite, please go to my site via my name here in the comments and follow the directions.

Sorry to be such a pain. :P

Have a happy day!

5 | Marla

May 1st, 2008 at 5:05 pm

Peace and Quiet.

And perennials for my garden, and the time to plant them. Then a bath with a bourbon and a trashy magazine.

6 | porter

May 1st, 2008 at 5:07 pm

Your concrete mixer cracked me up…just wondering what the heck do you want that for?

I asked my husband not to buy me anything for mothers day because our gift is definitely everything we are currently doing to the house (the pool and such). However, I did ask for some time to myself…I know it probably sounds terrible, being ‘mother’s’ day an all…but I really, really, need some time all alone to do whatever I feel like doing.

We plan on doing something with the rest of the family later in the day….all the men are cooking-sweet.

7 | Soire

May 1st, 2008 at 7:45 pm

It’s a daddy weekend, so I’m getting exactly what I need – a day off to sleep in, rake my yard, and get ready to plant my effing tomatoes.

May 2nd, 2008 at 8:20 am

It’s interesting to see how many moms are craving peace and quiet. :)

re: the concrete mixer
I have crafty plans for it! Bwah hah!

9 | Laura

May 2nd, 2008 at 10:27 am

Being covered in wet slobbery kisses and hugs of my boys. That would make my mothers day perfect.

10 | smothermother

May 2nd, 2008 at 10:28 am

ooohhh, I like the perenials idea, plus the time to plant them and play in the garden.

This being only my second mother’s day (Max just turned one) I’m still new at this and don’t mind the time I get to spend with him now that I am back at work! Though I am sure that in a couple of years I will be asking for some alone time too!

11 | Sharon

May 6th, 2008 at 3:35 pm

IF they remember it’s mothers day. I would like ssomeone to cook me a four course meal. Ok just a meal would be nice. And to be able to go to Chapters pick out a book go home and read, while my kids sit beside me reading and my hubby bringing me a martini or two or three.

OH you want reality?
Yumm Hot Dog on the BBQ and a beer and book that I have.

NAC Ottawa events

Christmas ideas from Saunders Farm!

Frogs - a Chorus of Colours - at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Funhaven - Ottawa's destination for birthday parties and fun

terra20 Ottawa celebrates Earth Month

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

IMAX 3D - Journey to the South Pacific

bucketlist

etc.

• andrea tomkins: I don't this has ever happened before... but the winner according to random.org is commenter #87 - Nicola - the VERY last person to enter. :) Congr
  • andrea tomkins: Comments are officially closed to new entries! Stay tuned for the winner!
  • Nicola: For my second entry: I'd love some extra metal lunch containers, as I'm trying to phase out the plastics wherever possible...
  • Nicola: I turn the furnace down a lot when we are out and at night, and have been explaining the "lights off as you leave the room" thing to my son. I am als
  • Barb Sohn: We have a rain barrel in the front yard, two composters in the back yard. Our gargage is down to one small bag every week. We buy shampoos, cleaners
  • Deb: I coordinate the recycling program at my school with a team of students including black box, blue box and compost. We are having litterless lunches fo
  • Life of K: I LOVE the whole family of Boston Warehouse items like this cheese grater: http://shop.terra20.com/store/product/11035/BostonW-Cheese-Grater-Nutcrker/

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (14) and Sarah (12). I am the Editor of the Kitchissippi Times as well as Capital Parent Newspaper. I'm also a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999 (which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which). The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 655 and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's my latest:
Created with flickr badge.
Click the photo for details: what it is, where I ate it (if it's worth a mention!), and how to cook it (if there happens to be a recipe). You can also read more about this project right here.

Sideblog

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too:

Follow the Fishbowl’s companion page on Facebook

Let's stick a pin in that

Miz Mooz Women's Car