01 May, 2008

Speaking of Mother’s Day…

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Oh! Things!

What’s on your wishlist?

Do you crave a day at the spa? Breakfast in bed? A lovely dinner? Something shiny? Do tell.

(Me, I have my eye on a couple of things from Lee Valley. Oh, and anything from my Etsy favourites!)

Print this post Print this post

11 Responses to "Speaking of Mother’s Day…"

1 | Denise

May 1st, 2008 at 11:35 am

for mothers day, slow time with my family. non playstation. no t.v. a hike at Shubie Park in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. Visit my mom and dad. have breakfast with the whole extended family (nieces and nephews included) at a favourite diner. buy some pretty, nice smelling flowers and put them on the table by an open window.

2 | Mary Lynn

May 1st, 2008 at 12:13 pm

We have plans to go to a nice brunch place, maybe spend some fun play time with the kids at a park or somesuch, then visit my husbands mom and dad for dinner.

Don’t really have much in the way of things that I want…never wear jewelry and I have yet to book at appointment to use the pedicure gift certificate Santa left in my stocking (one of these days…). A bouquet of flowers might be nice.

3 | mark

May 1st, 2008 at 12:50 pm

That’s my wife ! A concrete mixer for Mother’s Day.

4 | Hillary

May 1st, 2008 at 1:24 pm

First of all, sorry for the generic comment…

I know either you read or have read my blog at some point and/or I really enjoy YOUR blog. I need to make my blog private for a time and possibly move to a new URL. If you are interested in continuing to read (even ocasionally, no commitment for daily reading required!) I want to invite you to my private blog.

If you’d like an invite, please go to my site via my name here in the comments and follow the directions.

Sorry to be such a pain. :P

Have a happy day!

5 | Marla

May 1st, 2008 at 5:05 pm

Peace and Quiet.

And perennials for my garden, and the time to plant them. Then a bath with a bourbon and a trashy magazine.

6 | porter

May 1st, 2008 at 5:07 pm

Your concrete mixer cracked me up…just wondering what the heck do you want that for?

I asked my husband not to buy me anything for mothers day because our gift is definitely everything we are currently doing to the house (the pool and such). However, I did ask for some time to myself…I know it probably sounds terrible, being ‘mother’s’ day an all…but I really, really, need some time all alone to do whatever I feel like doing.

We plan on doing something with the rest of the family later in the day….all the men are cooking-sweet.

7 | Soire

May 1st, 2008 at 7:45 pm

It’s a daddy weekend, so I’m getting exactly what I need – a day off to sleep in, rake my yard, and get ready to plant my effing tomatoes.

May 2nd, 2008 at 8:20 am

It’s interesting to see how many moms are craving peace and quiet. :)

re: the concrete mixer
I have crafty plans for it! Bwah hah!

9 | Laura

May 2nd, 2008 at 10:27 am

Being covered in wet slobbery kisses and hugs of my boys. That would make my mothers day perfect.

10 | smothermother

May 2nd, 2008 at 10:28 am

ooohhh, I like the perenials idea, plus the time to plant them and play in the garden.

This being only my second mother’s day (Max just turned one) I’m still new at this and don’t mind the time I get to spend with him now that I am back at work! Though I am sure that in a couple of years I will be asking for some alone time too!

11 | Sharon

May 6th, 2008 at 3:35 pm

IF they remember it’s mothers day. I would like ssomeone to cook me a four course meal. Ok just a meal would be nice. And to be able to go to Chapters pick out a book go home and read, while my kids sit beside me reading and my hubby bringing me a martini or two or three.

OH you want reality?
Yumm Hot Dog on the BBQ and a beer and book that I have.

NAC Ottawa family events

Fall family fun fun at Saunders Farm!

Creatures of Light Nature's Bioluminescence at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Litterless lunch solutions at terra20

Zen Kitchen is open! Use code FISHBOWL for free dessert

Nepean Visual Arts Centre

Visit tThe Village Quire in Westboro Ottawa!

bucketlist

etc.

• Tudor: So, I'm actually using the Jian thing as a chance to talk to my son about consent. There's been a lot of talk lately about positive consent, ever sinc
  • Three stories, and talking to our daughters about the creepy guys, AGAIN. >> a peek inside the fishbowl: […] already written about the issue of creepy guys here before. Yet here I am again. You know why? Because the issue of the creepy guys will nev
  • kjt: This is the one I use - neither compact nor pretty but works for me. It's almost 10 years old so this company may have advanced the product since then
  • Misty Pratt: I've considered investing in one to see if it helps my winter blues!
  • Pamela: What a thoughtful gift! This is brilliant
  • Ginger: This is so cool! I wonder if someone does this in our area....we just bought a house built in 1978 and it has had several owners. And I think the or
  • Stefania: This was a fabulous read. Love the note left in the kitchen.

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 850 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• I'm sharing some of my favourite lunch-related items over on the terra20 blog today. Whether you're packing a lunch for work, for your kids, or just eating at your desk at home, I bet there is something there for you. Check it out!

- #
  • I have a new post up at the MediaSmarts blog this week. It's my response to a question that I'm asked quite often: What’s the best age to give a kid an iPod touch?

- #
  • My latest post at the MediaSmarts website is about passwords. Is this something you've talked about with your kids? Given the proliferation of devices in households (often one per person now) it might be an important topic for discussion. How have you handled passwords in your household?

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: