26 Jun, 2008

Liveblogging the first day of summer

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

It’s officially the first day of summer holidays! I’ll be adding to this post throughout the day (scroll down for most recent posts).

8:00 a.m.
Were you expecting good cheer and sunshine here at the Fishbowl?

Ha. So was I.

The day is still young. Very. Very. Young. And there have already been several slammed doors and hurt feelings and now there is someone sobbing upstairs.

Good lord. Please don’t let this be a foreshadowing of things to come.

Hopefully there will be cheerier news to report later today.

8:15 a.m.
Sarah just came downstairs wearing a glum face. I could tell she had something to tell me.

“Emma said a very bad word,” she said.
“Oh really,” I said. “What was it?” (I really don’t know what I was expecting.)
“She said BE QUIET.” She looked like she was going to cry. The tears were welling up. “And it hurt my feelings.”
“Do you need a hug?”
“Yeah.” A smile sneaked back on her face, and we hugged.

9:09 a.m.
The girls tidied their bedrooms and are playing outside now. It took a couple of new “made-by-Nana” summer dresses and a big dollop of sunshine to turn things around for them. They dragged an old sleeping bag out (best.thing.ever!) and are doing who-knows-what with it. Old blankets made great playthings. Don’t you think?

A load of laundry is out on the line.

They’re calling for rain later. Perhaps a trip to the library is in order?

9:44 a.m.
Are kids happier when happily occupied? They’re deadheading my hanging plant. Go teamwork!

10:09 a.m.
They’re at the neighbors house watching some construction action (what is it with kids and trucks?) Emma came to ask permission before they went. I watched her cross the street and run towards the neighbor boy, her arms in the air, yelling “we can play we can play we can play!”

Ah, to be a kid.

10:21 a.m.
Observation: If I’m going to be hanging the laundry out on the line I’m going to need (a) more clothes pegs and (b) to chop a few branches off a fast-growing tree.

Also: is it just me, or does it feel really good to put away those infernal lunch bags?

Deadline city. Enough laundry. The vacuum will have to wait. Back to work.

11:31 a.m.
Lunch would be a lot easier if there were more groceries to choose from. I will scrape something together. After lunch, a quick trip to the beach (all in the name of research!)

4:16 p.m.
Home from a great afternoon at the beach (that’s a whole seperate post) and the library, followed by a quickie trip to the grocery store. We’re in the midst of a thunderstorm and there’s wet laundry on the line. *sigh*

I can hear that Sarah is building herself a laptop out of cardboard and sticky tape. This should be interesting.

5:00 p.m.
Mark is biking home from work. Salmon for dinner. There is a pile of laundry on the bed that’s so big that someone could get lost in it. And would ya tell me this? How is it that the books I ordered from Chapters arrive on the same day that I’m told that a book I requested MONTHS ago at the library is ready to be picked up? I just went from zero reading material to TOO MUCH reading material. (Although there really is no such thing, is there?)

6:13 p.m.
Off for an after-dinner stroll to Clare Park. Rumour has it there’s a Northern Flicker nesting there. THEN we’ll deal with that laundry.

7:16 p.m.
We’re back. No Flicker to be seen. The girls are putting away the laundry I sorted. Mark is helping Sarah, who has a tendency to make a mess of her closet.

I’m back to doing a bit of work here while I still have some energy left. Unfortunately (for me) I’m totally craving sugar.

–
8:42 p.m.
The girls are getting ready for bed. Mark is taking a Wii fit break. I rock at competitive hula hooping. I bet you didn’t know that about me.

9:01 p.m.
They’re in bed. Finally!
(BTW I’m reading “Last Child in the Woods – saving our children from nature-deficit disorder” by Richard Louv. I’ve read the first chapter. I predict this is going to be a good read. The library book I picked up today was “The Glass Castle: A Memoir” by Jeannette Walls.)

10:20 p.m.
One bowl of cereal and a bit of Last Child and a LOT of Glass Castle (eek, what a great book) and I think I am going to move myself upstairs to continue reading. What a long day this has been. G’night.

18 Responses to "Liveblogging the first day of summer"

1 | The Veg Next Door

June 26th, 2008 at 9:05 am

Heat = bad moods.

The Pea woke up on the wrong side of the bed and all morning (is it really only 10 am!?) she’s been complaining about something or other. She is now resting in her room. Mommy needs a break…

2 | karen

June 26th, 2008 at 10:57 am

I actally had to throw out the infernal lunch bag and was very happy to do so. It was filthy and the inside was all ripped.

3 | porter

June 26th, 2008 at 12:13 pm

I’ve still got today and tomorrow before our summer break officially begins!

4 | Honeymom

June 26th, 2008 at 4:36 pm

Yes, the lunch bag here barely made it to the end of the school year. I don’t know who was more liberated to visit the trash, that poor bag or this tired lunch lady!
Happy summer everyone :)

5 | Shan

June 26th, 2008 at 5:54 pm

Sounds like a very full first day of summer. I was pretty happy to be done with the lunch bag too. Good luck with that laundry.

6 | Mar

June 26th, 2008 at 7:12 pm

Sounds like a great start to the summer! I totally hear you on the library thing. The very same thing just happened to me, except that it was the very same book. So I returned it right away and waited for my copy to be mailed.

So, what are you reading :) Inquiring minds want to know!

7 | The Veg Next Door

June 27th, 2008 at 6:21 pm

I started reading Glass Castle and couldn’t go beyond a couple of chapters. I had a problem with the subject of the book. Maybe if I wasn’t a mom I wouldn’t be so sensitive.

8 | Julie

June 29th, 2008 at 7:19 am

I read The Glass Castle a few years ago (!) and didn’t realize until the very end that it was a memoir. It was a fantastic read… and knowing that it’s true makes it even more fantastic. Good choice. BTW: I just finished Rush Home Road, which I couldn’t put down.

9 | porter

July 1st, 2008 at 1:52 pm

I read the Glass Castle last year and would you believe I can’t remember what it was about, that’s what often happens to me when I finish books…brutal. I read Rush Home Road (Julie above mentioned it) and I also loved it…but then again I love Lori Lansens.

10 | LO

July 1st, 2008 at 5:10 pm

Glass Castle rocked! The author is amazing!
Have you read ‘Once in a House on Fire?’
My writing ‘helper’ insists all her students read it. Not easy-the story but worth it!
Also, anything by Jennifer Lauck:)
Lo

11 | LO

July 1st, 2008 at 5:12 pm

lovely bones too!
The Sky Isn’t Visible from Here by Felicia Sullivan (friend and memoir book)
Augusten Burroughs books
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers

Sorry,i’m going on and on about books
Lo

12 | Felicia

July 2nd, 2008 at 9:07 am

Laurel – I heart you. You’re my hero!
xoxox, f.

July 2nd, 2008 at 9:26 am

Ooh, thanks for the recommendations LO. I am always looking for something new to read.

Porter: The Glass Castle = memoir of a girl with really oddball parents. Remember? Her earliest memory is from when she was 3 y.o…. when she set herself on fire while making hot dogs on the stove. I still can’t quite figure out how she survived into adulthood.

14 | Liveblogging the first day of Summer ‘09 >> a peek inside the fishbowl

June 26th, 2009 at 8:07 am

[…] you do something twice does that make it a tradition? I did this last year and found it to be a fairly humorous observation of life here at Casa Fishbowl. So here […]

15 | Liveblogging the first official day of summer holidays >> a peek inside the fishbowl

June 28th, 2010 at 6:42 am

[…] done this twice before, and thought it might be neat to document this sliver of our lives […]

16 | Vicky

June 28th, 2010 at 9:57 am

My Mom just finished The Glass Castle. She said it was wonderful, but heartbreaking.

17 | Liveblogging the first day of summer, the 2014 edition >> a peek inside the fishbowl

June 30th, 2014 at 8:28 am

[…] a fun exercise that provides some insights (for me, anyway) into our own family history. (Here’s the first one, from 2008!) For me, the ability to look back is has always been one of the benefits of blogging. So here […]

18 | a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive The first day of summer holidays - a peek inside the fishbowl

June 29th, 2018 at 11:41 am

[…] that involved “live blogging” the first day of summer holidays. Mark reminded me of this post that I wrote on June 26, 2008. I had totally forgotten about that day. Fast forward 10 years, to […]