14 Jul, 2008

This is what happens when you don’t look at the stuff you’re buying

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

When the girls and I are travelling along highway seven heading west we have a few special routines. We get gas in Carleton Place. Coffee and TimBits in Perth. And then there’s Kaladar. There’s a big gas station with an old skool restaurant and a store attached to it. It’s the kind of store where you can buy straw hats, Pop Rocks, milk, and poison for your mousetraps. We’ve also discovered that there’s always a stash of old comic books to be had for a buck or two.

Most of the comics are “scary” ones the girls really don’t have any interest in, sometimes we find a Donald Duck or Uncle Scrooge, but it takes a bit of digging.

Last time we were driving through Sarah found a Bedknobs and Broomsticks comic (who knew?) and Emma found the only Archie. Sarah was disappointed, although I secretly thought she got the better deal.

Emma waved her comic in front of me. I didn’t take a close look at it. There was a big word printed in some illegible scripty font across the cover of it. I glanced at the word, but honestly, I didn’t read what that word said.

Now I know the word is PARABLES.

I accidentally bought a comic in which the Riverdale gang belongs to the religious right.

I know, I know. The fastest way to lose friends is to talk about politics and religion. But gee whiz Betty, this was weird. And if I had known what I know about that comic book now I wouldn’t have let the kids read it. (I would have bought it myself and stashed it away.)

As it turns out the whole thing is online as a PDF.

(I especially recommend the one in which Christian Archie organizes a Christian book store.)

7 Responses to "This is what happens when you don’t look at the stuff you’re buying"

1 | words words

July 14th, 2008 at 7:56 am

I KNEW it!

Allegory revealed!

2 | Chantal

July 14th, 2008 at 8:37 am

LOL that is too funny

3 | Mary Lynn

July 14th, 2008 at 8:54 am

Eep! That’s so odd.

4 | alison

July 14th, 2008 at 11:55 am

Maybe Archie will now see the moral error in his ways and stop dating both Betty and Veronica.

5 | words words

July 14th, 2008 at 5:28 pm

Alison – I’m pretty sure, in this version, Betty and Veronica would be blamed for tempting the poor, inocent, defenceless Archie.

Pray for him, so that he may find the strength to resist their sinful ways.

6 | Shannon

July 24th, 2008 at 3:37 pm

OMG. For years, I thought I must have dreamed them up, because the religious Archies were my introduction to comics, and no one else had ever heard of them.

7 | Bookmarks about Notebook

July 30th, 2008 at 8:30 pm

[…] – bookmarked by 2 members originally found by TenTen143 on July 16, 2008 This is what happens when you don’t look at the stuff you’re… http://www.quietfish.com/notebook/?p=1579 – bookmarked by 1 members originally found by […]