23 Sep, 2008

apple picking & apple crisp … must be fall

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

I’m looking for a recommendation for a great apple-picking place near Ottawa. Some of you guys go every year … where do you go for good apples?

I’ve been craving some comfort lately. Mark has promised to make us all some apple crisp. Below is a scan of his mother’s recipe. It’s no-fail… and the best in town.

apple crisp recipe

(Don’t you love a hand-written recipe? There’s something so sweet about it.)

15 Responses to "apple picking & apple crisp … must be fall"

1 | Mark

September 23rd, 2008 at 7:57 am

…and my advice is…DON’T SKIMP ON THE BUTTER. You’ll be sorry if you do.

2 | Mary Lynn

September 23rd, 2008 at 8:41 am

Mmmm…I love apple crisp. Most people seem to serve it with ice cream, but my mother and grandmother always made a custard sauce to pour on top. That’s still my favourite way to have apple crisp.

3 | david

September 23rd, 2008 at 10:35 am

we go every fall to Kilmarnock orchards. It’s between Smiths Falls, where I grew up, and Merricikville, on Hwy 43.
I can give you directions.

4 | Tali

September 23rd, 2008 at 10:51 am

We went to mountain orchards this weekend…it was nice, not too long of a drive. They have a corn maze, hot apple cider donuts, and they even had a book sale put on by the south gower library when we were there! I think kilmarnock is supposed to be nicer, but the drive is a little longer…

5 | J.

September 23rd, 2008 at 10:59 am

I think there is some place off March Rd. where you can go.. I don’t remember the name of it :S

6 | robyn

September 23rd, 2008 at 11:49 am

We always go to the applehill fruit farm on Jockvale Road (on the outskirts of barrhaven). Always great. And not much of a road trip, either.

7 | BeachMama

September 23rd, 2008 at 1:32 pm

We usually go to the one on Jockvale, but this year went to Mountain Orchard (www.mountainorchard.ca) the best apple picking day ever!! I posted about it on Sunda.

8 | BeachMama

September 23rd, 2008 at 1:33 pm

p.s. I use the same crisp recipe.

9 | Rosie : )

September 23rd, 2008 at 3:17 pm

Lovely new blog layout. Good job. :)

10 | Julie

September 23rd, 2008 at 4:33 pm

This year we went to Cannamore Orchards in Embrum. The orchard was beautiful, and the apples were in great condition, but it was pretty far for us. They have many extra activities available (duck racing, petting zoo, museum, etc…), but they seem to charge for each activity individually, and I didn’t find they were particularily clear about that on the way in. So we kept seeing things to do, but needed tickets, and then had to stand in line again….
Last year we went to Kilmarnock, which was simpler, and just as beautiful.

11 | Jen_nifer

September 24th, 2008 at 8:43 am

I was thinking of trying the Orleans Fruit Farm on St. Joseph Blvd by the end of the parkway this year with my almost 3 year old. Curious to hear on other’s experiences with this place.

12 | Soire

September 24th, 2008 at 5:29 pm

We went to Orleans Fruit Farm last weekend – it was GREAT! We were there for an hour, and got 20lbs of apples for less than $15!!

Loved it, and the kids are begging to go back, but gods I’ve still got apples galore!

13 | Mom On The Go

September 25th, 2008 at 4:20 am

We’ve gone to the Orleans Fruit Farm for the last 3 years. They have good apples and many of the trees are short enough for a 3 year old to reach apples on the lower branches without being held (important for your back and for them to feel like a “big kid”). I’d save a few a dollars to stop at the tent where they sell other sorts of produce, too.

14 | bushidoka

September 27th, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Here’s one I did for the boys lunch last week. I’d sent it as their main course even though it was technically a dessert. The teacher told my youngest son he is supposed to bring something “healthy” – I talked to her about it afterwards and explained that there was nothing the least bit unhealthy about this and that it was probably better than what most kids end up with for lunch. She apologised and said she should have known better from me :-)

Anyway, I had some whole wheat bread/pizza dough in the fridge, which has next to know sugar nor oil. I measured out 120g for each “apple pocket”, and rolled it out into about a 10″ circle – big enough to fit my large perogie/calzone folder thingy, but you can easily do it manually without one of those.

Then for the filling I chopped 1/4 of a large apple into smaller chunks, added 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1 tablespoon brown sugar. I tossed these in a little bowl before putting onto the dough and folding it over and sealing it.

Make 3 slits in the top, then toss into a preheated 350F oven for 20 minutes.

Done!

Really easy and pretty healthy in my opinion. The boys loved them! I made extras for me and my wife and we had them for breakfast as well.

15 | Apple crisp with toffee sauce >> a peek inside the fishbowl

October 20th, 2014 at 4:02 pm

[…] This recipe (mentioned at the bottom of this post) is pretty good, but if I’m really honest with myself I have to admit that it doesn’t really beat my mother-in-law’s recipe for apple crisp. […]

• Jinjer: I love that dog figurine so much!!!!
  • Dani: It's morrel season. Woot! https://photos.app.goo.gl/bE76iBETEpkDGU7w5
  • andrea tomkins: I will definitely check that out Tiana!
  • Yana: There is one near the train in Carleton Uni
  • Tiana: Oh there's a great book, if you haven't read it already - Gathering Moss by Robin Wall-Kimmerer.
  • Quail: Mushrooming is a fantastic hobby. Take a course in late September. These fun fall outings are usually very productive and often led by keen experts.
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive More about mushrooms - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] week I shared a quick recipe for mushrooms on toast. I deeply regret not running out and shoring up my mushroom supplies because I have a se

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999. The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.