28 Jan, 2009

Recipe for Oat and Molasses Bread

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - iKnead

oat molasses bread

(This is the bread I mentioned in yesterday’s post.)

Oat and Molasses Bread

2 1/2 – 3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 3/4 tsp sea salt

Topping:
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp large-flake rolled oats

• In heatproof bowl, stir boiling water with rolled oats; let stand until absorbed, about 15 minutes. Stir in molasses, butter, and egg. The mixture will look revolting. And it will smell. (I’m not a big fan of molasses, and I don’t like the smell, but I do love this loaf once it’s baked!)
  • Meanwhile, in large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water; sprinkle in yeast and let stand until frothy, about 10 minutes.
  • Stir in oat mixture. Add 2 1/2 cups of the flour, whole wheat flour, and the salt to form a sticky dough.
  • Turn out onto floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, adding as much of the remaining flour as necessary (the dough should not be sticky by the end), about 5-8 minutes. Feeeeel the dough. And use this time to meditate and to ponder life’s wonders. ;)
  • Place in bowl which has been greased with olive oil, turning to grease all over. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in warm draft-free place until doubled in bulk, about one hour.
  • Punch down dough; divide in half. On floured surface, pat down each half into a rough 11 x 8 rectangle (it doesn’t need to be perfect). Starting at the short end, roll into cylinder. Pinch the ends to seal and place each roll into greased 8 x 4 loaf pan, seam side down. Cover with tea towel and let rise in a warm draft-free place for about an hour.
  • Topping: Brush loaves with egg; sprinkle with oats. Bake in centre of 375F oven until loaves turn brown on top and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom, about 40 minutes. Let cool on racks before slicing.

Let me know if you try this recipe. I’d love to know how it turned out for you!

Tags: ,

8 Responses to "Recipe for Oat and Molasses Bread"

1 | Hellcat13

January 28th, 2009 at 8:53 pm

It’s on my to-do list for tomorrow :) Thanks for posting!

2 | Susan

January 29th, 2009 at 7:47 am

That looks great. I am going to try to rejig it for a bread machine (I’m a lazy cook), and give it a try on the weekend.

3 | Hellcat13

February 4th, 2009 at 6:13 pm

PS – YUM!!! Loved it. My husband really enjoyed it too.

February 4th, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Great! I’m so glad you liked it. Thanks for letting me know!

5 | egirlwonder

August 9th, 2009 at 11:35 pm

Made this tonight – so glad it makes two loves, because it tastes great! Thank you!

(formerly from Ottawa; now out in BC)

6 | Jennifer

November 13th, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Just took the loaves out of the oven and they smell and look amazing!!! Great recipe.

7 | Egginabowl >> a peek inside the fishbowl

September 25th, 2010 at 10:06 am

[…] cheap or declassé, but after I’ve beaten an egg and used it for an egg wash (say, for a bread or pretzel recipe) it pains me to flush the remainder down the sink. So I eat it. I throw it in […]

8 | Tahnis

November 23rd, 2010 at 11:41 am

I made this bread over the weekend and took it to a dinner party where it was a huge hit.

The only thing is that I baked it at 350 not 375 and I only baked it for about 25 minutes. I often find that bread recipes say to bake the bread in an extremely hot oven (often at 400) and for quite a long period of time. I’ve always found that my loaves are ready much sooner. And I don’t have an extremely hot oven. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Thanks for the recipe, it’s great and I will certainly use it again.

• Lynn: Bongo Cat is GENIUS. Also: the Ghibli museum is going on my dream travel wish list now.
  • Escaper: This tweet has the correct title. Already tired of this coronavirus...
  • Katie: Thank you for BONGO CAT! I needed that.
  • andrea tomkins: Thank you Jinjer! I'm glad to know you are reading along! :)
  • Jinjer: I read your blog but do so via Feedly so that's why you don't see me as a subscriber and I'm usually in a hurry so I don't comment often, but I do rea
  • andrea tomkins: I am just overwhelmed by the idea of doing a blog export. Most posts I want to keep, but some I don't (eg some contests and giveaways of days gone by)
  • Lynn: So lovely! I have been thinking of doing a post like this - what is life like on a daily basis these days? Where is everyone, and how are they doing?