02 Jan, 2009

Ringing in the New Year with bacon grease and a few birds

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Ottawa for kids|Easy ways to make kids happy|Photography

Despite what you may have thought after reading out our lack of plans in that rather desperate-sounding post, our New Year’s actually turned out pretty good. We postponed our trip to Alight at Night because of the weather. Instead we elected to have an easy dinner and hunker down to watch a few Nature shows Mark recorded. At around 8:00 p.m. we bundled up and went for a walk around the neighborhood, stopping at Dovercourt along the way, where the girls took a couple turns down the ice hill. Late in the day I had heard that Dovercourt was hosting a Labyrinth Event, with an art table for the kids and a potluck cookie table, so we ducked inside for a minute to check that out too.

New Year's at Dovercourt

We came home and watched the Sound of Music, which brought us exactly to 11:55 at which point we switched over to watch the last few minutes of Dick Clark. We wished each other a Happy New Year and were in bed by 12:05. Works for me!

We were supposed to go to a New Year’s Day party the next day but it was cancelled. So we quickly made up a fun Plan B. We had brunch here at home (breakfast sausages, scrambled eggs and croissants) and then cooked up some treats for the birds.

These are made with a couple of bagels and a stale baguette, spread with a mixture of bacon grease and peanut butter and sprinkled with mixed seed.

seed snacks for birds and squirrels

We were heading over to my in-laws, so we made a stop at Stoney Swamp along the way. We only stayed long enough to hang them on the trees and snap a few photos. It was too cold for much of anything else, but as I look over these photos now it reminds me yet again that photography is one thing which truly brings me joy and happiness.

Black-capped Chickadee

Black-capped Chickadee and a bagel

Black-capped Chickadee - mid snack

Black-capped Chickadee - mid snack

Black-capped Chickadee - mid snack

Black-capped Chickadee

After that we hunkered down at Nana and Papa’s house. We played Lego Indiana Jones on the Wii and roasted our toes by the fire.

Today, I predict more hunkering and meatball sandwiches for lunch.

Tags: , ,

6 Responses to "Ringing in the New Year with bacon grease and a few birds"

1 | scatteredmom

January 2nd, 2009 at 12:40 pm

I love the photos! I threw a little hamster feed out our back door in the hopes that chickadees would visit us, but the crows came and ate it all first.

Glad you had a good time. Jake tells me Lego Indiana Jones is a LOT of fun…and we became addicted to the Star Wars version over the holidays.

2 | Porter

January 2nd, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Sounds like a perfect day…perfect. I hope that your love for photography takes you places…you are talented, your passion shows through.

3 | Shan

January 2nd, 2009 at 10:00 pm

Sounds like a really great day! Love the pictures.

4 | vanessa

January 7th, 2009 at 10:04 am

peanut butter must be more pheramonally appetising than the ones we made with lard on fir cones rolled in seeds !
either that or all my local birds are wintering somewhere else

i have some beautiful photography of snow in scotland but i’m not going to show you !

5 | Guest Post: A Different Kind of Tweet | Family Jewels - Canadian Family Blog

April 1st, 2009 at 2:01 pm

[…] We’ve been feeding the chickadees at Stony Swamp since our girls were toddlers. We almost always feed them by hand, but have also been known to bring special treats. […]

6 | Celebrating New Year’s with kids in Ottawa >> a peek inside the fishbowl

December 29th, 2014 at 9:28 am

[…] we’ll take down the Christmas tree. Maybe we’ll go for a walk in the woods and bring gifts for the birds. Perhaps we’ll make a new family resolution too. (Here’s last year’s post about […]

• andrea tomkins: I will definitely check that out Tiana!
  • Yana: There is one near the train in Carleton Uni
  • Tiana: Oh there's a great book, if you haven't read it already - Gathering Moss by Robin Wall-Kimmerer.
  • Quail: Mushrooming is a fantastic hobby. Take a course in late September. These fun fall outings are usually very productive and often led by keen experts.
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive More about mushrooms - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] week I shared a quick recipe for mushrooms on toast. I deeply regret not running out and shoring up my mushroom supplies because I have a se
  • Jacquelyn: This is a personal favourite of mine. Try adding a splash of balsamic vinegar to finish the sauteed mushrooms - very umami! Also delicious with thyme
  • Jinjer: Yummo!!!!! I need that like right now.

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999. The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.