13 Jan, 2009

Who needs a burglar alarm when you live in a house built in 1943?

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

There was no mistaking it. It was a creak on the stairs. I could even identify which stair had made all the racket – it was the second one from the top – a particularly squeaky little devil I normally step over when I’m trying to be ultra quiet near the bedrooms.

The creak wouldn’t normally be such a big deal, but when we heard it it just happened to be in the middle of the night and everyone was tucked safely in their beds. Or were they?

Mark lurched out of bed (or maybe I pushed him out?) and went to investigate. It was Sarah. She was sleepwalking. She’d gone partway down the stairs and back up again. Mark tucked her back into her bed and we all (finally) went back to sleep.

She doesn’t remember any of this of course, but I’d love to know where she was heading.

8 Responses to "Who needs a burglar alarm when you live in a house built in 1943?"

1 | J.

January 13th, 2009 at 10:27 am

maybe she was heading for a midnight snack :)

2 | Marla

January 13th, 2009 at 11:19 am

Josephine sleepwalks, and I did too as a kid. My parents would find me curled up near doorways, for some reason. Josephine wanders around the house looking for us, or so she says.

3 | Jennifer

January 13th, 2009 at 11:36 am

OK – for those of us who are a little faint of heart, you should start a post like that with “This post has a happy ending”. I seriously thought you had a break in!!!!!! I had a moment of panick before I read the end. I’m glad it was only sleep walking!

4 | Javamom

January 13th, 2009 at 11:49 am

I’m with Jennifer here…I too thought someone was breaking into your house to steal all your beautiful stuff!

I babysat a little boy once who sleepwalked. Straight to the closet beside the bathroom where he would pee on whatever was on the floor inside the closet. Then he would go back to his bed. No one heard him but his mom kept wondering why she couldn’t walk past the closet by the bathroom without smelling pee. She thought maybe it was the cat….luckily they witnessed Christoph’s nightly escapade and were able to put a bucket in the closet until he “grew out of it”.

5 | Jen

January 13th, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Oh! My mom once intercepted me heading out the front door – apparently I was on my way to the washroom, LOL

6 | BeachMama

January 14th, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Now that would scare the crap outta me!

7 | words words

January 15th, 2009 at 8:03 am

Is it a little war house? We lived in one of those in Saint John, NB. We had neighbours who were the original owners from 1946. I love those houses.

January 15th, 2009 at 8:37 am

Yes indeed! It is a cute little place. We’re lucky to have two bathrooms and an office in ours.

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.