17 Mar, 2009

A few words March Break: here’s yesterday’s CBC interview

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life|Multimedia experiments

The superlovely producer at CBC emailed me a copy of my interview for posting here at the Fishbowl.

I won’t be listening to it. I just can’t, even though I can’t remember what it is that I said exactly and want to double-check to make sure I sounded okay. (Related: I also cannot read an article I’ve written for any newspaper or magazine after it’s been published. It hurts me to do so.) I guess I invest so much into these things that it pains me to revisit them. I know that makes me sound totally neurotic, but there it is. :)

The thing I’ve learned about radio/tv interviews is that the the time allotted goes by extremely quickly.

By the way, Adrian Harewood is just as nice as you probably think he is, and a lot shorter. :)

There are a couple of things I wanted to say yesterday. First and foremost: Parents, please go easy on yourselves. No one expects you to be perfect! We all have this expection of being perfect moms (and dads). It’s unrealistic and it adds to our stress levels. We’ll knit booties! We’ll bake cakes! We’ll soothe fevered brows with saintly patience! Our homes will sparkle and our children will eat every veggie placed before them with gusto!

In the radio piece I was introduced as super mom. It was very kind of them do so so, but they have no idea about those two baskets of clean laundry I haven’t been able to find time to put away. A real super mom would have folded that laundry last week.

The other thing I wanted to say is that it truly doesn’t take very much to make kids happy. Kids (of a certain age of course) are just as happy poking sticks into a pile of mud as they are jetting off to a warm climate. Crazy but true.

Kids need down time (and outdoor time). Do yourself a favour and don’t schedule every waking moment of every day. Kids need time to hang out and yes, even be bored.

Oh, there is more I want to say but as you know it’s March Break and I am rushing through this post because there is a pile of other things that need my attention right now.

I’m only going to leave the audio portion of this post online for a few days, otherwise I’ll burn though my bandwidth (and I can’t afford to do so) !

Thank you to everyone who’s taken the time to write, comment, twitter, or call me about it the radio segment yesterday. I’ve had a lot of positive feedback about it. You are awesome and YOU (yes, you) are what keeps me going!

Without further ado, here it is:

[audio:http://www.quietfish.com/notebook/voice/MarchBreak09.mp3]

9 Responses to "A few words March Break: here’s yesterday’s CBC interview"

1 | Loukia

March 17th, 2009 at 10:40 am

I didn’t get a chance to hear it and since I’m at work right now, can’t listen right now either, but I will try later. Congrats, though. And thank you for what you said – I get so worked up sometimes that I don’t have enough planned activities for my young ones on the weekends, or even during the week, I feel bad if they aren’t doing enough, when I know that they are just as happy to be at their grandparent’s house doing their thing… playing outside, playing with Play-Do, painting, etc. etc. etc.

2 | Jennifer

March 17th, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Just had a listen. You ROCK! Sounded great. I think it’s safe to say you are almost famous!

3 | Gwen

March 17th, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Great job Andrea! Glad you posted it here, I was unable to catch it live!

Oh, and you are not alone! I find it really painful to go back and read things that I have written that have been published. Even interviews that I have done. Not because they are bad, I have no idea why!

4 | Chantal

March 17th, 2009 at 7:31 pm

That was great. You sounded very comfortable and you gave a lot of great advice.

5 | Shannon

March 17th, 2009 at 8:19 pm

I thought it was fantastic – you sounded great. Great radio voice! I hadn’t pictured him as any height, so I will keep your “shorter” point in mind. I guess, when I’m, you know, picturing him, lol!!

Good point about kids needing so little to be happy – we had a lot of our March Break plans kind of dissolve for a number of reasons, and I really felt like I had let my kids down. But we spent several hours at the park across the street and in the back yard today, playing all together. They were so darn happy to just run around and play tag and scream and jump in mud. And in my mind I had been worried b/c today was the day I hadn’t “planned” anything.

6 | LO

March 17th, 2009 at 9:46 pm

Good STuff!
BTW i am the same way with anything i have published:) Too close:)

7 | Trea

March 17th, 2009 at 10:37 pm

I can totally relate to your not wanting to read/listen your stuff once it’s published … I’m the same, because you can’t make changes to something in print! Mistakes I’ve made in hindsight drive me crazy. But you were fab!

8 | archie

March 19th, 2009 at 9:42 am

wonderful interview. nice to put a voice to a name. in the middle of sofa fort building. must go. archie

9 | Gillian

March 19th, 2009 at 11:27 am

You did a great job! I’ve done lots of media training and prep in my professional life. I think it’s fair to say that almost nobody likes to hear themselves on radio (or read their quotes in print), myself included. The CEOs and public figures get used to it, but they don’t usually relish it.

You had a lot of value to offer, and came across as a good and entertaining resource on the subject! What more could you want? Bravo!

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.