09 Mar, 2009

My best superpower

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

I’d like to tell you about one of my special powers.

I can sleep through shrieking car alarms and bands of rowdy teenagers partying outside our bedroom window on a Friday night but when it comes to my kids it’s like my ears suddenly upgrade to Superhero Superhearing.

Sarah has a history of bloody noses and she knows what to do when she wakes up with a bleeder. She doesn’t panic like she used to but the other night she couldn’t find the kleenex.

“I need a tissue,” she said. Her voice was calm and quiet as it broke through the dark space between our bedrooms. I heard it on a completely different level, almost as if I was listening outside of myself. I threw my duvet to the side in a big black arc and bounded out of bed, somehow managing to leap over the laundry basket and not crack my toe on our cast iron doorstop.

Sarah was sitting up, holding her nose. It wasn’t bleeding, just runny. I felt around the bottom of our linen closet for a new box of kleenex and brought it to her. She blew her nose and took a minute or two to settle back down.

I stroked her hair and lay my lips on that warm, sweet-smelling part of her neck. “Thank you mumma,’ she murmured. “I love you.”

What are your superpowers? I would love to hear about them.

11 Responses to "My best superpower"

1 | Loukia

March 9th, 2009 at 9:03 am

I too have bionic hearing when it come to my kids calling out for me at night. I also manage to get to their rooms in record breaking time, too. Like I can jump over 6 steps just to get to them faster! (Well that is not really true but it certainly feels that way!) They holler, I jump! I’m well trained!

My other superpower is spending money. I am trying to get a handle on this one!

2 | Hannah

March 9th, 2009 at 9:10 am

Hey, it was nice to meet you on Saturday! :)
I wish I could sleep more soundly, I have super hearing ALL the time and wake up constantly thoughout the night. Its.so.annoying!

3 | BeachMama

March 9th, 2009 at 11:34 am

I, like you, hear my kids in a blink, most days. But, my true Superpower is knowing where they are around me. I seem to know if they are beside me or behind me or not close enough to me. I can just feel their presence, which is why I probably don’t feel comfortable leaving them with a sitter.

4 | Cath

March 9th, 2009 at 12:51 pm

I have the ability to spray ‘special sleeping solution’ all over B when she can’t sleep – it covers you in an extra special invisible blanket of love that keeps you safe and happy while mumma cleans the kitchen or nurses the baby downstairs …

What I’d really like is the superpower to grow anything back (plants, bones, love, etc etc).

5 | Ginger

March 9th, 2009 at 12:57 pm

My superpowers are still developing! But…somehow…when both boys are needing me RIGHT! NOW! I find a way to pick them both up and hold them at the same time. It is so hard to do because they are still wobbly and will suddenly pitch backwards but I find a way. Usually the way is sitting. But it allows me to comfort and entertain both of them for a short period.

6 | Trea

March 9th, 2009 at 2:08 pm

I only discovered my superpower when my son was born, and it’s on most of the time – patience. My other one is being organized (I’m a bit of a freak) – I think it’s one all moms discover they have in order to juggle their busy schedules!

7 | lacoop

March 9th, 2009 at 6:42 pm

I can see the future. I am able to tell our teenage son if he is going to be late for his part-time job the evening before he works. I can predict where our 8 year old daughter will have an accident around the house…and thus change behaviour and move objects before the accident happens. Now if only I could predict the lotto numbers….

8 | Nat

March 9th, 2009 at 7:00 pm

I wonder if it’s somehow genetic. I’m the same way with The Boy.

9 | Shan

March 9th, 2009 at 9:06 pm

I have super human patience levels. Also bionic hearing. My office is on the first floor at the very back of the house. My kids sleep on the second floor at the very front of the house, but I can hear them. My husband who is asleep right across the hall from them is usually oblivious.

10 | Carla

March 10th, 2009 at 6:18 pm

my superpower is I can turn a kitchen disaster into a kitchen yumster! seriously! I have astounded myself: a too mushy pumpkin soup becomes savoury pumpkin bread, garlicky humous is finessed until toddler says ‘yummy’, a too thick soup is watered down to an even better flavour, granola bars that didn’t set become cereal. Well, that is when I don’t manage to burn the dish…. but that is another story!

11 | Chantal

March 13th, 2009 at 9:52 am

Funny when I read this post initally I didn’t think I had a super power and then last night it dawned on me. My super power is my ability to cat nap. I has saved me so many times. I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat and I sleep for only a few minutes but i wake feeling rested. Last night I was making supper and I was exhausted. I had put the potatoes in the oven and had 15 minutes before I has to start cooking the steak. I set the microwave timer for 10 minutes and lay down on the couch. It took me a few moments to fall asleep but I did and woke with the timer feeling rested and able to continue with my evening. Super power indeed!

Expert lice removal services in Ottawa with Lice Services Canada

• Amy: A friend of mine makes tomato soup by taking a can of tomatoes, blending them a bit, and thickening it with flour or cornstarch.
  • James Hale: Long time, no speak. Jo and I love Terra20. Looking forward to your writing there. Speaking of diets, we've been doing keto since October, feeling gre
  • andrea tomkins: Lisa, I just LOVE the idea of cheeseburgers for breakfast. Sounds like the perfect hot meal, especially for growing kids!
  • andrea tomkins: The amount of sugar in grocery store products is positively astounding. Caesar salad dressing! Pita crisps! Ketchup! Battered fish! I wish I had a bet
  • Amy: I've recently been diagnosed with gestational diabetes, it's made me take a lot harder look at all the sugar in my diet. Even though I was trying to
  • Lisa from Iroqouis: I have no problem with ribs for breakfast. I love leftovers in the morning. No fuss no muss. Isn't that what leftover Chinese food and pizza is for
  • andrea tomkins: Food traditions are so interesting! I could continue to eat like this, but meat is my stumbling block. I would prefer to eat less of it, not more. I c