10 Jun, 2009

It’s almost time for movies on the beach!

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Westboro|Easy ways to make kids happy

BOB-FM’s Movies on the Beach is coming back to Ottawa and the first showing is planned for Westboro Beach on June 26th. Woo hoo!

This year’s theme is Sing-Along-Summer-Movies and you can vote for your fave on the BOB-FM website and also find out that dates of future shows. They rotate around Ottawa beaches too, which I think is totally fab. And it’s free! Double fab.

We went last summer to see Cars (Dani was there too!) and had a great time. Emma and Sarah loved whole outdoor movie-watching experience, and they loved playing with Tristan and Simon too. In fact there may have been talk of marriage. (!)

If you’re planning on going to Movies on the Beach, here are a few things to keep in mind:

• Bring folding chairs to sit in, and blankets to throw over your shoulders (or for baby to crawl on). Most Ottawans are chair people. If you’re a blanket person you’ll just be annoyed at the unbroken wall of chair people blocking your view and you’ll be miserable.
  • Snacks are good! We eat dinner beforehand and bring popcorn or small bags of chips and a drink. I can’t watch a movie without nibbling on something! Note there are washrooms on site.
  • The movie starts after dusk. They project it on a giant inflatable screen which is positioned on the shoreline.
  • Arrive early and do your best to position yourself away from the smokers (YES REALLY!)
  • Should you bring toys for the kids? I believe in kids making their own fun but it depends on the kids. You can bring a frisbee or a ball but the beach will eventually get kind of crowded for that kind of thing. Sand toys are a safe bet.
  • Bring a flashlight so you can find your car after the movie’s over. Once the movie’s over it’s freakin’ DARK at Westboro Beach.
  • It cools down quite a bit too, so bring a sweater (I sound like such a mom, don’t I?).
  • There are a couple of places you can park, including a large lot right by the beach. Parking is free. (Check it on Google Maps for specifics.)

Dani suggested bug spray … which might be an idea too.

(Thanks to Alison for the heads up!)

Print this post Print this post

12 Responses to "It’s almost time for movies on the beach!"

1 | Mark

June 10th, 2009 at 8:59 am

bring a sweater…and make sure you put a card in your wallet with your name, address and emergency contact number…and for god’s sake don’t talk to any strangers at the beach.

2 | Chantal

June 10th, 2009 at 10:03 am

:) to Mark’s comment.

Thanks for the reminder.

June 10th, 2009 at 10:07 am

It goes without saying you should always carry an emergency contact in your wallet.

:P

4 | BeachMama

June 10th, 2009 at 6:56 pm

I love this! They have a movie night in the Park near our house, but we have yet to go. My girlfriend and her husband also have weekly movies in their backyard and when they visit, they bring their equipment with them :).

Perhaps if it’s a good choice and my Mom is free to take the smallest family member it would be a good way to end off the school year.

5 | Loukia

June 10th, 2009 at 9:50 pm

Mark’s comment made me laugh!

This is a fun idea! The park in my neighbourhood did this last year too, like Anna said in her comment – it was an afternoon fun fest at the park, BBQ, games, etc. and even a sleepever, with movies on a big screen at 9 p.m. Tents were everywhere! I hope they do it again this summer! (We left for home as soon as the movie was starting, though…)

6 | lacoop

June 11th, 2009 at 5:23 am

Thanks for the reminder. We missed this last year, but we will try to make it this year.

7 | Julie

June 11th, 2009 at 7:14 am

How awesome! We definitely must attend this year.

8 | alison

June 11th, 2009 at 11:25 am

Thanks for all the advice Andrea. I’ve already gone to the Bob FM website and cast my vote. We are looking forward to going on the 26th. Maybe we’ll see you there.

9 | LO

June 11th, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Sounded great until the ‘smoker’ thing. That wrecks it for us…sigh:(

June 11th, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Don’t let that keep you away LO. No one smoked during the film, only before (tho’ that was bad enough).

I don’t want to make it sound like EVERYONE smoked on the beach that night, because that really was not the case. It was just our bad luck to sit behind someone who decided to light up.

11 | J.

June 26th, 2009 at 5:13 am

that’s great advice I’m looking forward to watching a movie on the beach this summer.

12 | Looking for things to do in Ottawa? Check out the Ultimate Ottawa bucket list! >> a peek inside the fishbowl

April 25th, 2012 at 12:33 pm

[...] Movies on the beach! (I can’t find any current info about it, but I posted about it here.) [...]

NAC Ottawa family events

Summertime fun at Saunders Farm!

Creatures of Light Nature's Bioluminescence at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

Litterless lunch solutions at terra20

bucketlist

etc.

• Javamom: I have an European friend who is also my on again off again business partner. the prime way we communicate is via facebook. but once you're in fb it's
  • Rebecca: Morning for me is best, absolutely. And I need silence. SILENCE. When the kids are gone to school I don't turn on anything, there's only the sound of
  • Lynn: Damn, surfing Facebook is my primary "down time" activity right now :). I heard an interesting documentary on the CBC a while ago about some resear
  • A helpful tool for writers >> a peek inside the fishbowl: […] Further to yesterday’s post about writing… […]
  • andrea tomkins: But here's the thing that freaks me out. I think all of these needs are in my head. I've basically told myself that I must have all of these things in
  • Javamom: Mornings. Coffee. At home on laptop. If the words don't come I can read, and/or make notes elsewhere (like a coffee shop). An empty house is a mus
  • Misty Pratt: I seem to do my best writing while I'm out walking, cycling or running. I've considered buying a little voice recorder so that I can dictate some stuf

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 805 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• I'm sharing some of my favourite lunch-related items over on the terra20 blog today. Whether you're packing a lunch for work, for your kids, or just eating at your desk at home, I bet there is something there for you. Check it out!

- #
  • I have a new post up at the MediaSmarts blog this week. It's my response to a question that I'm asked quite often: What’s the best age to give a kid an iPod touch?

- #
  • My latest post at the MediaSmarts website is about passwords. Is this something you've talked about with your kids? Given the proliferation of devices in households (often one per person now) it might be an important topic for discussion. How have you handled passwords in your household?

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: