BOB-FM’s Movies on the Beach is coming back to Ottawa and the first showing is planned for Westboro Beach on June 26th. Woo hoo!
This year’s theme is Sing-Along-Summer-Movies and you can vote for your fave on the BOB-FM website and also find out that dates of future shows. They rotate around Ottawa beaches too, which I think is totally fab. And it’s free! Double fab.
We went last summer to see Cars (Dani was there too!) and had a great time. Emma and Sarah loved whole outdoor movie-watching experience, and they loved playing with Tristan and Simon too. In fact there may have been talk of marriage. (!)
If you’re planning on going to Movies on the Beach, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Bring folding chairs to sit in, and blankets to throw over your shoulders (or for baby to crawl on). Most Ottawans are chair people. If you’re a blanket person you’ll just be annoyed at the unbroken wall of chair people blocking your view and you’ll be miserable.
- Snacks are good! We eat dinner beforehand and bring popcorn or small bags of chips and a drink. I can’t watch a movie without nibbling on something! Note there are washrooms on site.
- The movie starts after dusk. They project it on a giant inflatable screen which is positioned on the shoreline.
- Arrive early and do your best to position yourself away from the smokers (YES REALLY!)
- Should you bring toys for the kids? I believe in kids making their own fun but it depends on the kids. You can bring a frisbee or a ball but the beach will eventually get kind of crowded for that kind of thing. Sand toys are a safe bet.
- Bring a flashlight so you can find your car after the movie’s over. Once the movie’s over it’s freakin’ DARK at Westboro Beach.
- It cools down quite a bit too, so bring a sweater (I sound like such a mom, don’t I?).
- There are a couple of places you can park, including a large lot right by the beach. Parking is free. (Check it on Google Maps for specifics.)
Dani suggested bug spray … which might be an idea too.
(Thanks to Alison for the heads up!)