10 Jun, 2009

It’s almost time for movies on the beach!

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Westboro|Easy ways to make kids happy

BOB-FM’s Movies on the Beach is coming back to Ottawa and the first showing is planned for Westboro Beach on June 26th. Woo hoo!

This year’s theme is Sing-Along-Summer-Movies and you can vote for your fave on the BOB-FM website and also find out that dates of future shows. They rotate around Ottawa beaches too, which I think is totally fab. And it’s free! Double fab.

We went last summer to see Cars (Dani was there too!) and had a great time. Emma and Sarah loved whole outdoor movie-watching experience, and they loved playing with Tristan and Simon too. In fact there may have been talk of marriage. (!)

If you’re planning on going to Movies on the Beach, here are a few things to keep in mind:

• Bring folding chairs to sit in, and blankets to throw over your shoulders (or for baby to crawl on). Most Ottawans are chair people. If you’re a blanket person you’ll just be annoyed at the unbroken wall of chair people blocking your view and you’ll be miserable.
  • Snacks are good! We eat dinner beforehand and bring popcorn or small bags of chips and a drink. I can’t watch a movie without nibbling on something! Note there are washrooms on site.
  • The movie starts after dusk. They project it on a giant inflatable screen which is positioned on the shoreline.
  • Arrive early and do your best to position yourself away from the smokers (YES REALLY!)
  • Should you bring toys for the kids? I believe in kids making their own fun but it depends on the kids. You can bring a frisbee or a ball but the beach will eventually get kind of crowded for that kind of thing. Sand toys are a safe bet.
  • Bring a flashlight so you can find your car after the movie’s over. Once the movie’s over it’s freakin’ DARK at Westboro Beach.
  • It cools down quite a bit too, so bring a sweater (I sound like such a mom, don’t I?).
  • There are a couple of places you can park, including a large lot right by the beach. Parking is free. (Check it on Google Maps for specifics.)

Dani suggested bug spray … which might be an idea too.

(Thanks to Alison for the heads up!)

Print this post Print this post

12 Responses to "It’s almost time for movies on the beach!"

1 | Mark

June 10th, 2009 at 8:59 am

bring a sweater…and make sure you put a card in your wallet with your name, address and emergency contact number…and for god’s sake don’t talk to any strangers at the beach.

2 | Chantal

June 10th, 2009 at 10:03 am

:) to Mark’s comment.

Thanks for the reminder.

June 10th, 2009 at 10:07 am

It goes without saying you should always carry an emergency contact in your wallet.

:P

4 | BeachMama

June 10th, 2009 at 6:56 pm

I love this! They have a movie night in the Park near our house, but we have yet to go. My girlfriend and her husband also have weekly movies in their backyard and when they visit, they bring their equipment with them :).

Perhaps if it’s a good choice and my Mom is free to take the smallest family member it would be a good way to end off the school year.

5 | Loukia

June 10th, 2009 at 9:50 pm

Mark’s comment made me laugh!

This is a fun idea! The park in my neighbourhood did this last year too, like Anna said in her comment – it was an afternoon fun fest at the park, BBQ, games, etc. and even a sleepever, with movies on a big screen at 9 p.m. Tents were everywhere! I hope they do it again this summer! (We left for home as soon as the movie was starting, though…)

6 | lacoop

June 11th, 2009 at 5:23 am

Thanks for the reminder. We missed this last year, but we will try to make it this year.

7 | Julie

June 11th, 2009 at 7:14 am

How awesome! We definitely must attend this year.

8 | alison

June 11th, 2009 at 11:25 am

Thanks for all the advice Andrea. I’ve already gone to the Bob FM website and cast my vote. We are looking forward to going on the 26th. Maybe we’ll see you there.

9 | LO

June 11th, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Sounded great until the ‘smoker’ thing. That wrecks it for us…sigh:(

June 11th, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Don’t let that keep you away LO. No one smoked during the film, only before (tho’ that was bad enough).

I don’t want to make it sound like EVERYONE smoked on the beach that night, because that really was not the case. It was just our bad luck to sit behind someone who decided to light up.

11 | J.

June 26th, 2009 at 5:13 am

that’s great advice I’m looking forward to watching a movie on the beach this summer.

12 | Looking for things to do in Ottawa? Check out the Ultimate Ottawa bucket list! >> a peek inside the fishbowl

April 25th, 2012 at 12:33 pm

[...] Movies on the beach! (I can’t find any current info about it, but I posted about it here.) [...]

NAC Ottawa family events

Fall family fun fun at Saunders Farm!

Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Holiday shopping at terra20 - Ottawa

Nepean Visual Arts Centre

Visit tThe Village Quire in Westboro Ottawa!

bucketlist

etc.

• Shan: That was my goal for the year, but I really lost my way. Not sure why, but why not start today? Thanks for the reminder!
  • guest: pro tip: use the android app (or iOS) pcplus app to get your points adjusted, its really easy, just goto your receipt transactions and follow the prom
  • andrea tomkins: Laurel: We are too! So much of what I do is bandwidth heavy too. I guess what I neglected to say is that from a parenting perspective, it's easier
  • Laurel: I love this post even though I don't agree that having unlimited bandwidth turns children into zombies although some days I wish it would-giggle:) We
  • Susan: Like Chantal, I am also unemployed and have made some changes as a result. Namely: * Get properly dressed every day. No pajama or yoga pants. It do
  • Chantal: This post couldn't come at a better time for me. I have been off work since June and the first 3 months were amazing but I have been struggling since
  • shirley Darrington: I loaded my polnts this morning and went shopping at No Frills. I handed the cashier my PC Plus card and she scanned the card but it failed to give

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 875 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• My latest post on the MediaSmarts website is up, and it's about family social media accounts. (Yes! It's a thing! And I think it's pretty neat.) Is this something you do as a family? I'd love it if you left your two cents on the topic.

- #
  • I'm sharing some of my favourite lunch-related items over on the terra20 blog today. Whether you're packing a lunch for work, for your kids, or just eating at your desk at home, I bet there is something there for you. Check it out!

- #
  • I have a new post up at the MediaSmarts blog this week. It's my response to a question that I'm asked quite often: What’s the best age to give a kid an iPod touch?

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.

On this date in the archives

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: