31 Dec, 2009

Why I bought dinner at the gas station last night

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

Those of you who follow me on Twitter already know the story. Thank you all for your kind tweets and messages.

I would like to preface this post by saying EVERYONE IS OK, but I certainly was worried for a minute or two.

Oh, the irony.

I had just tweeted this when I looked out the window to see a car in the driveway and the mother of one of Emma’s friends carrying Sarah up the walk. The girls had all been sledding. Something was wrong.

Sarah was still wearing her snowsuit, but she was holding her face and crying. There was blood.

The story unfolded quickly. It turned out that Sarah slipped and fell on an icy part of the hill.

I was a bit stunned and didn’t know what to do. Her lower lip was incredibly bloody and swollen. There was a gash on the inside of her lip but I wasn’t sure if we needed a doctor to see it or not. I called Mark. At some point it was decided I’d take her to the clinic. As it turned out the clinic wasn’t taking patients. The lady at the front desk took a look and recommended we take her to the hospital.

And that’s how we ended up at the Queensway Carleton between 3:00 and 8:30 p.m.

Sitting in a hospital waiting room is a pretty miserable experience. We arrived there totally unprepared for a long wait. No books, no magazines … all we had was a Golden Girls marathon – and ourselves – to keep us entertained. All I had was a pen and a small notebook and a phone that was quickly losing juice. We doodled, played 20 Questions, tic tac toe, hangman etc. We discussed and wrote out top ten lists which I will have to post at some point because they’re too cute not to share (like “top ten ice cream flavours” and “top ten places we want to visit”).

The girls were great. Emma was very patient, and Sarah was good, even though she was pretty freaked out about the idea of getting stitches. As it turns out the inside of her mouth will heal without medical assistance. A clean slice on the outside of her lower lip only required a bit of medical-grade superglue to hold it together.

As far as I can tell she must have curled her lower lip around her lower teeth when she went down, with her upper front teeth chomping down on the outside of her lower lip as she hit the ground.

She’s gargling with hot salt water twice a day. Her gums are bruised but the teeth don’t seem to be loose.

On the way home from the hospital I stopped at a gas station to buy a loaf of bread and a bag of milk. I was supposed to have done some grocery shopping yesterday afternoon but I was busy holding a wet facecloth to a swollen lip for most of it.

Wow. What a long day. And it continues! Today we need to:

• take a trip to the emergency dentist once I figure out who’s on duty for the New Year’s Eve shift
  • find a new snowsuit for Sarah, as hers fell apart in the wash
  • meet some Deadlines and complete some Actual Paid Work that needs to be done today
  • do some friggin’ GROCERY SHOPPING, so we don’t have toast for dinner again.

Gah. Wish me luck. Happy New Year indeed!

But first, coffee. And yes, it is the elixir of the gods. Hallelujah.

22 Responses to "Why I bought dinner at the gas station last night"

1 | jo(e)

December 31st, 2009 at 10:00 am

I’m so glad it was nothing worse. Sledding injuries make me very nervous.

2 | Kristina

December 31st, 2009 at 10:04 am

Oh my goodness…what a rollercoaster! I am SO glad Sarah’s okay! And yes: Happy new year! :)

3 | Shannon

December 31st, 2009 at 10:07 am

I’m glad she’s ok, how scary. I am not looking forward to our first emerg visit.

4 | betsy mae

December 31st, 2009 at 10:20 am

Awww poor thing. I felt badly for all of you when I read this post, including the Mom who took the kids. I’m glad all is well, I hope it goes well with the dentist today.

So here’s my advice. Take out! Take out today, take out tomorrow, groceries the next day. Sushi, Thai, whatever.

Good luck finding a snowsuit, the stores are ridiculous and seem to stop selling snowsuits in November!!!!

ps-NO coffee in this house, I’m going to beg Bert to get me an extra large double double at Timmies….and deliver it to me here at home.

5 | A Crafty Mom

December 31st, 2009 at 10:25 am

So glad she is okay – yes, ER visits are scary and do make you feel incredibly vulnerable for sure. Her snowsuit fell apart in the wash? Oh no! Those are necessary this time of year, for sure. Hope you manage to get everything done today and have an opportunity to relax a bit tonight and celebrate.

Happy New Year!

6 | Littlehouse

December 31st, 2009 at 11:22 am

Oh what a day! Glad you all came out of it relatively unscathed. And a total parenting triumph I would say.

7 | Stefania (formerly The Veg Next Door)

December 31st, 2009 at 11:40 am

How scary. At least your wait at Emerg wasn’t too bad and thankfully you had access to a car to get you there (I’m guessing)!

Strangely enough, we were watching a Golden Girls marathon last night too.

8 | Nadine C.

December 31st, 2009 at 11:56 am

Glad to hear that she will be fine, these types of events can be quite stressful for everyone! The salt water rince is perfect and I know that mine loved to have homemade popsicles when it did happen to her once….About the snowsuits, we got a great one on sale at West End Kids and we intend to get at least 2 full Winters out of it!
Good Luck with everything and have a Great New Year!

9 | Carrie C

December 31st, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Goodness! Glad she’s ok. Can’t wait for the Top Ten lists – have a calm and safe New Year’s Eve.

10 | jennyjag

December 31st, 2009 at 1:39 pm

not fun at all..so sorry about her injury. we were sliding yesterday on a well-worn, icy hill and every time the kids went down, I jumped out of my skin. I can see how easily an injury can happen. little bumps at high speeds – eeeks! Hope this doesn’t spoil winter thrills too much and all the best for a quick recovery.

11 | Shan

December 31st, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Glad she’s okay. Hope the injury isn’t too uncomfortable for her.

12 | BeachMama

December 31st, 2009 at 4:20 pm

So sorry you had to sit around Emerg, but happy to hear that Sarah only needed a little super glue and now she will have a great story to tell of how she came face to face with a toboggan hill. We all have those stories, whether they happened when we were 8 or when we were 20, they are bound to happen.

13 | Laura

December 31st, 2009 at 5:10 pm

So glad to hear your daughter is fine and on the mend. What a scary experience! I hope you all relax tonight and put it out of your mind. Happy new year!

14 | Amy @ Muddy Boots

December 31st, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Glad to hear that Sarah’s okay. Emergency rooms are NO FUN, Golden Girls or not.

15 | Lynn

December 31st, 2009 at 8:27 pm

So glad to hear she is okay. What a heartstopper! Hope your new year’s eve is much less eventful.

16 | Brie

December 31st, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Glad to hear that everyone is okay and I hope you are all enjoying a great New Year!

17 | Scatteredmom

December 31st, 2009 at 10:34 pm

Oh, wow! So glad that Sarah is okay. I don’t know how I never injured myself sledding, as we went through the FOREST, with TREES and called it “Suicide run”. Recipe for an ER visit, no?

Hope you got everything done and am relaxing now for New Years :)

18 | Jen

January 1st, 2010 at 2:36 am

Holy cow, how scary! So glad to hear she is ok and on the mend. Take good care of yourselves and good luck with the snowsuit hunt.

19 | Chantal

January 1st, 2010 at 4:04 pm

I am so glad to hear Sarah is okay. Not a fun way to spend time, at all.

20 | Nat

January 1st, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Glad she’s going to be ok. Poor kid.

Happy 2010.

21 | After the fall and a New Year’s recap >> a peek inside the fishbowl

January 2nd, 2010 at 10:43 am

[…] A quick follow up to the last time I posted… […]

22 | Ten things >> a peek inside the fishbowl

January 18th, 2010 at 6:07 am

[…] we were sitting around the emergency department at the hospital with Sarah and her lip (she is totally healed now by the way!) we had very little fun stuff with us to keep us occupied. […]