02 Jan, 2010

After the fall and a New Year’s recap

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Ottawa for kids|Easy ways to make kids happy|Misc. life|Ottawa

A quick follow up to the last time I posted

On December 31st I took Sarah to the emergency dentist (there’s apparently always one on call somewhere in the city). He took some x-rays and took a long look at her bruised gums. It looks like won’t lose any teeth or need a root canal. Thank god. Sarah can’t even deal with REGULAR dental appointments. I can’t imagine how she’d cope with a root canal.

The inside of her lip looked pretty bad. It’s still swollen and is scabbing over. Mark and I suggested she tell kids that she was in a fight. She didn’t like the idea of lying. (Sheesh. “It’s not lying! It’s just having fun! You can tell them the truth later!”) So we suggested she say that she got into a fight with the ICE and the ice won, because that’s not lying.

The accident didn’t happen going down on her sled or at the bottom of the hill. She did a faceplant while walking up the hill. Her feet slipped from under her. A helmet wouldn’t have helped (unless it was one with a face and mouth guard).

Sidebar: lessons learned include (1) walk up the non-icy side of the hill with ARMS OUTSTRETCHED and (2) memorize mummy’s cell phone number.

She bled all over her snowsuit, which was close to being too small anyway. I threw the coat and pants into the wash, and I think something snagged on the pants.  When I removed it from the dryer they had torn open … too much be salvaged.

Fortunately, after the visit to the dentist we went to West End Kids to check out their snowsuits and  snagged a great sale. I got 50% off a pair of grey Columbia pants and 40% off a gorgeous black North Face coat for Sarah. (Her favourite things about the coat are the faux-fur trim around the hood and a belt.)

We needed to get a snowsuit that day because we were making our annual New Year’s pilgrimage to Alight at Night at Upper Canada Village. We did it all. We rode the horse-drawn wagon, the girls rode the toy train, we saw the gingerbread house and the light show. At some point we realized that Sarah’s snowsuit is the blackest of black. Oy, is she ever hard to see in the dark now. I am mildly worried that she’s turned into the invisible pedestrian, and am seriously thinking of adding some kind of reflective strips, like a removable armband or two.

Alight at Night was prettier than ever. This was the first year I didn’t bring my camera. I only had my iPhone.

Sarah brought her camera. She was pretty excited to have it and to be able to take photos whenever she wants. Here are a few of her photos (she was particularly entranced with the “fireworks” setting on her Coolpix):

Alight at Night - Upper Canada Village

Alight at Night - Upper Canada Village

Alight at Night - Upper Canada Village

We got back from Upper Canada Village around 11:00 p.m. The road conditions were pretty bad – cars in the ditch and all of that. We had just enough time to cook up some coconut shrimp, watch the Grinch, and ring in the New Year. We were all groggy and tired, especially Emma, who, unbeknownst to me would be throwing up at 3:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. She is better, but still in recovery. I am crossing my fingers that I’m not the next one to get sick. Gah!

Anyway, I hope everyone out there had a peaceful and barf-free New Year. Here’s to good health in 2010!

8 Responses to "After the fall and a New Year’s recap"

1 | Shannon

January 2nd, 2010 at 10:59 am

I’m so glad she’s ok! Teeth issues are scary! Poor her.

You’ve officially convinced me to check out the Upper Canada Village set up next year. I’ve heard about it but wasn’t sure if it was worth checking out. DS will be old enough to enjoy it more so we’ll definitely take a drive there.

Happy New Years!

January 2nd, 2010 at 11:25 am

It is worth a visit at New Year’s! It is lovely and quiet and very picturesque.

My advice: It’s over an hour from Ottawa so grab dinner there. In past years we’ve either eaten on site or brought a “winter picnic” (a.k.a. things we can eat while walking around… like sandwiches and carrot sticks and cookies and hot chocolate). We didn’t do that this year, so we left late and didn’t have enough time to wander around.

3 | Scatteredmom

January 2nd, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I’m so glad that Sara is okay. I too have dentist phobia and just the thought makes me…um…nervous. (lolol) Sounds like everything turned out okay though, which is good.

Happy New Year! Glad you had a fun time. Nights Alight sounds fantastic!

4 | Shan

January 2nd, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Glad she ended up being okay. So very cute she didn’t want to lie. Good work there Mom and Dad. Loved seeing the pictures.

5 | lacoop

January 2nd, 2010 at 3:26 pm

1. West End Kids is great! (full disclosure: we only shop there, we have no other connections, but the staff are just so darned nice).

2. Put reflective decals on the new suit (you can probably find some ‘fun’ ones, which look cool in the day, but do their job of reflecting at night).

3. Ouch…just thinking of the fall makes me wince!

6 | BeachMama

January 2nd, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Good news about the teeth, not something you want to have to worry about. Great deal on the snowpants, we got J’s there this year too.

We still didn’t make it to UCV this year, maybe next year when Apple is just that much older we will make it.

Hope that Emma is the only one to get sick.

7 | Mary Lynn

January 2nd, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Glad Sara’s okay. I was worried she’d have to get a root canal. I did a similar thing when I was in grade 7–fell while sliding on some ice. I ended up with a root canal and a kind of brown-ish front tooth. Oh, wasn’t that a fun thing to have all the way through high school till I was finally able to get it capped at around the age of 19.

Upper Canada Village sounds like it was so much fun. I used to love going there when I was a kid.

Hope Emma’s feeling better.

8 | coffeewithjulie

January 2nd, 2010 at 7:12 pm

So relieved to hear about the teeth being okay. We’ve had our fair share of dentist appointments and I hate to even think about Sarah having to endure it too. Hope Emma will be okay soon too. That’s enough excitement for one year, isn’t it?!