23 Feb, 2010

A brownie-related observation (and a recipe)

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy|Recipes and Food

Us three girls were sitting around the table after school today, eating brownies, just warm out of the oven. We were chatting about our day when I went to take a swig of milk.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” gasps Sarah.
I freeze, with my drinking glass halfway to my mouth.
“What do you mean?”
“YOU’RE GOING TO WASH AWAY THE BROWNIE IF YOU DO THAT!”

Good point kid.

I watched her finish her snack, and sure enough, she ended with a mouthful of brownie as opposed to a drink of milk. (What would you do? Finish with brownie, or the milk? This is a deeply philosophical question.)

Anyway, I’m not sure if this brownie recipe is as good as Nana’s (remember the list?), but this super fudgy brownie recipe I found is pretty darn good and very easy too. And I like easy recipes!

I’m also aiming to try this recipe for Low Fat Vegan Black Bean brownies (via my friend Stefania Moffatt, who blogs over at Ingredients For Life). Thanks Stefania! It sounds almost as good as the spinach and carrot brownies I made. :)

Tags: ,

7 Responses to "A brownie-related observation (and a recipe)"

2 | Kaitlin

February 23rd, 2010 at 8:22 pm

I would finish with milk. But, I prefer savoury to sweet, so what do I know?

3 | Rae

February 23rd, 2010 at 9:42 pm

I finish with milk – brownies are delicious, but alas give me reflux.

4 | Chantal

February 24th, 2010 at 2:19 am

i’m a finish with the milk kind of girl

5 | Hellcat13

February 24th, 2010 at 9:05 am

Must be an adult thing; I finish with milk too.

These, from Smitten Kitchen, are my new favourite brownies: http://tinyurl.com/yfc4kl8

They are so good, in fact, that I got Alice Medrich’s book Bittersweet out from the library. You guys, this was a BAD IDEA. My freezer is filling up as I test out recipes.

6 | Roz

February 25th, 2010 at 11:10 am

Hey! just wanted to let you know that i made the black bean brownie recipe you linked too last night. One of my colleagues who i work very closely with is vegan so i’ve made quite a bit of vegan food. In case you care about what i thought of them, they tasted ok (tasted like chocolate and banana) but they’re hard to pass as brownies. Did anyone else try them? Curious to know what others thought :)

7 | Roz

February 25th, 2010 at 11:10 am

*to, not “too” (oops)

• andrea tomkins: I will definitely check that out Tiana!
  • Yana: There is one near the train in Carleton Uni
  • Tiana: Oh there's a great book, if you haven't read it already - Gathering Moss by Robin Wall-Kimmerer.
  • Quail: Mushrooming is a fantastic hobby. Take a course in late September. These fun fall outings are usually very productive and often led by keen experts.
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive More about mushrooms - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] week I shared a quick recipe for mushrooms on toast. I deeply regret not running out and shoring up my mushroom supplies because I have a se
  • Jacquelyn: This is a personal favourite of mine. Try adding a splash of balsamic vinegar to finish the sauteed mushrooms - very umami! Also delicious with thyme
  • Jinjer: Yummo!!!!! I need that like right now.

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999. The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.