17 Feb, 2010

Snowshoes

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Ottawa for kids|Easy ways to make kids happy

I volunteered to help supervise a class field trip to the Gatineaus yesterday. The goal: snowshoeing.

Many pairs of snowshoes

And like every field trip, there was a little learning thrown in there too.

We learned about animals and how they dealt with winter. To summarize: they either sleep it away, tolerate it, or run away a.k.a. migrate.

We didn’t see many animals, but we knew they were there:

Beaver tree

Almost all of the kids embraced this outing with glee. A few were sulky and tired. Others behaved as if they’d escaped from the zoo, or had 20 cups of coffee.

Heh. Did you know that I happen to be one of those loud parents who has no problem asking other people’s kids to buck up/be quiet/STOP THAT? :)

Overall, the little people did pretty well on their snowshoes … given their inherent awkwardness (the snowshoes, not the kids).

Sarah on snowshoes

I, however, put mine on backwards.

Methinks it’s time to invest in our own. But first, we need to get more snow!

p.s. There are two great giveaways going on this week: here and here!

Trekking

Wolf kisses

9 Responses to "Snowshoes"

1 | Rémi

February 17th, 2010 at 10:16 am

Thought that wolf was real for a second.

February 17th, 2010 at 11:53 am

He used to be real, at some point! :)

3 | Finola

February 17th, 2010 at 12:34 pm

What a great idea for a field trip. It’s something that pretty much everyone can do, awkwardly, but equivalently, if that makes any sense.
I think it’s great that you can tell other people’s kids how to get a move on. I’m a bit afraid of other people’s children, and so I doubt very much that I will be volunteering for any field trips. By the way, is it odd that my daughter has had 0 field trips and she is in grade 2?

February 17th, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Finola : depends on the school I guess! Our school has 5 or 6 every year. Field trips are pricey nowadays … with the rising cost of fuel they tend to be around $10 each.

5 | Kaitlin

February 17th, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Part of the issue with field trips may very well be the trouble of finding volunteers. Some of it is up to the school as well. I remember having lots of field trips when I was younger, but after a new principal was hired, they decreased as the school’s budget was redirected.

The snowshoeing looks like a lot of fun!

6 | Nadine C.

February 18th, 2010 at 12:41 pm

My daughter’s class is going on that same field trip very soon . I usually accompany them on their outings but cannot make it this time(last minute thing…) . Thanks for the tip about how to put on the snowshoes ! I will make sure to remind her NOT to put them on backwards! Her entire class is so into field trips and judging by your pictures I know these kids will have a blast!
Oh and the wolfe really does look real!

7 | Shannon

February 18th, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Snowshoes sure have come a long way since I used them back in high school!!

8 | Mommy X

February 21st, 2010 at 5:23 pm

What a fabulous field trip and beautiful pics! I’ll have to suggest this one for our school…everyone can participate!!
Love that~

9 | destiny

March 4th, 2010 at 3:31 pm

HI IM FROM FORT MCPHOO
ANDI LOVE TO SNOWSHOE
AND I KNOW SO MUCH

IM IN AND IM GOING TO AWG

KEEP U UP DADED
PCE
(L)

terra20 Ottawa

National Arts Centre Ottawa

Lice Services Ottawa - Ottawa Lice Treatment and Removal Experts

• Sarah: Hardy Mattress in Westboro will make you a pillow. If it isn't right, they'll adjust it no charge. They are amazing!
  • andrea tomkins: Ironing on the bed is the lazy way of ironing sheets. It's so easy! Next time I do it I'll post a photo (or video)! :)
  • Anne: I need you to post a photo of you IRONING your sheets...on YOUR BED. You take ironing to a whole new level that I was not aware of!
  • a peek inside the fishbowl » Blog Archive I might be a little crazy about our bed linens - a peek inside the fishbowl: […] bought a new sheet set. I’ve been waiting to buy something for over a year because of our Shopping Embargo and the pledge we made not
  • Claudette: I'm like you. I could read all the tips about how to organize better and then I'd just get pissed off that I'm not doing it the fashionable way so I e
  • sabrina: I forgot to add this part about my wine loving fantasies: I'm wearing a cute cocktail dress as my husband and I arrive home from work and decide to c
  • andrea tomkins: It occurred to me that a good place to begin would be the places you feel the highest degree of Household Rage and Annoyance. For me, this has been th

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (17) and Sarah (15). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.