26 Mar, 2010

The family Easter

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Easy ways to make kids happy

We’re not churchgoing folk, but Easter is one of my favourite times of the year. I can’t believe it’s just around the corner.

I love our Easter traditions.

For awhile we successfully convinced our children that the wild rabbits in our neighborhood were part of an army of spies for the Easter bunny, who watched children to see if they’ve been good all year. (Whatever works, right??)  Emma has cottoned on, but I’m not so sure about Sarah. Long ears for better hearing, brown fur for camouflage … make sense to me too. :)

Creating family traditions is one of of the most fun things about being a parent. We are able to break away from some our own family traditions and create some new ones.

Another Easter tradition of ours (and I know I have written about it before – but I truly love it) is that all of our plush rabbits – big and small – magically convene in the living room on Easter morning to welcome two new bunnies to our ever-expanding bunny family. It’s a miracle, and it happens every year. It’s amazing how much they’ve multiplied over the years.

I want to add to this tradition by making Easter bunny prints on the floor this year, using a template of bunny feet and a dusting of cocoa powder. Just for fun.

We also like to dye eggs, bring branches from the outdoors for decorating, and eat lots of chocolate. It can be a lot of work sometimes (ok, maybe not the part about the chocolate) but it makes me so happy.

What are your Easter traditions?

11 Responses to "The family Easter"

1 | Marla

March 26th, 2010 at 9:29 am

Our decoration? Chocolate covered raisins = Bunny Poop. That’s about it!

2 | Jodi

March 26th, 2010 at 9:51 am

I love your blog – so much so that I want to nominate you for an award! http://wp.me/pNHSk-2z – for more information on it. Keep up the good work. And enjoy the new puppy!!

3 | Kaitlin

March 26th, 2010 at 9:58 am

Ha! I love the part about the rabbits multiplying. It’ll be a good analogy for the birds and bees conversation down the road, me thinks.

March 26th, 2010 at 10:09 am

Marla – I love bunnies and can’t resist them.

Jodi: thank you!

Katilin: Down the road? We’re already there! Gah!

5 | Shan

March 26th, 2010 at 6:10 pm

At our house the Easter Bunny always leaves a series of clues leading the kids to their treats.

6 | Nichole

March 26th, 2010 at 9:54 pm

I’ve been following your blog since early December for the advent calendar ideas, and now I’m hooked. Your writings and sense of humour are very entertaining and thought provoking. Your love for your family and quest to have them love the world around them not based on the latest and greatest gadget is inspiring. The family adventures and crafts are great ideas, and I especially love the family tradition posts like this. My son is nearly two, and as a full time working momma I don’t always have time to think up great stuff–that’s where your blog helps me. And by the way…the dog is beyond cute, there is nothing at all sweeter in life than dogs and kids. Keep up the great writing, and enjoy your Easter!

7 | mrsgryphon

March 26th, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Our Easter traditions involve a few small gifts that the Easter Bunny hides (last year it was a Pablo Backyardigans stuffy and a t-ball kit!), and we hide the big plastic eggs with a few jelly beans/chocolate eggs in each. We have mischievous pets, so keeping the chocolate and foil wrappers contained is a little safer for them! The Easter Bunny also remembers that Mom’s favourite chocolate is Lindt milk chocolate, and somehow always manages to leave those eggs up high so that Mom has to get them down ;)

We go to church semi-regularly, but Easter is definitely one of the times that we try to make sure we’re there. This is the first year that I’ve actually bought Easter dresses, and they are so cute!! A friend is hosting an “Easter Tea” for her daughters’ friends, and we’re all required to dress in our Easter finest. If she doesn’t do it again next year, I may have to adopt that as one of our traditions, too :)

We make “spring” themed crafts around Easter, to decorate the house – ladybugs and painted flowerpots, egg carton caterpillars etc. Fun fun!

Hope you enjoy your Easter, Andrea!!

8 | Gwen

March 27th, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Ha! Love that you told your girls that the bunnies in the neighborhood were “spies! There was a bunny in our backyard this past Monday and that is exactly what we told our girls. He sat there for a good hour with his ears twitching up every once in a while. We told them he was listening to everything going on and would report back to the Easter bunny :) They sat at that window looking at him for a looong time and they were on their best behaviour lol ;)

Later on in the week, we saw a similar bunny outside of another house and I told them that he was checking on some other kids. Oh the things we tell our children! But it’s so much fun :)

March 28th, 2010 at 7:33 am

Nichole, thank you so much for your kind words.

MrsG, craft projects have been a big part of our Easter holidays too. I need to come up with a good one this year!

Gwen, your comment made me laugh out loud. I was imaging your gorgeous girls by the window. Classic!

10 | Natalie @YMCBuzz

March 30th, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Love Easter too! @SharonDV just wrote about an annual easter egg hunt she does in her neighbourhood, made me feel wistful about not having a tradition. Now I really wish I did :)

11 | LO

March 31st, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Lovely-going to steal the cocoa feet idea!!! WE have a Easter ‘tree’ which consists of many pussy willows among other spring flowers real and fake and covered in ornaments of which most are homemade. Lots of hand blown eggs that have been decorated and every year we make some new ones. They stay safe in egg cartons throughout the year. We also have other Easter decorations on the ‘tree’ also. We have a big hunt in our little forest (we often find eggs months later) AND every year we rotate who picks what we eat for Easter dinner. While the tree is traditional (my husband is European), our dinners often are not. This year is Brynn’s choice and she is wishing for BBQ Ribs, potatoes and corn! The weather certainly fits! Happy Bunny Day!