01 Apr, 2010

Ten things to do with a roast chicken

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

The Know More Do More campaign has had me thinking a lot about the foods we eat as a family.

Roast chicken is one of the easiest things to make at home, but not everyone has the luxury of time to do so on a regular weekday.

The next time you’re tempted to take a detour through a fast-food drive-thru on your way home from work, pick up a grocery-store roast (or rotisserie-style) chicken instead. It’s probably just as fast, and better for you too.

Skip the wedge fries and macaroni salad and serve it with cut up veggies and a tossed salad. Or you can:

1. 1. Slice it up and make sandwiches i.e. fill a pita, along with some lettuce, tomato and a swipe of mayo. Bacon is optional. (And yummy.)
  2. 2. Chop it up and make chicken salad.
  3. 3. Chop and add to a green salad, top with fresh mango and avocado and a bit of lime-based dressing.
  4. 4. Serve it shredded on warmed tortillas and garnish like you would a taco.
  5. 5. Dice it up and use it as a topping for your DIY pizza(along with BBQ sauce, Monterey Jack cheese and a sprinkle of red onion.)
  6. 6. Tear it up and add to a prepared sauce and serve with rice i.e. bottled butter chicken or curry sauce
  7. 7. Make chicken stock.
  8. 8. Add to your favourite pasta dish. i.e. cook up some linguine, add pesto and cubed chicken. This works great in the summertime when the basil plants are getting unruly. :)
  9. 9. Chop up some veggies and add chicken for a quick stir fry.
  10. 10. Add to a soup. Or cook noodles in your stock (see #7) and add cubed carrot and chicken for instant chicken soup.

Anything to add? Please share!

p.s. Piggy Market in Westboro carries rotisserie chickens. Must check them out some day!

8 Responses to "Ten things to do with a roast chicken"

1 | ShopHaven

April 1st, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Our family always has roast chicken sandwiches. They are delicious and take no time at all to make. Most importantly my 9 month old loves it!

2 | Jennifer

April 2nd, 2010 at 6:19 am

Chicken pot pie. Very easy if you use pre-made pastry. Make it on the weekend, use TONS of veggies and freeze. Then you’ll have a yummy comfort food for when you are stuck for time.

April 3rd, 2010 at 9:02 am

I love chicken sandwiches. And I forgot about chicken pot pie. I have a craving!

4 | Denise Nielsen

April 4th, 2010 at 8:14 am

I love the smell of roast chicken cooking. LOVE it. And they are so easy. But there are days when there is no time and I do get one from the grocery store because it is a fast and healthy alternative.

My tip: I usually buy two – one to eat that night, and the other to cut up for sandwiches, soups, to stuff in cannaloni, or yes for a delicious, yummy chicken pot pie.

For the record, when I cook from scratch I usually cook two as well. Same reasons. Great leftovers.

5 | DaniGirl

April 4th, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Whenever I end up having to do groceries on the way home from work, this is our favourite dinner: one of the rotisserie chickens, a tub of tzatziki, cucumbers, tomatoes, feta and pitas. Chop the cukes and tomatoes into cube-sized bites, toss with a tiny bit of greek salad dressing, stuff into pitas with chicken, feta and tzatziki — so yummy, so easy, and the kids love it!

6 | Amy @ Muddy Boots

April 12th, 2010 at 5:33 pm

We like doing this with leftover chicken: http://muddybootsblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/thai-lettuce-wraps.html

Also, I saute some peppers, onions, tomatoes and add some spices, olives and chicken and wrap up in tapas shells to make chicken empanadas. My husband is from Argentina, so loves this use of chicken.

7 | Frugal Food Friday: The Whole Enchilada « Simply Fresh

August 6th, 2010 at 10:35 am

[…] to stretch your chicken and to keep you from getting bored with it. Here is a great list of things to do with roast chicken from Miss Fish – a stellar Ottawa food […]

8 | Foodiemergency a.k.a there’s nothing to eat in the house. Now what? >> a peek inside the fishbowl

January 31st, 2012 at 12:56 pm

[…] Grocery store roast chickens. I’ve written about this before. It’s amazing what you can do with a chicken or two. The other day we cut one up, simmered it […]

terra20 Ottawa

National Arts Centre Ottawa

• 4,258 deaths: As a society we MUST talk about this. It's bad and getting worse. The C in LCBO is Control and yet their mandate seems to now be HEAVY PROMOTION o
  • andrea tomkins: Thanks all. It's a tough issue for sure. And it's not like I don't drink wine, I do (and beer, probably more beer) but I agree that a line has been cr
  • Marguerite: Your post rings for me. I worked as a psychotherapist in varous treatment centers in Ottawa for 20+ years, mostly in women only facilities and I have
  • Lynn: I also think it's crossed a line somewhere. It used to be you'd think about an evening out with your girlfriends, and having a glass of wine there mar
  • Tudor Robins: As a non-drinker, this type of merchandise seems a little baffling, somewhat sad, even a bit tacky; never cute, or cool, or particularly funny. But I
  • Cath in Ottawa: I'm really glad you wrote about this - I've been really conscious of this trend the last few months and have been trying to sort out my feelings about
  • Misty Pratt: I've written about this before too, but have focused more on the wine-drinking mom culture. And hey, I'm no innocent, because I partake and crack joke

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (17) and Sarah (15). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 1550 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog