01 Apr, 2010
Ten things to do with a roast chicken
Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food
The Know More Do More campaign has had me thinking a lot about the foods we eat as a family.
Roast chicken is one of the easiest things to make at home, but not everyone has the luxury of time to do so on a regular weekday.
The next time you’re tempted to take a detour through a fast-food drive-thru on your way home from work, pick up a grocery-store roast (or rotisserie-style) chicken instead. It’s probably just as fast, and better for you too.
Skip the wedge fries and macaroni salad and serve it with cut up veggies and a tossed salad. Or you can:
- 1. Slice it up and make sandwiches i.e. fill a pita, along with some lettuce, tomato and a swipe of mayo. Bacon is optional. (And yummy.)
- 2. Chop it up and make chicken salad.
- 3. Chop and add to a green salad, top with fresh mango and avocado and a bit of lime-based dressing.
- 4. Serve it shredded on warmed tortillas and garnish like you would a taco.
- 5. Dice it up and use it as a topping for your DIY pizza(along with BBQ sauce, Monterey Jack cheese and a sprinkle of red onion.)
- 6. Tear it up and add to a prepared sauce and serve with rice i.e. bottled butter chicken or curry sauce
- 7. Make chicken stock.
- 8. Add to your favourite pasta dish. i.e. cook up some linguine, add pesto and cubed chicken. This works great in the summertime when the basil plants are getting unruly. :)
- 9. Chop up some veggies and add chicken for a quick stir fry.
- 10. Add to a soup. Or cook noodles in your stock (see #7) and add cubed carrot and chicken for instant chicken soup.
Anything to add? Please share!
p.s. Piggy Market in Westboro carries rotisserie chickens. Must check them out some day!