01 Apr, 2010

Ten things to do with a roast chicken

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Recipes and Food

The Know More Do More campaign has had me thinking a lot about the foods we eat as a family.

Roast chicken is one of the easiest things to make at home, but not everyone has the luxury of time to do so on a regular weekday.

The next time you’re tempted to take a detour through a fast-food drive-thru on your way home from work, pick up a grocery-store roast (or rotisserie-style) chicken instead. It’s probably just as fast, and better for you too.

Skip the wedge fries and macaroni salad and serve it with cut up veggies and a tossed salad. Or you can:

1. 1. Slice it up and make sandwiches i.e. fill a pita, along with some lettuce, tomato and a swipe of mayo. Bacon is optional. (And yummy.)
  2. 2. Chop it up and make chicken salad.
  3. 3. Chop and add to a green salad, top with fresh mango and avocado and a bit of lime-based dressing.
  4. 4. Serve it shredded on warmed tortillas and garnish like you would a taco.
  5. 5. Dice it up and use it as a topping for your DIY pizza(along with BBQ sauce, Monterey Jack cheese and a sprinkle of red onion.)
  6. 6. Tear it up and add to a prepared sauce and serve with rice i.e. bottled butter chicken or curry sauce
  7. 7. Make chicken stock.
  8. 8. Add to your favourite pasta dish. i.e. cook up some linguine, add pesto and cubed chicken. This works great in the summertime when the basil plants are getting unruly. :)
  9. 9. Chop up some veggies and add chicken for a quick stir fry.
  10. 10. Add to a soup. Or cook noodles in your stock (see #7) and add cubed carrot and chicken for instant chicken soup.

Anything to add? Please share!

p.s. Piggy Market in Westboro carries rotisserie chickens. Must check them out some day!

Print this post Print this post

8 Responses to "Ten things to do with a roast chicken"

1 | ShopHaven

April 1st, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Our family always has roast chicken sandwiches. They are delicious and take no time at all to make. Most importantly my 9 month old loves it!

2 | Jennifer

April 2nd, 2010 at 6:19 am

Chicken pot pie. Very easy if you use pre-made pastry. Make it on the weekend, use TONS of veggies and freeze. Then you’ll have a yummy comfort food for when you are stuck for time.

April 3rd, 2010 at 9:02 am

I love chicken sandwiches. And I forgot about chicken pot pie. I have a craving!

4 | Denise Nielsen

April 4th, 2010 at 8:14 am

I love the smell of roast chicken cooking. LOVE it. And they are so easy. But there are days when there is no time and I do get one from the grocery store because it is a fast and healthy alternative.

My tip: I usually buy two – one to eat that night, and the other to cut up for sandwiches, soups, to stuff in cannaloni, or yes for a delicious, yummy chicken pot pie.

For the record, when I cook from scratch I usually cook two as well. Same reasons. Great leftovers.

5 | DaniGirl

April 4th, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Whenever I end up having to do groceries on the way home from work, this is our favourite dinner: one of the rotisserie chickens, a tub of tzatziki, cucumbers, tomatoes, feta and pitas. Chop the cukes and tomatoes into cube-sized bites, toss with a tiny bit of greek salad dressing, stuff into pitas with chicken, feta and tzatziki — so yummy, so easy, and the kids love it!

6 | Amy @ Muddy Boots

April 12th, 2010 at 5:33 pm

We like doing this with leftover chicken: http://muddybootsblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/thai-lettuce-wraps.html

Also, I saute some peppers, onions, tomatoes and add some spices, olives and chicken and wrap up in tapas shells to make chicken empanadas. My husband is from Argentina, so loves this use of chicken.

7 | Frugal Food Friday: The Whole Enchilada « Simply Fresh

August 6th, 2010 at 10:35 am

[...] to stretch your chicken and to keep you from getting bored with it. Here is a great list of things to do with roast chicken from Miss Fish – a stellar Ottawa food [...]

8 | Foodiemergency a.k.a there’s nothing to eat in the house. Now what? >> a peek inside the fishbowl

January 31st, 2012 at 12:56 pm

[...] Grocery store roast chickens. I’ve written about this before. It’s amazing what you can do with a chicken or two. The other day we cut one up, simmered it [...]

NAC Ottawa family events

Summertime fun at Saunders Farm!

Creatures of Light Nature's Bioluminescence at the Canadian Museum of Nature, Ottawa

Ottawa Gymnastics Centre - Westboro

bucketlist

etc.

• Shayne Valinsky: This is great pictures.this is good once idea.
  • Misty Pratt: Except for the fact that someone has to do those minimum wage jobs, and it's usually new immigrants and low-income people with families to feed. So th
  • Natalie: My two cents. We have tried Supperworks, in fact we were regulars until recently. We were never disappointed. Their entrées for four fed our family o
  • Javamom: I guess one of the things we find hard to accept sometimes is that occasionally, time is more valuable than money. I get it, although I have not tried
  • future landfill: And yet, and yet. I've had a few decades of street photography, snapping pics of people and events in public places, cafes, pubs. Sometimes obviously
  • Colleen: It does sound fun, but a bit steep for my family.
  • andrea: We have winners! Dinner #1 on July 24 was won by nathalie d. Dinner #2 on August 21 was won by Madga. Congratulations! Thank you Saunders Farm

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times, Capital Parent Newspaper, and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 752 lunches and counting!

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's my latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• My latest post at the MediaSmarts website is about passwords. Is this something you've talked about with your kids? Given the proliferation of devices in households (often one per person now) it might be an important topic for discussion. How have you handled passwords in your household?

- #
  • I'm over at the MediaSmarts blog today, putting together the online privacy puzzle.

- #
  • I had a really interesting conversation with my 14-year-old daughter recently. She was wondering why so many adults assume that teenagers are all the same: a bunch of lazy, self-involved jokers who are glued to their devices all day. I didn’t have an answer for her, really, only that people tend to generalize, and that this is Never a Good Thing, no matter who it is we’re talking about. [Read the rest at MediaSmarts.ca]

- #

A year before

• 2013-07-24 No articles on this date.

Got kids in Ottawa? These posts might be worth a click too: