17 May, 2010

Know More Do More Mondays: the veggie stash

Posted by andrea tomkins in: - Know More Do More

This past week our task was to:

Have fresh veggies and fruit in the fridge for ready-to-eat snacks.

I can’t believe how many veggies we consumed – especially me. I really didn’t see myself as the beneficiary of this particular tip. But wow … raw asparagus! Celery! Carrot sticks! Green beans. Oh my. We ran out of veggies. Note to self: I need to be better at replenishing the stockpile.

A helpful side benefit: the washed-raw-veggies-in-the fridge trick was ideal for preventing certain small humans from annoying us with that high-pitched ear-splittin’ head-hurtin’ call of: “MOOooooMMMMM I’m Huuuuuunnnngreeeeeee!”

Well dear, why not have some veggies?

Are you laughing? It works! Why not have an accessible veggie pile instead of a self-serve box of granola bars?

Anyway, this week’s tip is another one I made up, JUST BECAUSE:

Do 30 minutes of gardening every day.

Did you know that gardening is good for you? If you are busy in the garden you can probably stop renewing that gym membership you never use, because yard work involves muscles you never know you had. Gardening is almost entirely about lunging, twisting, stretching, lifting, yanking and squatting. Throw in some pushups and a walk around the block and it’s a workout and a half. YOU WILL FEEL THE BURN.

Speaking of which, you may be interested to know that a 150 lb person will burn about 270 calories doing general gardening. This is the equivalent of one Grande Starbucks (made with whole milk), or one Snickers bar, or 1.3 cans of Coke, or 0.4 Big Macs. (via this site).

The benefits for kids are numerous, and they go beyond just physical/calorie-burning. Kids can learn about plants (first teach them how to distinguish a weed from a plant!), bird-watch, and enjoy nature. They can help by raking, picking up stray sticks and rocks. Younger kids love to dig and look for bugs. I even saw our little kinder-aged neighbour mowing his lawn with a reel mower yesterday!

What say you? How about doing this challenge with us this week? And if you don’t have a garden of your own, how about helping a neighbour? Or coming over and helping me with ours? :)

Just kidding.

I am already looking forward to how great our garden is going to look next week. Woot!

10 Responses to "Know More Do More Mondays: the veggie stash"

1 | Binki

May 17th, 2010 at 9:46 am

Let’s hear it for gardening! Excellent for your mind, body and soul. My kids aren’t really into it though. : ( Not even the food/herb garden part. Other than eating the tomatoes – which they love. I guess that’s a good start. I’m hoping they might someday dig it. Or at least remember watching me and get into it later in life.

You forgot one great benefit of gardening. This applies mostly to front-yard gardening (fyg’ing). You would be amazed at how much your neighbours will come by and chat about this plant or that shurb or the grubs or the new condo tower going up down the street. You’ll quickly be exchanging tips, tools, and plants. Gardening is a great ice-breaker. Oh and don’t wait for folks to offer you plants. When you garden is bulging, divide your plants, then actively offer them to others. It’s a nice gesture and it costs you nothing.

And while we’re on the subject of front yard gardens…. Don’t be afraid to go grass-free. You beautify the neighbourhood, dump you lawnmower and enjoy your front garden much more than the backyard garden since you see it, smell it and weed it every day. Focus on drought resistant plants!

2 | coffee with Julie

May 17th, 2010 at 10:05 am

I am totally going to do the veggie stash! Maybe a new Sunday ritual or something?

3 | A Crafty Mom

May 17th, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I will def join you in the gardening challenge – my garden needs the work, big time!!

And I passed the veggie challenge with flying colours. I’m doing the South Beach diet and I’m eating veggies morning, noon, and night. I may turn into a cucumber soon :)

4 | ShopHaven

May 17th, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Gardening is definitely a workout! My husband and I did yard work/gardening all day yesterday and we can barely walk this morning. I highly recommend it :)

5 | mrsgryphon

May 18th, 2010 at 1:10 am

Ummm, I spent my childhood doing gardening chores on our 2 acres of land. I avoid it like the plague now :) I will, however, keep working on the veggie stash and banishing the granola bars (much to the 4 year old’s dismay!)

6 | Finola

May 18th, 2010 at 7:21 am

I’m going to work harder on the veggie stash. It’s so easy and has such great benefits. And really – raw asparagus and green beans? I will try them!

May 18th, 2010 at 7:49 am

Also: baby bok choy. It’s excellent!

8 | Shannon

May 18th, 2010 at 7:51 am

I’m in for that challenge. We just planted the garden this weekend and the weeds are already growing!

9 | Shannon

May 18th, 2010 at 7:52 am

What do you do with bok choy? I bought some the other day with good intentions but have yet to cook it.

May 18th, 2010 at 8:00 am

Baby bok choy is different from the bigger/older bok choy… much like baby spinach is different.

I generally serve it raw. I like it with a sprinkle of salt.

I’ve also diced it up and served it on top of Vietnamese-style soups. You can probably stir fry it too…

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark. We have two daughters: Emma (19) and Sarah (17). I am the managing editor of our community newspaper, the Kitchissippi Times. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.