12 Aug, 2010

Ottawa Brain Drain

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Ottawa

ETA: if you’d like to view the invite and RSVP online, do check out our Tweetvite for this event. Thanks!

This is something I’ve been meaning to do for a long time.

Many moons ago I was the co-director of an Ottawa-area women-in-tech group called DigitalEve. DigitalEve has long since gone the way of the dodo, but the core idea still resonates with me: the sharing of information between like-minded people can be very effective, powerful, and even fun.

At DigitalEve we hosted a couple of really interesting tech-related events. One was a speed networking night, the other we just called Coffee Talk. Although the time/location/theme of our Coffee Talks always differed it was always one of the most successful events. The talks were great: really informative, and dare I say, fun. (If you know me IRL you’ll know that I’m not that good at socializing with strangers, but seriously, even if you’re shy, it is FUN. Besides, you get to meet people just like you!)

There is already a post BlogHer recap being planned for Irene’s on the 18th. I would have liked to attend but can’t make it. But I’d like to offer up my brain anyway (as well as fellow blogger/BlogHer attendee Shannon/@zchamu’s brain) on the evening of the Wednesday August 25th. We’re calling it the Ottawa Brain Drain. Maybe there will be more Ottawa Brain Drains in the future? Who knows. Let’s start with this one and see where it goes.

Here’s what you need to know:

1. 1) It’s totally informal. Bring yourself, and maybe some questions/ideas to share.
  2. 2) Men and women are both welcome. This isn’t just about BlogHer, in fact, it doesn’t even matter if you attended BlogHer. Shannon and I both did and have plenty to say about it and are ready to answer any questions you may have. I like to think of this as an information exchange for all levels, no matter where you’re at…
  3. 3) … so let’s try to keep to the subject of blogging and social media.
  4. 4) It’s free. But I won’t say no if you offer to buy me a drink. ;)

This is an additional opportunity to ask questions and learn from people who’ve been to BlogHer and are active in the blogging and social media world. I hope you take us up on our offer, because Shannon and I love to meet people like us who are passionate about social media.

Who’s in? Leave your info below and/or check out our Tweetvite for this event

Ottawa Brain Drain!
Date/Time: Wednesday August 25, 2010 at 7:00 p.m. (Lots of time to read all the BlogHer recaps and gather your thoughts!)
Location: The Fox & Feather on Elgin St.
Hosts: Shannon and I.

Print this post Print this post

19 Responses to "Ottawa Brain Drain"

1 | sassymonkey

August 12th, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I should be able to make it. Put me down as a yes and I’ll let you know if I can’t make it.

2 | DaleAndAl

August 12th, 2010 at 2:26 pm

OK so I have seen you IRL and think you are a great at socializing with strangers – you fit right into our spinathon!! :)

Would love to join your evening event, I look forward to it!

Cheers!

3 | Mel Gallant

August 12th, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Please count me in! Looking forward to it. :)

4 | spydergrrl

August 12th, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Darn, sounds great. Raincheck for the next one! {please have a next one ;]

5 | Dennis Van Staalduinen

August 12th, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Sign me up! We were supposed to be at the cottage that week, but since we’re not, I’d love something to do that evening.

6 | Christine LaRocque

August 12th, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Sounds good! I’d love to attend.

7 | Brie

August 12th, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Sounds good to me.

8 | Kelly Rusk

August 12th, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Sounds like a good time!! I’ll be there!

9 | Thomas P

August 12th, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Great initiative! I look forward to attending one soon.

10 | Annie @ PhD in Parenting

August 12th, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I’d love to attend one in the future, but can’t make it on the 25th.

11 | Lara

August 12th, 2010 at 7:31 pm

I should be able to make it, but will likely be late (8ish)

12 | Rae

August 12th, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Dang. Hubby works nights that week :( I would have loved to go.

13 | Christine

August 13th, 2010 at 7:36 am

Oh, I remember digitalEve! This sounds like a great idea!

14 | Lynn

August 13th, 2010 at 8:45 am

Sadly, we will be out of town that week. Looking forward to the next one!

15 | Judy

August 13th, 2010 at 9:22 am

If my friends from TO have gone back I will be there. Not sure if she is staying for part of or the whole week.

16 | Laura

August 13th, 2010 at 10:56 am

Sounds great! I’d love to attend – thank you. :)

17 | LO

August 15th, 2010 at 3:28 pm

put me down for future dates-can’t make this one:(

18 | Kerry

August 24th, 2010 at 10:23 am

The Elation ladies are very interested, but unavailable that night. Please let us know when the next evening is planned.

19 | Neeroc

August 25th, 2010 at 8:22 am

Please add me to the list of next timers, can’t make it tonight but would love to know about future events.

NAC Ottawa family events

Saunders Farm annual passes for family fun!

Joan of Arc Academy in Ottawa

OMS Ottawa Montessori schools

Sara McConnell photography Ottawa

Rethink Tires - Community Renewal Fund

bucketlist

Veggie challenge button

• Alina: You did a great job, Andrea! You ate a variety of foods and the majority of them were nutritious. How would life be without a cookie, an ice cream, or
  • Ginger: I am going to try this out!
  • Margaret Whitley: As a long time Montessori Educator, student, parent, and supporter, I am pleased to see your profile of OMS. They are a fine example of what Montesso
  • Michael Milsom: Way to push yourself out of the box to explore another dimension..taking us all along for the ride :-) 21 days ..is a LOT of days to commit to doing
  • My 21-day vegetarian challenge is done! >> a peek inside the fishbowl: […] and sweet potato tacos (sort of based on this recipe), beer, tortilla chips and salsa* - snacks: DIY mango soft serve, coffee with milk, a
  • 21-day vegetarian challenge – it’s done! >> a peek inside the fishbowl: […] alfredo with kale and green onion - vegan black bean and sweet potato tacos (sort of based on this recipe), beer, tortilla chips and salsa*
  • Dee: If you do this again, you can get veggie sausages for your breakfast. Give me a heads up and I'll get them for you - my pusher lives in MTL :)

My name is Andrea and I live in the Westboro area of Ottawa with my husband Mark and our two daughters Emma (15) and Sarah (13). I am the editor of the Kitchissippi Times and a regular contributor to MediaSmarts.ca. I am a longtime Ottawa blogger, and I've occupied this little corner of the WWW since 1999... which makes me either a total dinosaur or a veteran, I'm not sure which! The Fishbowl is my whiteboard, water cooler, and journal, all rolled into one. I'm passionate about healthy living, arts and culture, family travel, great gear, good food, and sharing the best of Ottawa for families. I also love vegetables, photography, gadgets, and great design.

The #dailylunches project – 1000 lunches and counting

Every day I eat lunch and take a picture. Here's the latest:

Created with flickr badge.

Sideblog

• Two articles of mine were published in the summer issue of Ottawa Magazine. One is a Q&A with a dermatologist about summertime skin care (YES, those are my superwhite legs in the photo) and the other is a blogger face-off about bikinis.

- #
  • So I was feeling a bit ranty and wrote this post about raising children in an age of zero privacy in the hopes it will start some conversations! Please leave your two cents right here.

- #
  • My latest post on the MediaSmarts website is up, and it's about family social media accounts. (Yes! It's a thing! And I think it's pretty neat.) Is this something you do as a family? I'd love it if you left your two cents on the topic.

- #

... check out past nightstand reads right here.