20 Sep, 2010

Running out loud

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Misc. life

I completed the entire 9-week Couch-to-5K program today. (!)

I channeled my inner cheetah the best I could.

My iPhone was randomly shuffling through my entire library and the last song that came up during today’s run was Wayne Newton’s Danke Schoen. Dear lord, I so love that song.

Danke schoen, darling, danke schoen
Save those lies, darling don’t explain
I recaaaaaaall Central Park in faaaaaaaall
How you tore your dress, what a mess
I confess that’s not all …

I sang along as I ran and danced along my residential street, while wiping tears of happiness from my eyes. Hokey, but true.

I.DID.IT.

Today I’ve been thinking about how special and rare and incredible our bodies are. It’s a miracle that each of us is even here on this planet. I felt like a machine today, running, leaping, stepping, looking. This machine of mine is my most prized possession.

There is an expiry date on this machine too, but I don’t know what it is. I mean SHIT, it could be tomorrow for all I know.

It’s amazing that I have the life that I have. I am here. I am here. I am here.

I’m drafting up a couple of posts about the sugar fast, and about another aspect of healthy living for posting later this week. And I keep asking myself myself, how did I honour my body today? And how will I honour it tomorrow?

11 Responses to "Running out loud"

1 | Lara

September 20th, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Good for you!! Such a great accomplishment! Yay!

2 | Michael Gauthier

September 20th, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Hey, well done Andrea!! I finished week 3 today, so I am a few laps behind you. I hope I can do as well as you have done. Mike G

3 | Mrsgryphon

September 21st, 2010 at 1:38 am

That’s so awesome, Andrea! Good for you! I’ve got to get back on track myself, but haven’t figured out how to make that happen yet with my nutty schedule!

4 | Ginger

September 21st, 2010 at 6:27 am

So Awesome Andrea!! Such a great accomplishment and it makes me want to get back to it and try again and conquer week 7! I am thinking I will have to pretty much start over…but I am okay with that. In the name of better health!!!

5 | Sarah Zahab

September 21st, 2010 at 7:11 am

Yay! Congratulations, Andrea! Well done!

6 | Jen

September 21st, 2010 at 7:30 am

Congratulations on your accomplishment!!

“This machine of mine is my most prized possession” … I’ve been terrible to myself lately (lately…ha! try the past year), and really needed to read that today. Thanks for the reminder :-)

7 | Sara

September 21st, 2010 at 11:16 am

Awesome!!! Congratulations :) Inspiration to keep on slugging through week 4 :)

8 | Finola

September 21st, 2010 at 11:26 am

Congratulations Andrea! It’s a really great accomplishment.

9 | Une femme en santé

September 21st, 2010 at 11:39 am

Bravo Andrea,

Think about your first week and now, what a progress don’t you think ? It is amazing how we can build abality to run.

I did something similar with Donna Davis from Elation, I even ran a 10 k this summer.

We have power that we don’t always know.

Keep running !

10 | Donna

September 21st, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Congratulations – what a great accomplishment!

11 | The 100 club (a.k.a. my S.A.D plan) >> a peek inside the fishbowl

October 27th, 2011 at 9:34 am

[…] Although I completed the Couch-to-5K program last summer I really do prefer to walk. Fast. I think it might be better for me, and it’s less punishing […]

• link alternatif formasiqq: We're Australia's largest supply of expert critiques based on unbiased evcaluation and rigofous testing.
  • andrea tomkins: Thanks Lynn! I'm all about keepin' it real here. :) There's no point glossing over the fact that it took me three days to get over our jet lag, but I
  • Lynn: Last time I was at the one in Kanata, they didn't have any of the giant popcorn (which I am embarrassed to admit, makes up at least 25% of my at-home
  • Lynn: I'm really enjoying your Thailand series but I have to say, it is not inspiring me to travel at all. I am a terrible, stressed out, freaked out travel
  • Lynn: And this is why I just cannot bring myself to leave Canada. You are superheroes!
  • Jinjer: OMGgggggg I would've died on the spot I'm so terrified of bugs. YOur daughter is brave, reaching in there to remove the bag of nuts. And she must REAL
  • barristers: I have been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this blog. Thank you, I will try and check back more often. How frequently