24 Dec, 2010

Hourly photo project: Christmas Day 2010

Posted by andrea tomkins in: Photography

Lara asked me if I was going to undertake another Hourly Photo Challenge on Christmas Day. I was already thinking of doing it, but wasn’t going to post about it. But then I considered it for 1.2 seconds and figured, why the heck not post about it?

Here are last year’s results.

As per previous Hourly Photos – this is how it works:

• The idea is to take one photo every hour, on the hour, for the whole day. Christmas = chaos, so don’t worry about precision. We can only do our best!
  • We’re calling it Xmas 12 – the ultimate goal is to end up with at least 12 photos.
  • Use whatever camera or mobile device you prefer. I’m using in iPhone, because it’s easy. Post them to your blog and/or your photosharing site as you are able. Just make sure you let us know in the comments below where you’re posting them so we can all have a look. Tag your photos “xmas12” so they’re easy to find. If you’re on Twitter use #xmas12 so we can follow the convo.
  • Would you like to make this extra challenging for yourself? DON’T DO RETAKES. (!) This is not mandatory but I thought I’d throw it out there in case you’re the kind of person who likes a challenge. :)
  • I also wanted to add that you don’t need to be a photographer in order to participate. I know some people are shy to post their photos, but this is not a contest or competition, it’s about documenting your day in an easy and interesting way and seeing how others do the same.
  • Here’s a tip, if you have a mobile phone with an alarm clock set it for one minute before the hour i.e. at 7:59, 8:59 etc. This will give you a solid minute to get your camera ready and snap The Thing You Happened To Be Doing.

Please consider playing along! It’s really interesting to see what other people are doing  at the same time you are. (Um, that is, if in the same time zone, but if not, that’s okay too.)

Also: it’s not a problem if you can’t upload as you go. Upload in batches when you have the chance. Or even the next day.

If you’re participating please let me know in the comments so I can see the results of your hard work, and if you’re happy to lurk, look for the Hourly Photo post starting sometime tomorrow morning. :) Woot!

Tags:

28 Responses to "Hourly photo project: Christmas Day 2010"

1 | sassymonkey

December 24th, 2010 at 9:44 am

I’ll do it! Though I suspect my day will start later than yours since we don’t have children to wake us up early. ;)

2 | Liisa

December 24th, 2010 at 9:49 am

I’m in. do not expect works of art.

3 | Natalie Joy

December 24th, 2010 at 9:50 am

I didn’t participate last time, but I am soooo in this time. Have a great holiday!

4 | Shan @ The Fairy Blogmother

December 24th, 2010 at 9:51 am

I’m in! I was hoping you were going to do this!

5 | Sara

December 24th, 2010 at 9:58 am

Me and my fancy brand-new iphone4 are in!!!!

6 | Glen Gower

December 24th, 2010 at 10:02 am

We’re in. Had fun doing it on Thanksgiving, will definitely do it again this year.

7 | Josee DesRosiers

December 24th, 2010 at 10:23 am

I love doing that:)
Thanksgiving was a hoot!
See you tomorrow.
Joyeux noel

8 | Jen Hughes

December 24th, 2010 at 10:50 am

I would love to try this, but will probably just use Twitpic during the day tomorrow. There’s no way I’ll get computer time during our chaotic Christmas!

9 | Paola Mateus

December 24th, 2010 at 10:50 am

Great idea, I am in ! excited to photograph our day.

10 | FireMom

December 24th, 2010 at 11:05 am

Question: I won’t have access to post every hour on the hour. Can I do a big post the next day to show our day? I think that’s “cool” but I wanted to make sure! If so, count me in (at our blog).

December 24th, 2010 at 11:19 am

Firemom: Definitely. Not everyone has access, or even wants to. Next day is more than fine! I will still find you. :)

12 | Johnny Waite

December 24th, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I’m in; however, I won’t be uploading them throughout the day. Sounds like a fun idea.

13 | Ginger

December 24th, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I am in. I have like a total of 10 photos from last Christmas and that makes me sad.

I plan on taking a ton of pictures tomorrow to remember the boys’ third Christmas and this will encourage me to take them throughout the day and not just during present time!

Merry Christmas Andrea!

14 | Sherry

December 24th, 2010 at 1:25 pm

I think I’ll give it a shot and will post the results to my blog either that night or the next evening.

15 | Kate

December 24th, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Sounds like fun! I’ll probably do a big post on the 26th… and I think I’ll start today, as many of the photogenic things I do for Christmas are on Christmas Eve. :)

16 | Alicia

December 24th, 2010 at 2:26 pm

This sounds fun. I think I’ll give it a try!

17 | Charlene

December 24th, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Did it at Thanksgiving and had a blast!! Hopefully tomorrow won’t be too crazy to remember !

18 | Katie

December 24th, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Oh definitely doing this for regular Christmas and real Christmas (the 26th in our family). Will innundate Twitter!

19 | Sasha

December 24th, 2010 at 3:02 pm

I’m in! The more I think about it, the more I realize it will be a great way to ‘include’ the far away grandparents, not to mention provide a nice record of the day! I feel another Christmas tradition coming…

20 | DaniGirl

December 24th, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I loved doing this last year, and so even though I’m off to a late start, I’m in again this year. Since we do Christmas eve instead of Christmas morning, I’ve already started… just haven’t found the time to upload any yet.

21 | Michelle

December 24th, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Love it! Will try our best!

22 | Maranda

December 24th, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I’m in! Loved doing it at Thanksgiving, looking forward to it.

I’ll probably do a mix of DSLR and iPhone throughout the day.

23 | Judy

December 24th, 2010 at 9:43 pm

I loved the 10.10.10 so I am in for this one as well!

24 | Carly

December 25th, 2010 at 12:10 am

I’m going to give it a shot, though likely won’t upload anything until later in the day/evening.

25 | December 25th in Pictures « Fit for a kid

December 25th, 2010 at 2:20 am

[…] Andrea is hosting a Christmas Day hourly photo project. I am no photographer, but every hour on the hour today I’ll snap a photo. […]

27 | Saturday Dec 25 2010 – In Pictures « Fit for a kid

December 25th, 2010 at 11:01 pm

28 | Krista

December 27th, 2010 at 11:10 am

I’m late to the party, but did take pictures! Posting them now to flickr (lilbunnyrabbitz) and my blog :)

terra20 Ottawa